Do I have the lightest Grendel rifle in world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Do I have the lightest Grendel rifle in world?

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 03-02-2023, 06:09 PM.
  • Owyhee H
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2018

You have me beat. This is 6lbs even with sling and 4 rounds. Scope is a vx-2 3-9x33CDS. 20" #1 from the factory. The action has not been touched. I could play with the action and swap rings for a few ouches but it works so well I'm going to leave it as-is. You have a very nice Howa there stinky. I hope is shoots as good as it looks. I am sure it will carry very nicely.

Grendel Pic.jpg

Comment

• Rufjustis
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2020

Not sure what my CZ527 weighs but I know its a lot more than that, but my "anvil" I carry every night weighs in at over 13 1/2 pounds loaded. Love em both!!

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

I get in my scale with and without is a 5.2 lb difference without optic and suppressor.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
          I get in my scale with and without is a 5.2 lb difference without optic and suppressor.
          I didn't translate that properly but I knew the AR guys could beat it. Leadstar Helium in Grendel would be mid 4 lb bare so potential is there in an AR but ultralight rings would be the ultimate challenge on an AR. So can you clarify what it weighs? Are you saying 5.2 lbs without scope and suppressor?

Mine bare rifle without scope at 4 lb 15 oz or 4.94 lbs.
          Mine scoped without the little add ons is 5 lb 6 oz or 5.375 lbs.

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

If i stand on the scale without my rifle it says 166.7lbs. If i stand on the scale with my rifle it says 171.9lbs which is a 5.2 lb difference. No scope or suppressor but i do have the muzzle break on it and added the butt pad to the smoke composite stock which is a couple ounces.

And yes mine is an ar, the title of the thread was lightest rifle. I did not notice the first sentence was bolt gun specific.
            Last edited by Bigs28; 03-02-2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Owyhee H View Post
              You have me beat. This is 6lbs even with sling and 4 rounds. Scope is a vx-2 3-9x33CDS. 20" #1 from the factory. The action has not been touched. I could play with the action and swap rings for a few ouches but it works so well I'm going to leave it as-is. You have a very nice Howa there stinky. I hope is shoots as good as it looks. I am sure it will carry very nicely.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19549[/ATTACH]

That's a beauty, I think maybe one of the other lightest ones on here from what I've seen. It's hard to carry theme through every aspect, rings, optics etc. but you've done well and looks good. Some talley's would likely bring you down a couple ounces and if doing math on action work then 3 oz there and from recollection when I had my 20" lightweight and 22" and pulling barrels and weighing against each other the 22" was 4 oz heavier than the 20" but I could not see a difference in contour between them so I left 20" alone in a build(sold) and kept the 22" for the one I knew I'd chop off. I don't have exact difference of what that 3.5" of barrel would weigh but have to assume at least an ounce per inch but suspect that's more like 1.5 minimum. That math would add up as our builds are similar enough to deduct. You know where you'd end up if you decided to swap rings and get a machinest involved.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Rufjustis View Post
                Not sure what my CZ527 weighs but I know its a lot more than that, but my "anvil" I carry every night weighs in at over 13 1/2 pounds loaded. Love em both!!

my cz 527 American came in at just hair over 6 lbs bare rifle, then pillar bedding added 1 oz, I did knock the barrel back to 20" on it at one point before I put the carbon barrel on it but would have to dig to see what that did for weight change, they aren't the platform for an ultralight build but can be made reasonably light, the dang rings are a killer for them, all steel options I think minimum was 4.5 oz from what I could find, talley's with smaller 1" tube leupolds are the best way to follow ultralight theme for builds

Comment

• Harpoon1
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2017

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Super correct, I got flying with the calculator and messed up the back calc. Bare rifle is 4 lb 10.5 oz.

53.5 oz barrelled action with action screws (3 lb 5.5 oz)
                    11.5 oz scope/rings
                    3 oz bottom metal
                    18 oz stock
                    86 oz total (5 lb 6 oz)

IMG_2621.jpg

This is the actual scoped rifle on scale, albeit still in pieces, the scope had just shown up, the ring bases were already loctited on the action and lapped, the ring caps and screws are in there and the scope. That's the factory bottom end, which is the same weight as the hinged bottom end. Just so there's some image confirmation.

And here it is with hinged bottom, assembled, plus 1.5 ounce in butt stock shell holder(1 oz) and objective flip cap(0.5 oz) on scope.

IMG_3512.jpg
                    Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 03-02-2023, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                      Super correct, I got flying with the calculator and messed up the back calc. Bare rifle is 4 lb 10.5 oz.

53.5 oz barrelled action with action screws (3 lb 5.5 oz)
                      11.5 oz scope/rings
                      3 oz bottom metal
                      18 oz stock
                      86 oz total (5 lb 6 oz)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19551[/ATTACH]

This is the actual scoped rifle on scale, albeit still in pieces, the scope had just shown up, the ring bases were already loctited on the action and lapped, the ring caps and screws are in there and the scope. That's the factory bottom end, which is the same weight as the hinged bottom end. Just so there's some image confirmation.

And here it is with hinged bottom, assembled, plus 1.5 ounce in butt stock shell holder(1 oz) and objective flip cap(0.5 oz) on scope.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19552[/ATTACH]
                      Last edited by Harpoon1; 03-02-2023, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

yes Sir, Canadian laws are weird, I understand from a blank you can have one made shorter, or if it can be bought shorter, but you're not allowed to cut one down past 18" and my smith stops at 18.5", can't wait till we string these criminals up behind all this nonsense, we can buy ruger American ranches with shorter barrels etc. but anyway 18.5" is short enough, 16.1 ruger is about my limit for hunting for blast/noise on the odd no ear protection shots (we aren't allowed suppressors either), and apparently 19" is around the magic number for the cartridge anyway so all good, it's in my list if really go down the road with this one to swap barrel to stainless, bed/float it by my master smith, timney trigger, new recoil pad (hard rubber, red like ruger perhaps) and refinish the sad finish of the stock, maybe some expanding foam in butt stock to dull the hollow sound and that would likely make my brain happy from a do it right the first time perspective but wallet really unhappy, then brain unhappy again due to wallet unhappy...did I mention how much I love these howa's? Kimber could easily save the day lol, actually just about anyone could easily save the day, hopefully put legacy sports out of business

Comment

• Harpoon1
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                          yes Sir, Canadian laws are weird, I understand from a blank you can have one made shorter, or if it can be bought shorter, but you're not allowed to cut one down past 18" and my smith stops at 18.5", can't wait till we string these criminals up behind all this nonsense, we can buy ruger American ranches with shorter barrels etc. but anyway 18.5" is short enough, 16.1 ruger is about my limit for hunting for blast/noise on the odd no ear protection shots (we aren't allowed suppressors either), and apparently 19" is around the magic number for the cartridge anyway so all good, it's in my list if really go down the road with this one to swap barrel to stainless, bed/float it by my master smith, timney trigger, new recoil pad (hard rubber, red like ruger perhaps) and refinish the sad finish of the stock, maybe some expanding foam in butt stock to dull the hollow sound and that would likely make my brain happy from a do it right the first time perspective but wallet really unhappy, then brain unhappy again due to wallet unhappy...did I mention how much I love these howa's? Kimber could easily save the day lol, actually just about anyone could easily save the day, hopefully put legacy sports out of business
                          I get it! Looks awesome. Have fun with it!

Comment

• tdbru
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2019

well done SC! nice light rig. and handy too.
                            -tdbru

Comment

• Old Bob
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2019

My mini Howa with a Pendleton stock is just a hair over 6lbs. It has a Luepold VX3i 4.5x14 scope, Jefferson Outdoors hinged floor-plate bottom metal (used to have their flat, blind box BM) & a Wison Combat Q Comp muzzle brake. I added a small amount of glass bedding under the recoil lug & action tang. Seems light as a feather to me. But then I've been hunting with a 10+ lb muzzle loader since the early '70s. Don't know its exact weight. It pegs my 10 lb max kitchen scale.
                              I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
                              X