• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Irbuff View Post
    I’ll be honest I have a very limited set of tools. Pretty much have a blue point 100 piece set and a few misc tools that I’ve acquired.

Bj are you talking with or without a round in the chamber? Without it seems to go in and pull out just fine. I didn’t try with a round in the chamber.
    With a round of course. Try a fired case as well. Observe what you see and report back here.

Comment

• Irbuff
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2017

Ok, it definitely takes a lot of pressure to get it to seat fully. A lot as in more then just thumb pressure then once it is in its very hard to pull back out.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

I have the factory base to Ogive measurements at home (I am in Exile in NE) for ELD and HAG. I know they are different. Someone on here measure them again?
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Irbuff
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

Just out of curiousity how good is hornady at getting back to you about issues like this? This is the first time I’ve had an issue with anything gun related to be honest.

Comment

• imaguy3
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            I have the factory base to Ogive measurements at home (I am in Exile in NE) for ELD and HAG. I know they are different. Someone on here measure them again?
            I don't have the correct insert for the 6.5... so here are my overall length, cartridge base to tip of bullet measurements...

2.250 - American Gunner

2.242 - 123gr SST

Just for fun I used the .25 caliber ogive insert.. Not that these numbers mean much but at least they're numbers..

1.709 - 123gr SST

1.740 - American Gunner

If I have a chance to get my hands on the correct insert before Sticks replies then I'll post the updated measurements.
            Last edited by imaguy3; 07-26-2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

If you blew a primer and had a stuck projectile in the rifling, it sounds like a short throat.

Easy enough to clean up for a competent barrel smith or trained gunsmith.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Irbuff
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

I measured 3 different rounds before I sent it out and they were 2.235 2.247 and 2.229... then measured the one black round I had with me and it was 2.247

Comment

• Irbuff
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  If you blew a primer and had a stuck projectile in the rifling, it sounds like a short throat.

Easy enough to clean up for a competent barrel smith or trained gunsmith.
                  Help me to understand if that is the issue why does the black work just fine? This is all a learning experience for me.

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

This is correct. I fired the round and didn’t see my 3rd hole. I was thinking wow I know I’m no marksman but how did I miss my entire target. Went to pull the trigger again and couldn’t. It would move a little but not fully. Went to pull the charging handle and it wouldn’t pull. Got out of position and applied more pressure and got it to pull back and it dropped the case but the bullet was still in the barrel. The case had a light primer strike. I have a picture but can’t post on here ugh
                    You could have a short throat or incorrect headspace. It sound like the bolt is not going into full battery. If you have access to a nogo or field gauge, I would definitely check headspace.

Comment

• Irbuff
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2017

So just to be sure I shot another 20 rounds of black through it with no issues. Even manually ejecting every other round. I’m just curious since I don’t know, why would the black work flawlessly. Could it still work if it’s a short throat or incorrect headspace?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Help me to understand if that is the issue why does the black work just fine? This is all a learning experience for me.
                        Some projectiles have more of a secant ogive (streamlined, sharp cone-like nose profile).

Others have a more tangent ogive like a football.

If I load both projectile types with the same ogive length to the same COL, the tangent profile will engage the rifling sooner.

This shows up immediately in chambers that are short-throated.

A simple finish reaming with a quality, optically-inspected reamer in the hands of a good smith can fix the problem within a few minutes.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Some projectiles have more of a secant ogive (streamlined, sharp cone-like nose profile).

Others have a more tangent ogive like a football.

If I load both projectile types with the same ogive length to the same COL, the tangent profile will engage the rifling sooner.

This shows up immediately in chambers that are short-throated.

A simple finish reaming with a quality, optically-inspected reamer in the hands of a good smith can fix the problem within a few minutes.
                          How can I get my hands on this tool so I can bring a short throat grendel barrel I received today to get fixed at my local gunsmith.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Order a JGS or Manson SAAMI spec 6.5 Grendel reamer.

Take it to a competent smith who won't back the reamer out, and knows how to use enough fluid while finish-reaming it.

You will have no real way of knowing whether your smith is competent or not unless you have a lot of experience with him already, or another reputable smith recommends him.

There are a lot of imposters out there, I've found.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Order a JGS or Manson SAAMI spec 6.5 Grendel reamer.

Take it to a competent smith who won't back the reamer out, and knows how to use enough fluid while finish-reaming it.

You will have no real way of knowing whether your smith is competent or not unless you have a lot of experience with him already, or another reputable smith recommends him.

There are a lot of imposters out there, I've found.
                              Thanks for the info sir.

I found a internet company reamerentals they show a sammi grendel finish reamer I can rent.

Is that the tool I would need or a full on chamber reamer?

Yes sir my Smith has done work for me on many projects, does dang good work.

Sorry for highjacking just trying to make sure I get the right tool for the job, it was a cheap barrel and it probably be cheaper and quicker less headache just to have it finished myself and get on with the build.

Comment

Working...
                              X