Cz-527

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WillD View Post
    I'm having a custom Varmint /Target made with 24" barrel, Kevlar laminate stock w/ aluminum bedding blocks. I've been quoted around $1400. I would expect the Carbine model to be less??? It took me a day to get a quote. I'm still ironing out the details.

have you ordered or received your 6.5 grendel from the custom shop yet? if so how does it shoot?

Comment

• I plan on using mine for deer hunting, so I'd like to keep it light. But I also want at least a mid-weight barrel because I will be using it with a suppressor, and I need a good shoulder for the suppressor to index against.

Anyone know of any good aftermarket stock options? I'm not completely sold on the idea of using the Varmint Kevlar stock for a hunting rifle. Not sure I like the palm swell. I think I'm starting to lean toward just inletting the original wood stock.

Comment

• Don't know if everyone's anti Ruger but they also produce a 7.62x39 model. Model HM77CR manu# 37141. It's their compact hawkeye model.

Comment

• Dropped my 527 off with a local smith three weeks ago. He quoted six weeks, and I know he got on it fast. I wouldn't be surprised if I have it within two weeks.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

I have a question with these rifles.

Do the .223/204 models have the same magazine well as the 7.62x39? Worded differently, will 7.62x39mm mags fit in a .223 or visa/versa?

Comment

• Its my understanding that the magazine lips are different. Perhaps the baseplate too?

Honestly I'm waiting for mine to be delivered, so I have no clue, I'm just going by what I was told. Until I get rifle and parts in hand I won't know for sure.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

I don't mean function (to an extent, I guess), just that it will physically fit.

If I get a .223 rifle then decide to open the bolt face and modify the extractor and put a 6.5 G barrel on it, can I just use 7.62x39mm mags in the same rifle.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtn_shooter View Post
                  I don't mean function (to an extent, I guess), just that it will physically fit.

If I get a .223 rifle then decide to open the bolt face and modify the extractor and put a 6.5 G barrel on it, can I just use 7.62x39mm mags in the same rifle.
                  I would bet you could simply buy a 7.62x39 bolt, rather than opening the face of the 223 bolt. It is my understanding the magazines are interchangeable but the feed lips are different.

Comment

• There is no reason to get a .223 unless it's a good deal from a F2F sale, and then you need to cost-benefit weigh the custom work for a Grendel conversion. I would go with a 7.62x39 CZ 527 and pull the barrel, then drop-in the Grendel barrel after blueprinting the receiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      There is no reason to get a .223 unless it's a good deal from a F2F sale, and then you need to cost-benefit weigh the custom work for a Grendel conversion. I would go with a 7.62x39 CZ 527 and pull the barrel, then drop-in the Grendel barrel after blueprinting the receiver.
                      This is the same advice that I have been given by a trusted gunsmith and commercial wildcat developer. Starting with the 7.62x39 caliber CZ 527 makes for a very easy conversion to the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by melensdad View Post
                        This is the same advice that I have been given by a trusted gunsmith and commercial wildcat developer. Starting with the 7.62x39 caliber CZ 527 makes for a very easy conversion to the 6.5 Grendel.
                        Easiest way...I'm doing the same with Savage 10 in 7.62x39...
                        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• I have 527s in 7.62x39, .204 Ruger and .223 (now .300 Blackout) and all the magazines are different. The feedlips are slightly different on the 7.62x39 mags, but the big difference is that they have ridges pressed in to the sides of the mags. The ridges sit just in front of the shoulder of the cartridge to keep the rounds stacked nicely in the mag. Each magazine has slightly different ridges to accomodate the different rounds.

You can kind of see the differences in the mags in this picture:

Just to clarify, I had to mill the ridges out to use the .223 mags with 220gr 300 BLK subsonics, like this:

Hand cycling Grendel rounds through the 7.62 mags works perfectly. I can't imagine having to mod them much, if at all.

If you start with a 7.62 527, converting to 6.5 Grendel is as easy as a barrel swap. Now that my Blackout conversion is done, the Grendel conversion is next on my list.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2012, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• Any updates on any of these projects?

Comment

• Any new finds of lightweight synthetic stocks for the CZ 527?

Comment

• Drifter
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                                Any new finds of lightweight synthetic stocks for the CZ 527?
                                It might have already been mentioned, but it's possible that the M1 polymer stock and trigger guard (both available online from CZ-USA) might work okay with a converted CZ.

Also noticed that a CZ-527 converted to 6.5 Grendel is listed on gunbroker:

(Not affiliated.)
                                Drifter

Comment

Working...
                                X