• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
    Yeah I could've plunked down the coin too, but I figured I could wait. Been working on a couple other cartridges, loads, so still busy enough. Plus my PT consulting is taking up more time than I thought! (not necessarily a bad thing).
    Let us know how it shoots, ok?
    Last edited by Harpoon1; 07-24-2023, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Got the original barrel removed. A local lgs I've used once before, he just set it up, torqued off the barrel. Bam.
      Talked with him a few minutes, he built himself a nifty little grendel on a barrel he made, into a mini-mauser action from an international arms (?) older rifle. Looks cool, hexagon barrel and all.

Anyway back home I thought, while I 've got it this far apart why not try and see if that timney I bought couple of years ago (howa 1500, #609 style adjustable), would fit. As I recall it did not but didn't remember why. Turns out the little screw to fasten it to the action underside, is a tad too long, sticks up so the bolt cannot get back into the action. Can't use howa's screw, have to use the timney. Well, what have I got to lose? Took that little screw and my belt sander (the vertical disk) and shortened up that little guy. Voila!! all fits well, so this howa is getting a trigger upgrade as well as the barrel!

Almost as good as bacon n eggs, pancakes and pure maple syrup.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

This all sounds great. What stock are you using and are you changing it out?
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

I've got an mdt chassis, fde, with mba adjustable butt stock on it. That's already in place from before. I find the chassis orients my wrist the best, with little strain on it.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Got an email that my barrel has entered into the production process.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Got the original barrel removed. A local lgs I've used once before, he just set it up, torqued off the barrel. Bam.
              Talked with him a few minutes, he built himself a nifty little grendel on a barrel he made, into a mini-mauser action from an international arms (?) older rifle. Looks cool, hexagon barrel and all.

Anyway back home I thought, while I 've got it this far apart why not try and see if that timney I bought couple of years ago (howa 1500, #609 style adjustable), would fit. As I recall it did not but didn't remember why. Turns out the little screw to fasten it to the action underside, is a tad too long, sticks up so the bolt cannot get back into the action. Can't use howa's screw, have to use the timney. Well, what have I got to lose? Took that little screw and my belt sander (the vertical disk) and shortened up that little guy. Voila!! all fits well, so this howa is getting a trigger upgrade as well as the barrel!

Almost as good as bacon n eggs, pancakes and pure maple syrup.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 08-24-2023, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Mine is "in process of getting shipped." via the email, so if it ships this week it will be 2 months, from june 22.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

Mine is "in process of getting shipped." via the email, so if it ships this week it will be 2 months, from june 22.

Comment

• Old Bob
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2019

Chatter marks, eh? Will your new barrel require polishing once you have it installed? How much breaking in time & ammo are you looking at?
                      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                        Chatter marks, eh? Will your new barrel require polishing once you have it installed? How much breaking in time & ammo are you looking at?
                        ACAA2F00-A51C-4CF5-9397-807A934C9790.jpeg
                        Last edited by Harpoon1; 08-25-2023, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Have to admit I like how they describe their process. Get a good blank, stress relieve it, do the rifling to a pretty narrow spec +/-, etc.
                          Might not be a krieger single point cut rifling, but I do expect it to shoot better than the stock howa barrel I took off.
                          I also like the 5R style vs 4 or 6. Having a groove opposite the land makes for a (Tom Selleck) "more harmonious outcome." At least I think so, and I thought this before I read about their setup.

Anyway, should know soon, both from Harp and me.

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

Received the new Preferred barrel blanks barrel, and a howage nut, right about 9.5-10 weeks delivered.
                            Mounted it up into the Howa, and took out for an initial spin.
                            I Like what I see.
                            Second trip was today, so about 40 rounds down-pipe so far.
                            I think I found my load.
                            First the Barnes 115 factory is running 2520, SD of ~8 if I recall (don't have my notes from that one in front of me). Good grouping but I didn't measure it, certainly under 1"/100 yds.
                            But I also did 3 ladders to see how some of my powders would line up. Ar Comp, CFE, H335.
                            All 3 ran fast but in line with what I figured. Primers, Fed 205's. OALs 2.270 give or take, the brass, Starline brass, 0x fired. All at 100 yds outside. Temps ran 81-85 deg F today. Winds light and variable.

CFE, 30.7-31.6 gr in 0.3's, 2545- to 2591 at 31.6,
                            Ar Comp, 27.3-28.2 in 0.3 jumps, topped out 28.3 at 2603. Of the 3. this one graphs (excel) out at very much linear, no dips or big bumps, meaning to me the powder is well-behaving.
                            H335, this one seemed faster than the others and was a bit worried if over pressure, 29.1-30.0 in 0.3's. H335 at the top was 2694, which by my estimates is close or over pressure for a bolt action.
                            So I picked 2, Ar Comp and H335 for some closer looks.
                            Loaded Ar Comp, 4 each 27.2, 28.0 and 28.2.
                            For H335 I backed off some, to 27.5 and 28.3. I set the bullets deeper for these H335's, to 2.250, since the powder didn't take up as much room at these loads.

Ar Comp: 27.2, 2532, SD- 10.1 (+1 fouler, a 100 ttsx that is discounted). 0.672" ctc.
                            Ar Comp: 28.0, 2596, sd-8.1, 0.380" ctc
                            and 28.2: 2598, sd-9.9, 0.741" ctc
                            All groups (even with the magnetospeed) looked decent, with 28.0 looking the best, at 0.380" c-t-c.

H335,
                            27.5: 2536 Avg, 10.1 sd. 0.631" ctc
                            28.3: 2615, sd 7.9, 0.892 ctc. This last one in my grt simulation, was high press at 56.7 ksi, so this one would be bolt action only.
                            The 28.0 Ar Comp, was est with grt at 51.8 ksi.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2018

Good show on Preferred. I had them install there barrel,all cut to my spec and long throated Weatherby VGL (Howa) quote 10-12. Arrived home just shy of 10 weeks. This one is 6mm Rem 1:8 built for 107 Bergers seated base of neck. Hits 3200 fps & 1/2 or less MOA with MULTIPLE loads!!! 4831 & re26 are winners in my gun. I am SUPAH pleased. Ill use them again!!

I will likely build a second mini in spring. This a HB on a Brownells barreled action. BUT if a used mini should appear, Ill grab that and sent to preferred again!! Probably go longer then 20" too plus adjust contour. This would be range toy/ target rig for me. My lwt mini is a shooter too always under 1" sometimes astounding accurate but always satisfying. I just re scoped it with a Hawke 3-12-56 quite possibly my perfect optic.

CW

Comment

Working...
                              X