• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TwoStrokeTyrant
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2019

Handguard Suggestions

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I am also new to the 6.5 Grendel(and precision/long range shooting in general). I have decided to build a 6.5G upper for an existing Noveske lower that is was built for a .223 SPR build I did. I have decided to go with JP Enterprises for all of the upper parts(receiver, barrel, bolt/bcg, gas block)except for their handguard as I just do not really dig their offerings. It is going to be a 22 inch barreled upper. I want something sturdy but still lightweight as it will be a bench/range gun but also a coyote/hog gun that will be humped through Texas brush. I would also prefer M-LOK compatibility as this is what I use on my other rifles and carbines. I am looking at the offering from Grendel Hunter as it seems to meet my requirements while being pretty affordable but I am not certain of the quality or the integrity of its mount-up. Looking for suggestions in the 18-20 inch range (cover the rifle-length gas system)that are free floated and right around the $150-$175 mark. Thank you for your time
    Last edited by TwoStrokeTyrant; 01-02-2020, 08:38 PM.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Aero s-one is what you seek.

Comment

• TwoStrokeTyrant
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2019

I had looked at them as well. They look pretty solid but haven?t really seen much real world feedback

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Midwest industries

What all do you plan to attach to your handguard?

Comment

• TwoStrokeTyrant
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2019

I have used midwest handguards. I really like them. They are a bit more pricey but I?m probably gonna have to accept that I?m not gonna find a longer handguard under $200

Honestly probably just a bipod

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Midwest industries MI-CRLW15. 15 inch lightweight mlok. Runs around $190.

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

Seekins NOXs Rail System

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

If it's going to a hunting rifle you may want to consider a carbon fiber hand guard, my recent addition of one showed me the light. Doesn't feel cold or hot, it also doesn't clank like an aluminum one and they are stiff.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

My buddy uses alg defense and is happy with them and they are not expensive

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

If you go with ALG defense verify it is in fact M-Lok and not their proprietary design and rails. Hard to believe but UTG get good reviews on their hand guards.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by TwoStrokeTyrant View Post
                      I had looked at them as well. They look pretty solid but haven?t really seen much real world feedback
                      I'm running their 7 inch m-lok on my 12.5 pistol grendel and the 9 inch m-lok on my 16 inch dmr grendel.

Very solid and well thought out, well built handguards. Love the handheld cut and the way they cut the rail on top of the handguard so it cuts down the over all weight but still leaves enough rail if you choose too put on a flip up sight.

Only thing too watch for with this rail is the gas block clearance. Normal non adjustable aero gas blocks fit under it fit and the only adjustable gas block that I know of that will fit under it, is the set screw style slr adjustable gas block.

Really love the screw setup for attaching the handguard too the barrel nut. Very simple, yet very strong and it's impossible for it to loosen on its own.

I have decided these will be my go to handguards from now on.

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Lastrites is correct. Carbon fiber is the best way to go if you can afford one. SLR hand guards are my second favourite.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2018

If using a low profile gas block the LaRue SAT and LAT are worth looking at for $10 per inch, 7-13.2" available. You don't need 18" (or even 15") to cover rifle length gas. They are not the lightest HG out there but they are solid and wont bend if you look at them funny.

If you are going to be humping it long distances a carbon fiber one as suggested is likely the best choice. I doubt you will find one at your price range though.

Comment

• TwoStrokeTyrant
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2019

I appreciate everyone?s input. I think I am going to go with the Seekins. I am still tentatively considering the Lancer carbon fiber offering though. I will just have to see what I can spend by the time I actually get the build underway

Comment

• Lastrites
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

If you like the Lancer you should check out the Lyman Tac Star which is very similar but half the price. I went with the Coda Evolution as I didn't want to time the nut, but was seriously considering both the Lancer and Tac Star when I was shopping parts. Really like having the octagonal shape as the flat the bottom rides a bag very well.
                              [URL="https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/001011081116/12inch-carbon-fiber-handguard--ar-15"]https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/001011081116/12inch-carbon-fiber-handguard--ar-15[/URL
                              Last edited by Lastrites; 01-03-2020, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X