Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Good question, hopefully someone with more experience than me will answer that. I have only shot one polygonal rifle, and didn't shoot that one for accuracy, just function.

3,4, and 5R proponents are all almost fanatical in their beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkinpup View Post
      So what do you think on rifling 3 grove 4 grove or polygonal?
      The 5R has not failed me, heck even my 14.5" Saber does really well.

I really do not like less than 4 grooves, this is based on my experiences over the last 45 years.

Yeah I really did start shooting at 4-5yrs old.

By 12yrs old I was shooting 7mm Mauser and a .308win Browning.

Some kids liked to do other things, I spent my change on ammo.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Why not just go with a 6.5-284 for that bolt gun?

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by glane5910 View Post
          Why not just go with a 6.5-284 for that bolt gun?
          Wow, whole different ball game, barrel life of 1000 rounds vs barrel life of 5000+ rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            Wow, whole different ball game, barrel life of 1000 rounds vs barrel life of 5000+ rounds.
            this is one reason

Comment

The other is it's the same cal as my AR. I didn't want to have to buy more reloading gear.

Any experience from anyone that accuracy suffers from polygonal ?

Comment

I guess I caught this thread at the end. Certainly huge difference in bbl life. I assumed the OP was after more performance ballistically going with the bolt gun. Now if it were going to be just a hunting rifle, I don't think I've ever put close to 1K rounds down any of mine.

Comment

No basicly just trying to find out if anyone knows if a polygonal type barrel is less accurate than a standard rifling.

Comment

I'm guessing that would depend on the quality of the bbl to begin with. I don't think I've had a rifle with polygonal rifling but with handguns, I've seen no difference.

Comment

I had forgotten about an H&K 22mag rifle I had years ago. IIRC, it had polygonal rifling and it was a tack driver.

Comment

Try Pac-Nor for Grendel barrel, they offer very good customer service and will explain chamber and twist rate if you ask.

Comment

Did Alexander Arms ever come back with a post on chambers? Perhaps in another thread?

Comment

Nope. No reply.

From all of my searching on the 'net, I've kind of determined that the 264-LBC chamber would probably be the best (most accurate) in a bolt gun, especially shooting the 120-123gr bullets like I plan on doing.

The project is currently under way, so I'll post more as it progresses.

Comment

In my discussion with PTG they suggested the 6.5 BPC (Brindell Palisimo Cartridge) as a Grendel case with an optimised throat for bolt action accuracy.

I bought a BPC reamer.

Comment

another couple weeks for my barrel from Pac-Nor, everything else is ready to go. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X