• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Lol

Howa, the barrel and bolt are good. Chuck the rest and open that wallet. Trigger too.

Ruger, needs nothing.

It does amaze me what people will put up with for accuracy. Speaking of that Howa feeding reliability...tipping rounds down in magazine at shot. Will not take one hunting with factory mag set up. Confidence gone.

Had all three, Howa is a money pit to get right. Cz 527 can use some love too but Ruger needs nothing.

Comment

• CJW
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Very interesting post Stinky C, it has me revisiting the Ruger.

Chuck

Comment

• TickTock
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2022

Having gone through this debate with myself just weeks ago I went with the Ruger. When it gets to my ffl & I get a scope mounted on it I'm headed to the range with some Hornady black 123gr & hopefully it's as accurate as my research led me to believe it will be
        Champagne taste on a beer budget

Comment

• CJW
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Comment

• dpete
            Warrior
            • May 2016

My Ruger was MOA accurate at 100 yards right out of the box shooting 123 gr handloads designed for my Grendel AR. The first thing I did when I picked it up from my ffl was to slip a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock. It slid all the way down without any binding. The barrel was free floated just as it should be. My 300 BLK RARR was the same way. Both use AR15 mags.

Comment

• tdbru
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

hmmm.... maybe get 1 each of the howa and Ruger? My howa 22" is pretty accurate, as I'm sure the Ruger would be as well. Statements about keeping the howa barreled action and starting from there were correct in my opinion, when the rifle first was released. were I starting over, knowing what I know now, I'd have picked up the barreled action from Brownells and gone from there. However Legacy Sports is offering a carbon fiber stocked mini Howa now that really looks light weight. Perhaps I'd go that way.

I've not found/handled a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendel yet. I suspect it'll be a bit heavier than the mini Howa, particularly if you pick up the mini howa with the CF stock. Big deal? You'll need to decide. Some folks seem to like using AR mags in a bolt gun, others do not. I suppose it depends on your tastes in rifles.

for those that don't like a detachable box magazine sticking out the bottom on the mini howa, I'm not sure how sticking an AR mag out the bottom of the Ruger predator would be any different.

the main draw I see with the Ruger Predator, for those that ALSO have a 6.5 Grendel in the AR platform, is that both rifles can use the same magazines. could be quite useful I suspect.

Now that I've tweaked my mini Howa to my liking, I'm not too inclined to pick up a Ruger Predator as well, but who knows.

-tdbru

Comment

• ported45
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

My daughter has pretty well cabbaged onto my Ruger Predator Grendel since she took her first two deer with it. So much so that I intend to make it officially hers and I just bought another for myself.

Comment

• RMiller
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2018

What magazine do you like for the Ruger? I just picked one up and it won't feed from anything but a 6.8 spc mag and forget about the lastvround feeding at all.

Comment

• grendelnubi
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

I clipped two coils off the spring and mine feeds flawlessly now. Try one coil at a time till it works for you.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
                      I clipped two coils off the spring and mine feeds flawlessly now. Try one coil at a time till it works for you.
                      Last edited by Harpoon1; 10-17-2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• ported45
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by RMiller View Post
                        What magazine do you like for the Ruger? I just picked one up and it won't feed from anything but a 6.8 spc mag and forget about the lastvround feeding at all.
                        C Products 10 round mags, but I did drop the front lip 1/8" and chamfered the inside front edge as it looked to me like the case mouths could briefly catch while cycling the bolt forward slowly.

Comment

• RMiller
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

I took another coil out of the 10 round Elanders for more improvement. I put for rounds in the mags and cycled all the rounds out a about six times. Had a glitch twice but this was the first time I was able to cycle all four rounds.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by RMiller View Post
                            I took another coil out of the 10 round Elanders for more improvement. I put for rounds in the mags and cycled all the rounds out a about six times. Had a glitch twice but this was the first time I was able to cycle all four rounds.
                            Last edited by Harpoon1; 10-22-2022, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X