• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maine guy
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2018

Ballistic advantage 16inch Hanson profile cycling issue gas port size

Just got my new build all assembled. 16inch BA Hanson barrel with MLGS, BCM upper receiver, BA bcg and 6.5 bolt, MI G3 handguard. Factory Hornaday Black cycles great, reloads with 123 ELD and CFE 223 cycle great, but any load with 8208 from 27 all the way to 28.4 XBR will not cycle. The rifle will eject the spent brass and won't pick up the next round or lock back upon empty mag. First I thought overgassed and tried H2 buffer, tried H2 and adjustable gas, and also tried standard buffer with adjustable gas, all to no avail with 8208. Why only problems occur with 8208 ? I would just use CFE but didn't get good accuracy with it, accuracy was much better with 8208. Been reading a little about the gas ports being too small on BA barrels, saw a post that said they were only .067, and thought it was supposed to be .078 for 16 inch MLGS. So I think I found that it wasn't overgassed by shutting gas down and opening a little at a time until wide open with no help with the problem. Should I just have the gas port opened up to .078 or am I missing something else I could try. Any help would be greatly appreciated, new member here, been lurking and reading for a while and you guys are great and have awesome info from what I have been reading.
  • monty
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

I have the same barrel and was having similar issues. I ended up sending it to BA. They opened up the gas port by "one size". Not sure how much, that was all they told me.

Once I got it back it worked much better, but still would occasionally not lock back after the last round when using hand loads.

After a few hundred more rounds through it, it now works flawlessly with both factory and reloaded rounds.

Anyway, just my two cents. Maybe some one with more experience will have some advice for you.

Comment

• Maine guy
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2018

Thank you for the reply, thats what I was hoping to hear, Im going to call them and see. Did your cycling issues have a common denominator like the 8208 with mine?

Comment

• Howling Coyote
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2014

I adjusted my gas port size myself. If I remember correctly I stuck a 1/4" dowel rod into the barrel and drilled the gas port larger right at the range .078 is 5/64 drill bit if I'm not mistaken. It's really not that hard of a task. Slap the gas block back on and see if it accomplished what you expected. If for some reason it is over gased you have a adjustable gas block to choke it down to your liking.

Comment

• Howling Coyote
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2014

One other thing that I'd like to mention seeing you have a free float type handguard if I'm not mistaken. Some gas blocks are meant to be spaced back and away from the gas port shoulder on the barrel if you are not using a handguard cap. It really depends on the gas block and also the barrel manufacturer. You might just solve your under gassed problem by sliding your gas block back away from the barrel shoulder just a tad. I really am not familiar with your exact set up but I thought I would relay this information.
          Last edited by Howling Coyote; 03-26-2018, 02:19 AM.

Comment

• monty
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Maine guy View Post
            Thank you for the reply, thats what I was hoping to hear, Im going to call them and see. Did your cycling issues have a common denominator like the 8208 with mine?
            Looking over my notes, it seemed to be all the powders that I tried, until it started to get near the max powder weights. 8208, Tac, AR Comp and 2520. This was during the winter, so ambient temps were lower as well. Like in the 40's.

If I had to do it again, would probably drill it out myself, like HC suggested. If you are using the supplied pinned gas block, alignment should not be an issue. But you might want to check it if you have not already.

Comment

• Greyling
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2018

well, nuts. I just bought a 16" hanson barrel. It's in the mail. and I'm 8+months out on my suppressor still. I'm gunna wind up undergassed.........

Comment

• Maine guy
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2018

Thanks again guys, I had my port opened to about .076 it was about .068 and ran 3 rounds with 8208 through it and cycled great.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Greyling View Post
                  well, nuts. I just bought a 16" hanson barrel. It's in the mail. and I'm 8+months out on my suppressor still. I'm gunna wind up undergassed.........
                  That’s an easy thing to fix. It’s harder to regulate over gassing than to enlarge a slightly small gas port.
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Greyling
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2018

so if I have issues I can just drill it out with my hand drill? or do I need to send it back to BA, have them open it up, then stick an adjustable gas block on it when I get my can?

Comment

• Lastrites
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

You could use a hand drill but you would be better served using a drill press as it more controllable and you don't want to over penetrate.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

You are correct Lastrites, but it can be done easily with a hand drill and a vise. Careful work is key, a simple piece of tape on your bit will prevent the over drill. Slow rotational speed and careful pressure with a good bit will make the job easy. The press does increase the accuracy of the plunge, but if it was me I'd just go with a bit a thousandth undersized and go slow. It doesn't have to be rocket science, everything in this here process is done on the margins anyway, unless you have access to more precise equipment.

What worries me more than anything is that once you make the cut into metal beyond the coating, you open yourself for corrosion in the port. Probably not much of an issue, unless you're going to store it for a long time between firings. It'd be a hard place to guarantee a good oil coat between cleanings. I don't know though, an oil patch probably would do more than enough. I can't say because I've never had to do this, and haven't heard many complaints about the effects afterward.
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Greyling
                          Bloodstained
                          • Feb 2018

Hanson Grendel barrels are stainless. There shouldn't be a coating. I was just concerned about making a ragged hole and hurting accuracy.

Comment

• Maine guy
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2018

I brought mine to a local shop who works on ars and was put in vice block and hand drill making sure to chuck the bit so just enough to go through and not hit rifling on other side, wouldnt hesitate to do at home. I was also worried about accuracy but i just got done shooting mine with handloads and while only three shot groups they were .521 and .449 with 8208 and 123 elds, for a lightweight hunting setup im very happy so far.

Comment

• monty
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Maine guy View Post
                              I was also worried about accuracy but i just got done shooting mine with handloads and while only three shot groups they were .521 and .449 with 8208 and 123 elds, for a lightweight hunting setup im very happy so far.
                              What was your load with the 8208 and 123ELD's? I shot the some ladders with that the other day. 27.8-28 grains seemed to do the best. 2400fps average.

CFE 223 at ~30.5 grains was another good load. 2344fps avg

Comment

Working...
                              X