X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

I followed the same procedure using JB Weld on 4 Howas (Warne 20 MOA rails). Could slip a business card under the rear with the front snugged down. I plugged my rail and receiver holes with modeling clay, masked off the sides of the receiver with tape, and used neutral shoe polish as the release agent on the receiver.

Once it was all said and done, I used a few drops of blue locktite on the front and rear for final bedding. Probably 21 MOA rails now. If I were to use a 2 part base, the rings would be clamped down to a lapping rod then check the rail sections for the same gaps. I would still bed them.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
      Second,

Coming along nicely. Pity there is not an after-market bolt that fits the Grendel case otherwise I think there'd me more 700SA builds.

How did you keep the glue away from the two rail screw holes?
      Did you do the forward section as well or only where there' a gap at the rear?
      What's the curing time for that Loctite 2-part epoxy?

Klem
      Klem

PT&G makes a bolt for 700 that has ppc bolt face and an m16 extractor. Very nice bolt. Mine works flawless
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
        Klem

PT&G makes a bolt for 700 that has ppc bolt face and an m16 extractor. Very nice bolt. Mine works flawless
        Yes, so they do. What type of mags are you using to feed the Grendel cases in the 700?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
          Klem

THAT is interesting. Any place a list of donor receivers is found? .223, 7.62x39, etc? This is peaking my interest hard. I’m in absolute love with the idea of a 700SA Grendel with a beautiful blue steel and walnut facade.
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
            THAT is interesting. Any place a list of donor receivers is found? .223, 7.62x39, etc? This is peaking my interest hard. I’m in absolute love with the idea of a 700SA Grendel with a beautiful blue steel and walnut facade.
            Plus you can use the same action and scope with different barrels (using a barrel vise and action bar to switch barrels). You've got me interested too.

Comment

• Second
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

I will be using a AICS type of magazine.
              Either a steel one for .308W that I will modify or maybe a P-Mag. Will try the P-Mag first.
              There is conversion-kits for this type of cases. I will probably make my own rework on either of the mags.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

Whew, this is exciting to my wallet too.

700 SA donor in decent shape, 4-600 bucks.
                Bolt from PT&G, 2-260 bucks.
                Barrel for 700 SA, ~~ 4-600 bucks. Shilen/Bartlein/
                Optic and accessories 6-2500 bucks.

Custom Coyote/Ground hog rifle of my vewwy own, PRICELESS!

If I were to do this, I'd ask for a, 22" threaded medium profile 6mm Grendel, and top it with a NF 2-10. I'm getting pumped.

AAAAAAAND the Ruger 1 pops in the head again... dammit, too many cool ideas!

I saw a 223 Ruger 1 that was beautiful at the last gun show for 380 bucks. Barrel was shot out. With lots of extras, case-rings-cheap Simmons-gun sock. Should have jumped on that, and I knew it then too... These don't need a bolt at all, so yea, should have bit on that hook... oh well.
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• ricsmall
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Most dealers can get an action for $350-360. I’m using internal box mag that I’ve yet to modify, but it works as is 95% of the time if I load the cartridges forward in the box. Too far back and they nose dive every now and then. It’s a fun rig for sure.
                  Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Second
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

Interesting to see the prices you have for a Rem 700SA.
                    Thought that a 700Sa in USA would be a lot cheaper.

My donor for this built was $306, and the rifle was in great shape.
                    I have found out that I was very lycky to get this one for this price, but there is several 700SA here in Sweden for $300-600.
                    The .308W are a bit more priced, but the .222 and .223 are not that highly priced.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Second View Post
                      I will be using a AICS type of magazine.
                      Either a steel one for .308W that I will modify or maybe a P-Mag. Will try the P-Mag first.
                      There is conversion-kits for this type of cases. I will probably make my own rework on either of the mags.
                      Just fed a Grendel round into a couple of plastic AICS P-mags; a 223 and a 308 mag. They both fit.

On a Tikka (with AICS magwell) the bolt works perfectly on the 308 P-mag. The 223 mag fits fine but pushes the round to the front of the mag where it rides over the top and jams. The 700 action is the acid test but I don't have my action available at the moment. The Tikka is a pretty good indicator though.

The 308 mag is from MDT

Comment

• Second
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2017

Got the KRG Bravo chassis yesterday after almost 4 months of wait.
                        Really easy installation and now it is ready for the range.

IMG_1462.JPG

Comment

• Second
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                          Just fed a Grendel round into a couple of plastic AICS P-mags; a 223 and a 308 mag. They both fit.

On a Tikka (with AICS magwell) the bolt works perfectly on the 308 P-mag. The 223 mag fits fine but pushes the round to the front of the mag where it rides over the top and jams. The 700 action is the acid test but I don't have my action available at the moment. The Tikka is a pretty good indicator though.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]11366[/ATTACH]

The 308 mag is from MDT
                          https://mdttac.com/collections/polym...nt=42963894726

Comment

• Second
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2017

Have now test fired this little thing and all seems to work just fine!

The initial load for the test shooting are as follows:
                            23,5gn Vithavouri N133
                            123gr Lapua Scenar
                            COL 57,1mm

Avarage speed over 9pcs of rounds: 671m/s (Appr. 2201 fps)

Will continue to see where my node of speed is on this components.
                            But should get more speed out of it.

VV have listed 26,7gn as maxload for the N133 and 123gn Scenar. But I think I can try a bit more. Will take this slow, the goal is not a speed monster Grendel

Comment

• Second
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

IMG_1496.JPG

There is also markings on the primer from the firing pin, but I have got this crater/markings from the smallest load also so I look only for markings on the case in terms of pressure signs.

Will load up some more tonight and see if I gan find the node with the magnetospeed.
                              Also try to use the drop tube and see if the powder will pack better.
                              I might have some more room in the case if I make the round a little longer, but that will be for later.

Comment

• Klem
                                Chieftain
                                • Aug 2013

Sounds great and you've obviously got it under control. How is it feeding from the mags?

Comment

Working...
                                X