Ok I did it, Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drnls1
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2018

Ruger - has plus of using ar mags vs Howa's $50 mags. Stock wise I think they are equal, both probably need a little opening up. Howa trigger was nice, not sure about the Rugers yet.

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by drnls1 View Post
      Ruger - has plus of using ar mags vs Howa's $50 mags. Stock wise I think they are equal, both probably need a little opening up. Howa trigger was nice, not sure about the Rugers yet.
      Good 2 know.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Jmccracken
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by drnls1 View Post
        I had my friend who has his ffl order me a 12oz Jard trigger for my Ruger. $113 shipped. Without his discount, it's $140 shipped. They have different pull weights. Check em out.

Comment

• drnls1
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2018

JM - thanks for the info

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Howa mags can be bought from Brownells for $43.

In truth, I would think you only really need one spare mag with a bolt gun, unless you plan on an extended string of fire PRS match. The type of mag is a non issue for me. Inherent accuracy is, and am still waiting on those results.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• mdewitt71
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

$43 mag vs. AR mag is still a big deal to me.... not too mention threaded barrel.

Now, if the Howa comes out with threaded barrel and drops price on the mags, having that mini action would be pretty dandy.
              ― George Orwell

Comment

• ricsmall
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Howa already has the threaded barrel. An extra $30 bucks per mag is a non issue. And you can get the howa in 22”. Another plus is Boyd’s already makes stocks for the howa, and those howa actions are slick. And they shoot. Do I want to try the ruger? Yep, sure do, but I too am waiting on some range reports to come out.
                Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• mdewitt71
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                  Howa already has the threaded barrel. An extra $30 bucks per mag is a non issue. And you can get the howa in 22”. Another plus is Boyd’s already makes stocks for the howa, and those howa actions are slick. And they shoot. Do I want to try the ruger? Yep, sure do, but I too am waiting on some range reports to come out.
                  Good to know but, I have yet to see any Howa 6.5G Rifle with a threaded barrel, only the barreled actions that are more than the whole Ruger rifle.
                  The spec sheet of the Ruger is 22" barrel as well.
                  $30 extra per mag is BIG for me and my GI paycheck... that is rounds down range or traveling money that I need not spend.

You are right though.... it warrants more reviews and range reports from both.
                  In the end, I will have one or the other I am pretty sure before the year is out.
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• drnls1
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2018

Howa is only threaded if you buy the action from Brownells. Purchased the Ruger, hopefully I will have time to sight in at lunch today.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

I can see both sides of this comparison. The cost per mag is less of an issue than the fact that compatibility trumps spending.

The benefit to the Howa mags is that they are longer, right? So you're not as limited with OAL? Or am I still misunderstanding the Howa advantage here? If so, and Howa's magazines are limited to the same cartridge length then the Ruger's ability to use GI/Pmag dimension magazines is a no brain-er win. In this column at least.

If I'm an idiot here, just consider it another case where my brain sprang open and these words fell out...
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• drnls1
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2018

I think its a tough call either way. I know stocks are available for the Howa, unfortunately the Boyd's have been hit/miss on quality, the LSS are not my style and more expensive. The stock on the Howa I looked at had less space on the left side, same as my Ruger. The barrel/stock is not touching on my Ruger, trigger probably a little better on the Howa. Action - toss up between the two. Another issue with the Howa mag is the release button - have heard it is easy to release the mag on accident. I think it all comes down to personal preference.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

I'm sort of watching the Ruger... sort of, b/c I have a Howa and it shoots pretty well. 20" HB, threaded and Boyds stock. The mag length in my howa is about 2.320" give or take, I measured it when I received it. I can load nosler 130's or ABLR's to 2.315 no problem, Hdy 129 sst at 2.320".
                          So it might have some length advantage over the Ruger/AR style mags.

Would have been nice if Ruger had come out with theirs earlier, I might just have gone for that one instead. But the Howa is doing fine. Only downside to the Howa (and this could happen to any barrel) is that it doesn't seem to shoot any factory loads very well, less than 1.0" (even 1.25 in a pinch would be ok...); wait it does do the Federal AE-tnt 90's.
                          But handloads it does several quite well; I am the limiting factor but can get below 1.0"/100 yd (when I don't stonehendge 'em hahaha!) and nice low SD's for 100 Eldm, 90 tnt, 123 sst, 130 ABs, 110 Controlled Chaos...

so for now my bolt-action is solved.
                          ........ for now
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• drnls1
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2018

I'm pleased with my Ruger. I know its not a precision rifle. I know the round will go where aiming and put the animal down. Just need to decide if I'm going to clip some coils off the trigger spring or invest in aftermarket. And then practice practice.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                              I'm sort of watching the Ruger... sort of, b/c I have a Howa and it shoots pretty well. 20" HB, threaded and Boyds stock. The mag length in my howa is about 2.320" give or take, I measured it when I received it. I can load nosler 130's or ABLR's to 2.315 no problem, Hdy 129 sst at 2.320".
                              So it might have some length advantage over the Ruger/AR style mags.

Would have been nice if Ruger had come out with theirs earlier, I might just have gone for that one instead. But the Howa is doing fine. Only downside to the Howa (and this could happen to any barrel) is that it doesn't seem to shoot any factory loads very well, less than 1.0" (even 1.25 in a pinch would be ok...); wait it does do the Federal AE-tnt 90's.
                              But handloads it does several quite well; I am the limiting factor but can get below 1.0"/100 yd (when I don't stonehendge 'em hahaha!) and nice low SD's for 100 Eldm, 90 tnt, 123 sst, 130 ABs, 110 Controlled Chaos...

so for now my bolt-action is solved.
                              ........ for now
                              post some pics up, I would like to check it out.....
                              Did you buy the barrel action and build from there or the whole rifle?
                              ― George Orwell

Comment

• GregP42
                                Warrior
                                • Mar 2015

I picked my Ruger up from the LGS today, looks good, stock doesn't touch anywhere. Now the question, does anyone know where they started on serial numbers? Mine ends in 005. Will hopefully have a scope mounted this weekend and get to shoot it.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X