• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KD85
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2019

PSA pistol upper

Has onyone used the 6.5 Pistol upper from PSA. what kind of accuracy did you get out of it?
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by KD85 View Post
    Has onyone used the 6.5 Pistol upper from PSA. what kind of accuracy did you get out of it?
    Are you talking the 12" Grendel upper?
    If so then yes, I have had mine for a bit now.

So I got the newly aquired 12" PSA upper out to the range today.... put it against my 18" GrendelHunter and had a pretty great range session till the crowds started coming in. I usually shoot on Mondays when I am off from work so being a Saturday, the lanes we a bit more busier than I would of liked but, I still got

Here is a Video of me shooting some cheap wolf at 100 yards with a new scope on it.

― George Orwell

Comment

• mtnlvr
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

I've got a 12" SS PSA 6.5 Grendel. No reliability issues...gas block was adjusted way open. Accuracy sucked out of the box with Hornady Black and the various ladders I worked up reloading. So I took it apart, lapped the receiver face, crowned the bbl, and bedded with blue loctite. Next outing was a huge improvement. Had a 0.4moa 3 shot group going at 100 yds. 4th shot I rushed an inch high, 5th shot just right. Omitting the 4th show would have been 0.8moa. Adding the 4th back in yielding 1.25 moa. Now I'm starting over with my ladders.

So far, I'm impressed with the 12". Velocities should end up in the 2200 fps range I think.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I bought the 12” CMV Nitride PSA 6.5 Grendel pistol kit. I used a PSA stripped lower and swapped out the EPT Trigger for a RRA NM. I started out using a 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle scope but switched to an older 2.5-10x42 scope. I’ve only got about 300 rounds through mine. I’ve shot a couple of groups with Hornady black which were 1” at 100 yards. My reloads of various bullets run about 1.5” on average for five shots. Wolf Steel case FMJ shoots 2.5”-3” groups and is pretty inconsistent with a couple groups at 4” or a little more.

The accuracy has improved but it made a lot of difference switching triggers and scope. I like my PSA pistol which has been 100% reliable.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 05-13-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
          Warrior
          • Dec 2018

Hade mine for about 6 months now. No trouble at all with FTE, FTF, FTL, etc. Two factory rounds shoot well/MOA, 120 Federal Fusion and the AA 120 TSX, but everything else was outside 1" at 50 yards. I have developed one hunting load that shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards. 110GR Controlled Chaos, 29.5 Grains of RL-15, Hornady Brass, CCI 400 primers, COAL of 2.250. Optic I chose was Leupold AR Mod 1 1.5-4 with the illuminated reticle. PSA SBA3 EPT lower kit with JP Enterprise enhanced reliability springs.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by mtnlvr View Post
            I've got a 12" SS PSA 6.5 Grendel. No reliability issues...gas block was adjusted way open. Accuracy sucked out of the box with Hornady Black and the various ladders I worked up reloading. So I took it apart, lapped the receiver face, crowned the bbl, and bedded with blue loctite. Next outing was a huge improvement. Had a 0.4moa 3 shot group going at 100 yds. 4th shot I rushed an inch high, 5th shot just right. Omitting the 4th show would have been 0.8moa. Adding the 4th back in yielding 1.25 moa. Now I'm starting over with my ladders.

So far, I'm impressed with the 12". Velocities should end up in the 2200 fps range I think.
            @mtnlvr

How did you re-crown the muzzle? I was thinking of trying the brass screw method. What do you think?

Comment

• mtnlvr
              Warrior
              • Feb 2019

That's what I did. 1/4" brass domed slotted head screw. Took my time. Applied valve lapping compound to both parts, moderate pressure while spinning somewhat slower with a drill while swirling or orbiting the drill and screw so the screw wouldn't wear all in one spot. Wipe clean, check progress and repeat until desired crown depth is achieved. I went about 3x depth radially compared to the barrel's groove depth. I used two screws. The first I used mostly and it ended up wearing to an odd shape. Once I was close to the depth I wanted I switched to the other screw for the "finishing" passes where I used less pressure. I did notice a little burr when I was done but I'm pretty sure that shot out after a handful of rounds. I think less heat (less pressure and slower speed) would keep the burr down.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                Warrior
                • Nov 2018

Thanks!

Did you use Brownells upper lapping bar tool?

Comment

• mtnlvr
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

No, I made my own on a lathe at work.

Comment

Working...
                  X