X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Second
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Thought that I could post a picture from last night when I got the Grendel assembled again.
    The gunsmith was not finish with the Krieger and there is a 300meter match next weekend.

I need to sight in the scope and do some practice shots also.

So here is the Rem 700 Grendel with the Jury barrel, Bix?n Andy trigger.
    A Triton 42S silencer with a ColeTac-cover. Nord Arms Type 2 bipod.
    The scope is a Vortex PST II 5-25x50 in a Spuhr mount. Stock is the KRG Bravo with adjustable buttstock.
    IMG_4660.JPG

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Wow, quite a rifle, let us know how you do in the match.

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

Second,
        i have been following the thread. Well Done!!

just a question,
        is there ALWAYS snow and ice in Sweden all year??? brrrrr.... how do you shoot groups when you're shivering?

i know i might get lynched but i wish we'd quit delaying and go to the metric system. i use metric at work all the time and it's so much easier than imperial.
        -tdbru

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Second, you know how to make a man envious. That short barrelled 700 would be an awesome mountain gun with a titanium can and some light glass. I'm impressed. I hope your plans continue to reward your efforts sir. Good luck!
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Second
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
            Second,
            i have been following the thread. Well Done!!

just a question,
            is there ALWAYS snow and ice in Sweden all year??? brrrrr.... how do you shoot groups when you're shivering?

i know i might get lynched but i wish we'd quit delaying and go to the metric system. i use metric at work all the time and it's so much easier than imperial.
            -tdbru
            No.
            Not snow and ice all year. Depend on where you live in Sweden but since I live in the northern parts of Sweden, we have snow normally from about November to April I guess.
            But we also have warm summers here.

Comment

• Second
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
              Second, you know how to make a man envious. That short barrelled 700 would be an awesome mountain gun with a titanium can and some light glass. I'm impressed. I hope your plans continue to reward your efforts sir. Good luck!
              Thanks!
              Yes. Really like this rifle and cartridge. One of the reasons why it is at the gunsmith right now to get the Krieger-barrel fitted to the Rem 700. I really hope to get it to shoot, and that I got a little more speed with the longer barrel.

Comment

• Second
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                Wow, quite a rifle, let us know how you do in the match.
                Hi!

Well. The match was really fun but I didnt got a nice place et the end.
                A bit windy so the short barrel and heavy 140gr ELD-M was struggling. But I think that I would have been worse with the lighter 108gr Scenar.

Here is a picture of the best 5-shoot group:
                IMG_4684.JPG

A little high on the target but the group size was OK.

Comment

• Second
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Now the Kriegerbarrel is back from the gumsmith and I have fitted it to the Rem 700.
                  IMG_4710.JPG

This barrel is in HV-contour and in 1:8 twist.
                  The length is now from boltface to muzzle 653mm (25,7")
                  The throut have been extended 2,5mm (0,09") from the "standard" so that I can load the heavier bullets with longer COAL.
                  Have also put a muzzlebrake on the barrel that I will try and see how it works. Can use the suppressor also if I want.

First loads have been done and I will try to to to the range and start the loadprocess.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Very nice indeed, Second. Good man. The chassis looks good, the rifle definitely hides the "mini" Grendel case well indeed. Let us know how she does! I want more than anything to see what it'd do with some new Sta-Ball Winchester powder; you've got the room to burn the slower powders.
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Second
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Very nice indeed, Second. Good man. The chassis looks good, the rifle definitely hides the "mini" Grendel case well indeed. Let us know how she does! I want more than anything to see what it'd do with some new Sta-Ball Winchester powder; you've got the room to burn the slower powders.
                      Thanks Kswhitelails!

The Whinchester powders is very hard to find here in Sweden.
                      And where I live, it is almost only Norma or Vihtavouri that I can find.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

At 2.315 and 31.4 grains I was able too get the 129 ablr up too 2350 with my cz grendel and staball powder.

With his longer coal length he probably could get a bit more then I did.

Comment

• Second
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Have a thread in the reloading section for the 140gr ELD-M where I put a bit more info in on the results.
                          But initial I have got 744m/s (~2441 fps) with option for more.

Comment

• Second
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2017

A rangeday on saturday with the goal to test a load on paper at 300meters. (~328yrd)

Nice winterday with a little wind but other than that, very nice!
                            IMG_4778.JPG
                            IMG_4779.JPG

The load tested was Hornady 140gr ELD-M with VV N540 powder.
                            Worked OK, but the shooter needs more rangetime...
                            Have the result in a separate thread in the reloading section here on the forum.

Comment

• tdbru
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2019

Second,
                              great looking rig. and i KNOW you must be from Scandinavia. where it appears a nice winter day is one with ONLY ~1m of snow on the ground. or so it appears. how can you shoot tiny groups when you're shivering? i suppose if you shoot several rounds quickly, you can use the barrel as a hand warmer.... anyway, well done rig. enjoy. i have forgotten, what is the twist rate of the barrel? 1-200mm? i assume very cold air = high atmospheric pressure? very dense air? that would require a faster twist rate than warm, low density air, correct? are you close to sea level? or much higher? just curious about bullet stability of a bullet that is as long as the 140 ELD-M in high air density (sea level, arctic) situations. do you find you need to run faster twist barrels to keep the pointy end going down range this time of year?
                              congratulations!
                              -tdbru

Comment

• Second
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
                                Second,
                                great looking rig. and i KNOW you must be from Scandinavia. where it appears a nice winter day is one with ONLY ~1m of snow on the ground. or so it appears. how can you shoot tiny groups when you're shivering? i suppose if you shoot several rounds quickly, you can use the barrel as a hand warmer.... anyway, well done rig. enjoy. i have forgotten, what is the twist rate of the barrel? 1-200mm? i assume very cold air = high atmospheric pressure? very dense air? that would require a faster twist rate than warm, low density air, correct? are you close to sea level? or much higher? just curious about bullet stability of a bullet that is as long as the 140 ELD-M in high air density (sea level, arctic) situations. do you find you need to run faster twist barrels to keep the pointy end going down range this time of year?
                                congratulations!
                                -tdbru
                                After that picture was taken, we got another 50cm of snow. The range is for the time beeing closed until we get is cleared with a big tractor.
                                Have no problem shooting in the cold. I'm physically like a bear so I don't shiver.
                                But tiny groups is another problem. To much time behind the loadbench and not enough time behind the rifle.

The twist rate of the Kriger-barrel is 1:8. On the shorter Jury-barrel it's 1:7.5. Not sore how to convert it into metric.

The cold air changes a lot here. It can be +5C and the next weekend it's -25C.
                                I have extremely small knowledge when it comes to different hPa and air density, meters over the sea etc. And haven't really tested the effect. The shooting range that we can use up to 300meters is at 300meters from sea level. Have often noticed a hPa of around 960 up to about 1030.
                                But haven't found any indication for stability problems in any of the bullets from 108gr up to 140gr.

Comment

Working...
                                X