• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
    You never know what Savage is going to do. But I don't think they want the Grendel interfering with Criedmoor sales ?
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      I hear that. After the hassle I have felt with with losing a mag spring and not being able too purchase are successful make my own I'm ready to walk away from Howa.
      We will get it figured out brother. Do you need a mag spring or a mag release lever spring?
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
        We will get it figured out brother. Do you need a mag spring or a mag release lever spring?
        I need a mag spring. I took my 5 round mag apart to do a lil post season clean up and well it got lost in my shop.

I order some spring wire from brownells. But after useing a good bit of it I just can't seem to get it right. Got it too hold and feed 3 but put 4 in the mag and fail too feed. Put 3 in feed one and then insert a 3rd back in, making 3+1 and it would fail to properly eject the chambered round and the next round would nose dive in the mag.

No small part product support from Howa/Legacy. To me a rifle without simple small part support is a failure and a recipe for not being a lasting product.

I will admit I was getting frustrated and probably just need a simple small tweak I was over looking at the time.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Well that stinks. I have a spare lever spring but not a spare mag spring. That’s a big spring to loose. Your shop must look like mine. I’ll scout around for one if you still need it.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Well that stinks. I have a spare lever spring but not a spare mag spring. That’s a big spring to loose. Your shop must look like mine. I’ll scout around for one if you still need it.
            Thanks a ton. If you locate one I sure could use it. I will get back to trying to make a proper one again this weekend.

Edit to add.

Yea my shops a mess right now. Got to many projects going at the moment

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

Well Fed-Ex screwed up so the Axis won’t be delivered until later today, and I’m just getting on a plane to be gone for a week. It was supposed to be here Friday.
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• BIGHORN66
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2018

Any update on the Savage 6.5 Grendel?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

Originally posted by BIGHORN66 View Post
                  Any update on the Savage 6.5 Grendel?
                  Just preliminary stuff. I have the complete bolt head that looks like it will work without any issues. The real issue is the mag. The factory 223 mag will not work as-is. The feed lips need opened up to allow the bolt to pick up the rounds. As it is, the bolt starts to push the round forward but then the round drops below the bolt. I've been reading the issues that guys are having with the Howa mags on the B&C stocks. The Savage mag looks like it would solve all those issues once you got the feed lips correct. Also the Savage mags are a true flush fit.

The other issue is that I have a customer who may want the Savage as a 223. So this project may get delayed.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Just preliminary stuff. I have the complete bolt head that looks like it will work without any issues. The real issue is the mag. The factory 223 mag will not work as-is. The feed lips need opened up to allow the bolt to pick up the rounds. As it is, the bolt starts to push the round forward but then the round drops below the bolt. I've been reading the issues that guys are having with the Howa mags on the B&C stocks. The Savage mag looks like it would solve all those issues once you got the feed lips correct. Also the Savage mags are a true flush fit.

The other issue is that I have a customer who may want the Savage as a 223. So this project may get delayed.
                    Tell him to order one, that savage is ear marked for greater things then being a 22 rifle lmao.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2017

I already had to do that once. One guy saw the .223 Axis and wanted it, so I ordered a second. Now someone else wants this one again. They are popular little rifles. I have to admit, they are nice little guns. The new stocks are still Tupperware, but they are better than the old Axis stocks and the Ruger American stocks.
                      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• s3silver
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Frontier - what ever happen to your Savage 6.5 Grendel build?

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

I've got a 22" criterion Savage barrel in 6.5 Grendel if anyone wants to do one.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2017

Well, I ended up selling both .223 Savage rifles to customers. I still have the Savage bolt head for the Grendel if someone was interested in it. Life got busy and money got short. I still think that the Savage Grendel may be the answer for those who are looking for a good bolt action hunting Grendel if they aren't happy with the Howa magazine and it's related problems. Between my bolt head and Greyfox's barrel, we are most of the way there. Someone just needs to put it all together.
                            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

I guess that I should also point out that my Howa has simply been a great little gun. The mag problems haven't been so bad as to cause me to buy another Savage in order to finish the project. That Howa saw many hours of field use this year and last. It has taken a number of deer and bear. While I would prefer a completely flush fit mag, it has been good enough with the DIP inc modifications and cut down mag to serve it's purpose and it is a joy to shoot. It's my most accurate rifle, it has almost no felt recoil, and it is a quiet as a 22lr. There is almost no motivation to replace it.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• s3silver
                                Warrior
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                                I've got a 22" criterion Savage barrel in 6.5 Grendel if anyone wants to do one.

Grayfox - sent you a pm.

Comment

Working...
                                X