X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Some development that Colt did on the AR led them to use a .136 bolt depth.
    Alexander Arms went with that and here we are.
    7.62x39 seems to work fine with a .125 bolt depth.

Greg,
    Thanks for all your help with the wildcats on the other site.

Comment

• GLShooter
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
      Some development that Colt did on the AR led them to use a .136 bolt depth.
      Alexander Arms went with that and here we are.
      7.62x39 seems to work fine with a .125 bolt depth.

Greg,
      Thanks for all your help with the wildcats on the other site.
      I try. I know that more in the chamber is a better deal, That's one reason why I like the LBC variants that are 0.125. Never had any functional issues or broke a single part yet. I know I'll feed this one on the warm side before I rebarrel it to 243 LBC.

Greg

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        Yes it does. That is check mark 2 of 3 in my book. It ain't looking good for the mini now.
        I wouldn't worry about it A5. As others have pointed out, the Howa is put together with more detail, time and attention to each rifle. The AR, Savage and RAP take more of a low cost and mass production approach. Each has it's pros and cons. It is easier to get parts and interchange parts with the AR, Savage and RAP than it is for the Howa. However, the Howa feels much more quality than the others as well (with the exception of the LSI plastic parts).

With the Howa the bolt and bolt knob are all machined from one solid piece. The receiver and the recoil lug are machined from one solid piece. The metal finish is excellent. It has fewer parts. It is butter smooth. Overall it is a much nicer barreled action than any RAP or Savage that I've seen. They are done in the old school way. It is a different approach, but not a bad one.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• GLShooter
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

So while we've chased this thread all over involving my Ruger, that's not a HOWA, I guess the answer is there is no rhyme nor reason for any bolt face depth consistency?

Greg

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

If it's not an AR, I wouldn't worry about it.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• GLShooter
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
              If it's not an AR, I wouldn't worry about it.
              I don't even worry about it when it's an AR. I was just curious if anyone had any insight other than, "Just because it is what it is."

Greg

Comment

• Msalm
                Warrior
                • May 2018

Originally posted by GLShooter View Post
                So while we've chased this thread all over involving my Ruger, that's not a HOWA, I guess the answer is there is no rhyme nor reason for any bolt face depth consistency?

Greg
                Yes, the minimum required for the extractor and ejector to operate properly. As long as function is there, the shortest/least amount of unsupported case head is best. So enough depth for the extractor hook and a chamfer ahead of it so it snaps over the rim into the groove.

Comment

• GLShooter
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Msalm View Post
                  Yes, the minimum required for the extractor and ejector to operate properly. As long as function is there, the shortest/least amount of unsupported case head is best. So enough depth for the extractor hook and a chamfer ahead of it so it snaps over the rim into the groove.
                  That's exactly what my opinion was. More support is better in firearms. We learned that in hot loading USPSA pistols decades ago to MAJOR on the 9's and 38 Supers.

I've been shooting wildcats in AR's for years on the 6.5 and 6.8 and everyone of them is 0.125. I've never broken anything on a bolt or experienced any reliability issues and I can assure you they haven't all been mild. I would expect nothing less in a bolt.

Greg
                  Last edited by GLShooter; 02-26-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Different extractor design allows different boltface depths. Ruger American uses a sliding plate extractor, common to many bolt gun designs, as opposed to an AR extractor.

Grendel boltface depth was set at 0.136 to allow more meat in extractor to compensate for thicker Grendel rim. Not absolutely necessary, but nice to have for theoretical longer extractor life.

I agree it begs the question, then, why 7.62x39 ARs seem to get by on boltface depths of 0.125 when they use the same cartridge rim. Does extractor breakage seem common in 7.62x39 ARs?
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• ricsmall
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                      Different extractor design allows different boltface depths. Ruger American uses a sliding plate extractor, common to many bolt gun designs, as opposed to an AR extractor.

Grendel boltface depth was set at 0.136 to allow more meat in extractor to compensate for thicker Grendel rim. No absolutely necessary, but nice to have for theoretical longer extractor life.

I agree it begs the question, then, why 7.62x39 ARs seem to get by on boltface depths of 0.125 when they use the same cartridge rim. Does extractor breakage seem common in 7.62x39 ARs?
                      I don’t think extractor breakage in Grendel is any more common than in 5.56. I don’t have data to back that up, but I’ve read enough of Paul’s posts to confidently say that. He probably has more rounds in the hill from a grendel than most here. I’d rather have the properly engineered extractor than not. I’ve ran some pretty hot loads and have yet to break an extractor, but I have adjustable gas on every Grendel I own or build for buddies. I decrease gas incrementally as I increase powder while load developing as a precaution.
                      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

Working...
                      X