• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Second
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Rem 700SA 6,5 Grendel project.

IMG_0840.JPGIMG_0841.JPGIMG_0843.JPG

The bolt needed to be opened for the larger case and also a new extractor installed.
    Got a hold of a Badger M16 Extractor that now have been installed.
    IMG_0962.JPG

Here is the bold in the fixture and the slot for the extractor in made.
    IMG_1296.JPG

And the finish result. It is a bushing soldered in place also, a bit thin, but I will test if it works or needs to be replaced. The extractor have been tested and it seems to work fine. But when the rifle is complete it will be tested more.
    IMG_1267.JPG

I ordered a barrel from Jury in Canada, a #4 profile, 6,5 with 1:7,5 twist.
    After installation the barrel is now about 20" from the bolt face to the muzzle.
    Might bee shortened in the future or threaded for supressor, but this is a starting point.
    IMG_1266.jpg

Have bought new Lapua Grendel cases and a Redding Type S tool for the reloading. Small primers and some powder.
    Loaded up 10pcs according to the Vhitavouri page so they are ready for test shooting. The Grendel cases are so small! Here in comparison with a 6,5x55.
    IMG_0956.JPG

The stock till be a KRG Bravo with adjustable buttpad.
    Picatinny rail and hopefully a Vortex in 4-16 maybe when this is ready.
    Will post more pictures later on.

Soon I will probably have the first Rem 700 6,5 Grendel in Sweden
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Keep us posted on the accuracy of your build. I did the same build with a PT&G bolt and it shoots tiny groups with 100 gr nosler BT. Handy gun.
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Very nice rifle.

Comment

• Second
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
        Keep us posted on the accuracy of your build. I did the same build with a PT&G bolt and it shoots tiny groups with 100 gr nosler BT. Handy gun.
        Yes!
        This is the plan. More pictures and info will come.

Will start with Lapua Scenar 123gr bullets. This is what I have at home right now. But any tips for other bullets is welcome info!

Comment

• Second
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
          Very nice rifle.
          Well, not right now
          But soon.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Thanks for the post! Great project. -

My first impression is what a great idea. Then I read about you replacing the stock, alas my heart sank. But in a good way.

My heart said NOOOO keep the wood! (I am a fool for a good looking blued/wood 700/Savage/Mauser/etc. Classic is GOOD!) This is what Grendel is missing. So far, it's been just about perfected in the AR/MSR platform, there's the Howas, the CZ (close but oh so far), and the new Ruger. I can't tell you how pretty your gun is - as is. And I am LOVING this thread, already and only on post 5 so far. I can't wait to hear about your range experience, and will be putting this idea on the burner for my "someday for sure" projects.

I have an Italian made Inter-Arms .270. It sits in the safe in a sock, behind all the Grendel Goodness. The mag will take 4 rounds of Grendel which blows me away, and I gotta say, I've been tempted to find a place to do exactly what you're embarking on here. But it was my dad's gun, which he "loaned" to me to have for a deer gun back when I couldn't afford my own. When I had my life in order, I gave it back, and he told me to keep it since I was so attached to it. (Yea, he's that good of a guy) So, there is a hefty sentimental attachment to it, not to mention it's a damned good shooter. It's a true Mauser action and bolt, and classic is an understatement.

I've been bitten by the Black Rifle Disease for a while. But the subject of this thread is great. Thanks for sharing. And good luck with a 700 Grendel! Cool!
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
              Warrior
              • May 2014

I have a soft spot for blued steel and wood as well, I applaud your efforts. I have been a Browning A Bolt fan for many years and want to see someone build a 6.5 Gren on the super short or short Browning A Bolt action.

Comment

• Second
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                Thanks for the post! Great project. -

My first impression is what a great idea. Then I read about you replacing the stock, alas my heart sank. But in a good way.

My heart said NOOOO keep the wood! (I am a fool for a good looking blued/wood 700/Savage/Mauser/etc. Classic is GOOD!) This is what Grendel is missing. So far, it's been just about perfected in the AR/MSR platform, there's the Howas, the CZ (close but oh so far), and the new Ruger. I can't tell you how pretty your gun is - as is. And I am LOVING this thread, already and only on post 5 so far. I can't wait to hear about your range experience, and will be putting this idea on the burner for my "someday for sure" projects.

I have an Italian made Inter-Arms .270. It sits in the safe in a sock, behind all the Grendel Goodness. The mag will take 4 rounds of Grendel which blows me away, and I gotta say, I've been tempted to find a place to do exactly what you're embarking on here. But it was my dad's gun, which he "loaned" to me to have for a deer gun back when I couldn't afford my own. When I had my life in order, I gave it back, and he told me to keep it since I was so attached to it. (Yea, he's that good of a guy) So, there is a hefty sentimental attachment to it, not to mention it's a damned good shooter. It's a true Mauser action and bolt, and classic is an understatement.

I've been bitten by the Black Rifle Disease for a while. But the subject of this thread is great. Thanks for sharing. And good luck with a 700 Grendel! Cool!
                IMG_1298.JPGIMG_1299.JPGIMG_1300.JPGIMG_1301.JPGIMG_1302.JPGIMG_1303.JPG
                And also, I will use a picatinny rail for the scope mount. It feels that it will be more wrong than right with a wooden stock.

I have no personal attachements to this stock or rifle like you, and i have a really old, unaltered Mauser M98 in 9,3x57 in the gunsafe. This is the rifle I just sit and hold and look at how nice a rifle can be

The pastic KRG Bravo stock will hopefully arrive in the following weeks. Sweden are really behind in getting this chassis out to the public.
                Will return with more later on.

Comment

• Second
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Rugerfan.64 View Post
                  I have a soft spot for blued steel and wood as well, I applaud your efforts. I have been a Browning A Bolt fan for many years and want to see someone build a 6.5 Gren on the super short or short Browning A Bolt action.
                  Thanks!

I got the question from a friend why I wanted to do this.
                  The sad answer was: Becouse I can, probably.

I also have one side of me that really like the blue steel, open iron sights and nice wood. And thankfully, I have this type of rifle also. It is needed so that I can always remember how nice they were back in the days.
                  Now, the guns in my safe is plastic stocks, big scopes and straigt barrels without sights....its a shame really

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Well, I’m still interested in your project, and very excited to see it come together regardless of traditional appearances. Your gun is your tool so it should prioritize form over function. Looks are always secondary. Like Rugerfan said, good job. Keep us posted! I’m especially interested in how she shoots, feeds, and handles. She sounds like an absolute winner. Good luck!

Edit: Corrected took to tool, sorry was on my phone, and Siri is getting worse and worse. All the "lingo" they are asking her to interpret is making even my head explode...
                    Last edited by Kswhitetails; 03-02-2018, 02:36 PM.
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Second
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Comment

• SightedIn
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

Thats very cool...I had been waiting to see a R700 conversion to Grendel. With enough of those actions around one was bound to be converted to Grendel eventually.
                        Reminds me a a project i did a little while back, converted a $279 R783(in .308) into 6.5 creedmoor. Average groups are .40" for a sub $800 rifle.

Comment

• Second
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

IMG_1441.JPGIMG_1442.JPG

Got some Loctite epoxy that will be used.
                          IMG_1444.JPG

The rail and the gun is cleaned with aceton and the gun is prepared with a releasing agent. In this case I use Redding case wax.
                          IMG_1443.JPG

Then an even layer is applied to the rail and then it is slowly mounted in the front screws, not down to specs, but a little tight.
                          The exess epoxy is wiped off with clean dry q-tip.
                          IMG_1446.JPG

I will use a Vortex HS 2,5-10x44 for starters. It is the scope from my hounting rifle. Will get another scope for this Grendel, but it is a start.
                          The KRG Bravo chassis is on its way and should arrive tomorrow.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Second,

Coming along nicely. Pity there is not an after-market bolt that fits the Grendel case otherwise I think there'd me more 700SA builds.

How did you keep the glue away from the two rail screw holes?
                            Did you do the forward section as well or only where there' a gap at the rear?
                            What's the curing time for that Loctite 2-part epoxy?

Klem

Comment

• Second
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                              Second,

Coming along nicely. Pity there is not an after-market bolt that fits the Grendel case otherwise I think there'd me more 700SA builds.

How did you keep the glue away from the two rail screw holes?
                              Did you do the forward section as well or only where there' a gap at the rear?
                              What's the curing time for that Loctite 2-part epoxy?

Klem

Comment

Working...
                              X