X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

It is nowhere near as painful as you might think, providing you properly mask the critical parts when painting (or stripping).

I used citristrip to remove a camo job that I'd changed my mind on.

Rattle canned...

Stripped. New hand guard, GB and lens caps, but everything else is the same.

If you look closely, the remnants of the paint can still be seen on the bipod, which received only modest attention when I stripped off the paint.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

For inspiration, check Montactical on youtube. Their videos show you how to do it, they sell templates for a lot of different patterns and many of them look amazing.

Not a commercial for them in particular. I may buy some duracoat paint from them and I love their Riptile camo pattern but their templates are expensive and I'll make my own.
      They will do an amazing camo job on your rifle for $500.
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Yup- shop around,,, or DIYS. It's all out there.

Comment

• dpete
          Warrior
          • May 2016

Not a Grendel but it is my one adventure into a camo AR. It is now sporting a FDE grip instead of the black.

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

dpete did you do the with a sponge?

I did one of mine. I wanted a distressed look of olive drab green and black so I masked it off useing tape and a foam tape designed to leave a soft edge. Ended up with too much green so to break it up I dabbed tan on with a piece of wadded up paper towel. It looks ok but it’s still a bit shiny even though I used my matte clear.

I didn’t like painting my scope but if not painted it makes the job look unfinished. Same for stocks pistol grips and hand guards
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

If you paint a rubber coated grip does it become slippery?

Comment

• Turnerco
                Unwashed
                • Oct 2017

So I bit the bullet this last weekend and started painting. I started with a old stamped Romanian AK that I have had for while, knowing that if it turned out poorly, eh, just an AK and no biggie. I am pleased with it overall, however not 100% satisfied. The main thing I can take away from this is how much I learned. For the AR, I will probably end up getting a small air brush or small paint gun for some better detail and reduced over spray. I also have a sign and banner shop where I work that makes vinyl decals. I think for the next project I am going to have them create some vinyl stencils I can use to get the detail and precise patterns that I am looking for.

I was going for an old school woodland pattern for this, but ended up with what looks like a Tiger tank stationed in northern Africa in WW2. I made a simple stencil out of some elmers glue for the pattern. going with the vinyl stencils for the next project should remove some of the over spray and lack of sharpness that I encountered on this go around. Anyways here is the outcome.

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Looks pretty good! I still haven't gotten the cajones to paint one of my guns yet. Painted an ammo can to try it, wasn't happy with how it came out so I'm gonna have to practice more before I think about messing with one of my guns!

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ty_hooper12 View Post
                    Looks pretty good! I still haven't gotten the cajones to paint one of my guns yet. Painted an ammo can to try it, wasn't happy with how it came out so I'm gonna have to practice more before I think about messing with one of my guns!
                    I've been sitting on the paint cans for 7 years. How's that for unwilling to commit?
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Comment

• Troutguide
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

It's not that painful really. Just take the time to tape off well.
                        "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

Working...
                        X