X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flatland1
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2018

I have a tough time swallowing the notion that Boyds uses a poorer quality grade of laminate on their painted stocks. Look at how many OEMs they sell those painted stocks to - you think they're going to risk losing that part of their business just to have a little more margin on each stock? To be open about it, I've owned only two Boyds stocks - both were ProVarmint models with adj cheekpieces, and both were ordered as colored laminates with their urethane finish (one mountain camo, one blue/gray). The 1st one went on a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel w/hvy bbl, the 2nd on another Mini that I barreled in 20Tactical. The 1st one was a good enough fit that I didn't get around to pillar or bed it before selling it. The 2nd one I intended to keep for myself, so I glued aluminum pillars in, let is sit for a couple of days so the J-B Weld I used would be cured, then went ahead and bedded it with MarineTex. That's been a few months ago, and the rifle is shooting excellent groups still.

A5 - I'd hoped to hear that Boyds had taken the steps necessary to at least take a look at your stock, not particularly pleased to hear their response to your issue. I've still got two Mini bbl'd actions that are going to be re-barreled, and have been considering my options where stocks are concerned. I want one of these Minis to wind up weighing 8 to 8.5lbs, so staying away from a laminated stock seems to be a good idea. Have been thinking about getting a solid walnut stock from Boyds in Prairie Hunter profile. The other option would cost almost 3 times as much, and require around 6mo waiting period - ordering a Game Scout from McM. I have a Mini in 6 RAT in a Game Scout, and like that stock very much. May have to flip a coin to make the decision...

Comment

• FW Conch
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

f1, as far as the color stocks are concerned, Your experience mirrors Mine, as explained in My post.

I'm not familiar with the OEM painted stocks You mention, please list a few.

The failures I mentioned are well documented and pictured on on the net.

I'm sure A5 and Myself testified about our experiences truthfully, and did not bear false witness.

Anyone wanting to try one of the stocks in question, please do so and let us know your experience.

Thank You

Comment

• cwlongshot
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

I have a stock “made up” and in my basket @Boyds...

Its 225$ and I thought I would push the go button today... Its not the $$ Its the pending possible aggravation.

CW

Comment

• FW Conch
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

Push the button CW, You know You love a challenge...if there should be one

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Comment

• cwlongshot
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

Ran across this on uTube this am. Shows wood and lam type of painted stock.

CW

Comment

• cwlongshot
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                Boyd’s; can you not choose regular walnut blank? (Non-laminated)

If I could get hinged floor plate bottom end both my howas might get a wood stock, finish however I like.
                Yes a Walnut option is offered. Lam would be stronger and stiffer while only slightly heavier.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2018

Stock Ordered!

CW

Comment

• FW Conch
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

Good move CW, I predict it will work out well for You.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                      Good move CW, I predict it will work out well for You.
                      Thank you my friend!

I surely hope so!!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by cwlongshot View Post
                        Thank you my friend!

I surely hope so!!
                        I'm sure it will be a good stock for you sir. I wish now I had gone with the walnut stock but since I hunt in all weather conditions I choose the lamanite black painted one.

Other then what I feel is way more sanding then should have been needed to free float the barrel and clearance the bolt race way, it has been a good stock, I really like it, it fits me great and balances well.

But then those chunks broke free and I had too start doing yet more finish work, waiting on a piller and glass bed kit now.

What I want to make sure others know is I'm not so much bashing or hating the product. I feel I got a lemon and that happens sometimes even with the best company's products.

What has leavt a bad taste in my mouth is the (normal wear and tear line) boyd's gave me. That alone has sealed their coffen with ever getting my business again.

As it is I have the rifle back together and irs shooting great again but until it's piller and glass bed I will never have true and full confedence in it again. And it might take me awhile to get that back even after the piller and glass job.

I said all that but I may still pick up the oryx chassis. Even though it's butt ugly.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

I looked at the ORYX, Its not bad looking & might be useable as a hunting stock as much of the aluminum is covered where hand holds are.

I'm sure hoping that it will. I got a email that they are busy and would be 10 days to fulfill my order. Not a problem, like you I also have a pillar bed kit I am waiting for as well. (I have all the bedding stuff on hand)

I also loaded up two ladders last night, both with 120 Pro Hunter bullets. First with Benchmark and second with AR-Comp powders. BOTH shot well in this barrel with other bullets.

This Pro Hunter is a stubby bugger! To get same jump to lands as the Speer GD, I had to seat to 2.253", where the GD was 2.275"!

CW

Comment

• Rebels010
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2016

I picked up a used MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 that's on it's way. I will be able to compare it to the Boyd's soon as I have a boyds provarmint now. They Boyds stock is an older one so no issues with the material in it. I ultimately decided the that bedding it wasn't in the cards for me, and after I spent time and money on the DPI metal trigger guard and bedding, I was just better off personally getting the chassis.

My rifle in the boyds has shot very consistently around MOA at 100 with factory hornady Amax ammo for 5 rounds. But typically 4 are around .5/inch and 1 round takes it to 1 or 1.25. I will get to see if that's the stock or not with the chassis. Of course it could be me or the factory ammo too.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

They inlet that for the mini action? I thought only the lss?

Comment

• Rebels010
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                                They inlet that for the mini action? I thought only the lss?
                                Yep. Hope to get some warm weather soon to how it does.

Comment

Working...
                                X