Do I have the lightest Grendel rifle in world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Rifle with Holosun 407c red dot (2.5 oz and no batteries required solar), Burris xtr steel 3 slot front base (0.5 oz). Rifle weighs 4 lb 13.5 oz with red dot. I like the trijicon accupoint on my rugers for stretching things out and didn't have a close range speed/truck/camp option so decided to give this a shot.

IMG_3920.jpg
    IMG_3921.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg

Comment

• 188mule
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2023

Has anyone tried the SWFA ultralight scope? Says 9.5 oz.

Comment

• 188mule
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2023

That's an awesome rifle! It is frustrating that you had to do all that work just to get to Howa's advertised weight. Thanks for building it!

Comment

• Harpoon1
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by 188mule View Post
          Last edited by Harpoon1; 04-01-2023, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

That's an awesome rifle! It is frustrating that you had to do all that work just to get to Howa's advertised weight. Thanks for building it!
            Thank you!

And yeah, legacy sports needs new management from the top down, if you want a lesson in how to do it wrong the first time, second time, and third time...look no further lol
            Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-01-2023, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• tdbru
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

SC,
              that is a very interesting rig with that red dot. It never occurred to me about a forward mounted red dot. I am so used to scopes. what size is the red dot in the middle of the sight picture? 2MOA? How far do you think you could hit deer lungs with that red dot for an aiming point? 300 yards? Like I mentioned, always before I assumed scopes were for rifles and these red-dots were for pistols. For a bit more limited range, running a red dot over a scope would definitely lighten up the load !
              well done SC
              -tdbru

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

I have one with the 5.56 BDC on 5.56. I agree with Harpoon1; the eye box is frustratingly tight on 10X prone or on a bench. Better standing. I think it's pretty good at 2.5X. Primary Arms new SLx 3x Prism with the Griffin mil reticle is the new hotness. 8 ounces and durable.
                DetailsThis Primary Arms MicroPrism is part of the SLx optics line. SLx optics have built a reputation for innovation, reliability, and value. All SLx optics undergo rigorous field-testing during development to best serve you in any environment.The SLx 3x MicroPrism is an all-new advanced optical system that combines the compact, lightweight size of a microdot with the durability and precision of a 3x magnified optic. The SLx 3x MicroPrism offers 13 illumination settings with AutoLive® motion-sensing on/off technology and multiple night vision compatibility options.Weighing under 8oz, the SLx 3x MicroPrism is smaller and lighter than many red dot sights and features crystal-clear glass with 3x magnification for improved precision at distance. Even in close-quarters, the optic’s wide field-of-view and forgiving eye relief make it easy to snap on target. Because the SLx 3x MicroPrism uses an etched reticle with adjustable diopter, the user will always have a clear, crisp reticle image, even if they have severe astigmatism. When set to max illumination, the MicroPrism reticle is fully daylight bright. For low-light, this optic offers 3 different NV-compatible settings, accommodating any ambient light level. Paired with the AutoLive® motion-sensing illumination technology, this optic provides an exceptionally long runtime at any brightness setting. This package also includes the new ruggedized mounting system with industry standard mini-prism footprint, guaranteeing reliability and zero retention through heavy use and adverse conditions. Out of the box, this mount can be set for 8 different mounting heights and configurations, ensuring compatibility with any rifle system.Features:13 Illumination settings + 3 NightVision; Highest settings are Daylight BrightAutoLive motion-sensing on/off battery saving technology Length: 2.95” Weight: < 7.95 oz.Etched Reticle, perfect answer for astigmatism and works without illuminationACSS Griffin X MIL reticleWide Field of View (38.0 ft @ 100 yds), excellent for CQB situations80 MOA W/E Adjustments; .25 MOA Click Value8 Mounting Height Options (incl. AC & L1/3 heights, see next page for details)Uses One CR2032 Battery (Included)Up to 29,000 Hours on medium settingIndustry Standard Mini Prism Mount FootprintEye Relief: 2.7"Lens Covers also included; ARD option sold separatelyLifetime WarrantyThe ACSS® Griffin X MIL reticle is part of the patented ACSS Reticle series.The Advanced Combined Sighting System (ACSS®) is a high-performance reticle solution to the challenges of modern marksmanship, distilling complex mathematics into intuitive holdovers that enhance your speed and precision. Each ACSS reticle is specially designed to outperform in real-world applications, incorporating a mix of tools to deliver instant firing solutions. These tools may include ballistic drop compensation, auto-ranging stadia, wind holds, moving target leads, or an infinitely-precise center chevron.More specifically, the ACSS Griffin X MIL reticle is a compact MIL-based reticle with a comprehensive toolset for ranging and engaging targets at variable distances. This reticle features a full MIL grid, which offers 10 MILs of elevation and up to 4 MILs of windage on each side. The 5th and 10th MIL feature barbell-shaped brackets for quick reference while aiming.See More
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
                  SC,
                  that is a very interesting rig with that red dot. It never occurred to me about a forward mounted red dot. I am so used to scopes. what size is the red dot in the middle of the sight picture? 2MOA? How far do you think you could hit deer lungs with that red dot for an aiming point? 300 yards? Like I mentioned, always before I assumed scopes were for rifles and these red-dots were for pistols. For a bit more limited range, running a red dot over a scope would definitely lighten up the load !
                  well done SC
                  -tdbru
                  We will find out. Technically the accuracy is there. There are guys who shoot irons to 1000 and hit 5" targets prone with slings, forget the name of the the competition so it's doable. And quick research into the AR military guys who shoot these and irons to 300m proficiency seems to be the consensus on the man size targets, some guys comfortable further and some with astigmatisms and not as good eyes and not small enough dots shorter. We hunters tend to be pretty fussy as coyotes always on the menu too. A buddy of mine is pumped to try irons for awhile and has a cz ranger edition 308 coming so we will be playing with irons and this red dot, mine is 2 moa dot, which I assume is calibrated to appear that size from a certain distance from eye for pistols holding, maybe mine is closer to eye and ends up appearing larger, until I can get it on paper at 100 with measures I can't comment further on that part but it will let me know how to use as a rangefinder so to speak, like if I cover the vitals of a deer I'll likely know it's past point blank hold sort of self limiter. If dot ends up 3 moa it will cover 6" at 200 and 9" at 300 so could work out pretty slick and work well with the trajectory/point blank range of the Grendel and be intuitive and deadly? Personally I'll be aiming for 100 yard proficiency offhand and 200 yard proficiency rested on sticks/bipod/pack or something other than freehand and I'll try to get good to 300 as well but really if I'm solid to mpbr of about 240 yards I'll be happy. My buddy will be asking more from his set up as he's accuracy obsessed and has his own range so he will likely double what my goals are. I have ruger/trijicon that shoots awesome to 500+ so I'm not going to try and get carried away with this one.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Well, it may as well be able to handle some night protection duty if it's gonna be a handy little camp and bush rig.

Take off single slot aluminum rails, small wood screws, need to counter sink the rail to get the screw heads mostly flush so the qd light will mount. 5 minute epoxy them in. Added 1/2 oz. I believe the O-Light Baldr Mini is 2.5 oz additional but not really counting that as it just goes on optional at night time, off for hunting in daytime. Regular Harris bipods still go on no prob.

IMG_3965.jpg
                    IMG_3967.jpg
                    IMG_3984.jpg
                    IMG_3976.jpg

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

IMG_4067.jpg

will try to update after getting out on the gongs to see how we do with the dot, sort of turned into a fun gun short range project, the '2 moa' dot appears to be ~3.75 moa with that mounting location, closer to the eye than pistol holds which I'm sure that is where it appears 2moa by design for pistols, and that size is fine by me, I don't expect to be proficient much past point blank range rested anyway, will be happy with 200 yard proficiency, no reason we shouldn't be, shot just fine at 200 with 6x, the rest of the drops listed there just for range fun and maybe scare some coyotes, hopefully shoot it next weekend and report further about the configuration in actual use

also bumped the trigger pull up to 3 lb from 2 lb, little too touchy me thinks at 2 for a quick handling short range set up, shoot my rugers at 3 lb anyway and no issues being accurate to 500 yards with that
                      Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-20-2023, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

IMG_4145.jpg
                        IMG_4147.jpg
                        IMG_4148.jpg

Well there we go, 206 yards with the 2 moa holosun 507c green dot which appears about 3.75 moa with that less than pistol eye relief. 201 yards corrected horizontal distance. Zero'd quick at 26 yards to be close, then first one at the 200 was on steel, never missed steel, walked then next couple in from there, let it cool, took a few more, let it cool, then a final zero check and 3 shot group. Ready to hunt. This is with hokey's hinged bottom kit. Everything with hornady black ammo which is around 2400 fps out of this 18.5" howa, about 100 rounds on barrel now.

I shot about the same size groups at 200 with the 6x36 leupold and 2 lb trigger earlier in year. Pictured below, with the cz bottom kit.

IMG_3388.jpg
                        IMG_3381.jpg
                        IMG_3380.jpg

Then took out my Ruger to confirm zero and promptly put it away after this.

IMG_4149.jpg
                        Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-23-2023, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• kiwi shooter
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2017

a friend's 223 its stock is a custom home-made stock made from foam with a thin layer of fiberglass.
                          the hole rifle including 4 rounds and the Leopold m8 4x and suppressor is 2.8kg or 6.1lb
                          here in nz you do a lot of miles on foot on some horrible terrain, so a lightweight rifle is something that kiwis love this one is nuts light though.
                          2231.jpg

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by kiwi shooter View Post
                            a friend's 223 its stock is a custom home-made stock made from foam with a thin layer of fiberglass.
                            the hole rifle including 4 rounds and the Leopold m8 4x and suppressor is 2.8kg or 6.1lb
                            here in nz you do a lot of miles on foot on some horrible terrain, so a lightweight rifle is something that kiwis love this one is nuts light though.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]19694[/ATTACH]
                            nice to see another build, what's the suppressor weight or model? and barrel length? we can probably math out the bare rifle on that one pretty easy, his bottom end about 2.5 oz, looks like shortened factory mag, which starts life at 2.5 oz and 0.5 oz for the bottom plastic, rings 2 oz, scope 7.5 oz, and his stock would be interesting to know, was he able to get to 1 lb or less? the carbon stocky's 17-18 oz, mine was 18 oz, my rifle with those rings and leupold fx2 6x36 was 5 lb 6 oz or 2.4 kg, my bare rifle is 4 lb 10.5 oz or 2.1 kg, currently my rifle is wearing a holosun 507c green dot 2.5 oz on an extended 3 slot front rail 0.5 oz, a 1 oz shell holder and added a 1/2 oz single slot rail to underside tip of fore stock for light mount at 4 lb 15 oz or 2.2 kg and with 9 rounds of ammo in shell holder it's going down the trail at 2.39 kg, sure wish we could have suppressors here

Comment

• kiwi shooter
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                              nice to see another build, what's the suppressor weight or model? and barrel length? we can probably math out the bare rifle on that one pretty easy, his bottom end about 2.5 oz, looks like shortened factory mag, which starts life at 2.5 oz and 0.5 oz for the bottom plastic, rings 2 oz, scope 7.5 oz, and his stock would be interesting to know, was he able to get to 1 lb or less? the carbon stocky's 17-18 oz, mine was 18 oz, my rifle with those rings and leupold fx2 6x36 was 5 lb 6 oz or 2.4 kg, my bare rifle is 4 lb 10.5 oz or 2.1 kg, currently my rifle is wearing a holosun 507c green dot 2.5 oz on an extended 3 slot front rail 0.5 oz, a 1 oz shell holder and added a 1/2 oz single slot rail to underside tip of fore stock for light mount at 4 lb 15 oz or 2.2 kg and with 9 rounds of ammo in shell holder it's going down the trail at 2.39 kg, sure wish we could have suppressors here
                              2kg bare or 4.4lb

I'm not sure what everything else weighs but i know its total is 2.7kg not 2.8 oops

yep shortened factory mag to 4 rounds all you need in a hunting rifle

the suppressor is a hardy engineering made here in nz

rings are tally ultra lightweight

heres a link to his build
                              For quite a while IÂ’ve wanted to make a lightweight 223. With budgets never extending to a beautiful stock from one of the carbon stock guruÂ’s like
                              Last edited by kiwi shooter; 04-25-2023, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by kiwi shooter View Post
                                2kg bare or 4.4lb

I'm not sure what everything else weighs but i know its total is 2.7kg not 2.8 oops

yep shortened factory mag to 4 rounds all you need in a hunting rifle

the suppressor is a hardy engineering made here in nz

rings are tally ultra lightweight

heres a link to his build
                                https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....project-84434/

Comment

Working...
                                X