• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SCJim
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

Anyone here use Wilson barrels

I am putting together a 800 yard budget build upper. I started with a 22 inch Wilson since Kreiger and Criterion both have long wait times. I have never had any experience with their barrels but internet reviews seem to be positive. Anyone here have any hands on, I am hoping for a good consistent sub MOA rifle that will stay well above SS out to 800 with 8208 and a 120 gn bullet
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

There are two Wilsons that make rifle barrels; Wilson Arms -- http://wilsonarms.com/barrel-store/ & Wilson Combat -- https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Rifle-A...partments/106/

Which one are you asking about? I don't have any experience with Wilson Arms barrels but have had 3 different caliber ARs with Wilson Combat barrels. All have been MOA or better barrels.
      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• SCJim
        Warrior
        • Apr 2019

Wilson Combat , thanks for the replies

Comment

• Dt219
          Warrior
          • Nov 2020

Last edited by Dt219; 01-11-2022, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• BlogSarge
            Warrior
            • Nov 2018

Comment

• Cowdog
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

I just ordered the 18" Wilson Combat 6.5 Grendel barrel. I will be really happy if it is sub-moa. Had put an 18" Criterion on backorder at Primary Arms but saw on another sight that they are not expecting them for for 15 -18 months.

Comment

• HKGuns
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2021

I have 5 or 6 Wilson Combat barrels and they are all of very high quality and shoot great. I looked at Criterion initially as well but thought I'd give my business to a company who actually had stuff in stock.

I'm putting together a 22" 6.5C AR10 right now with a nice stainless WC barrel and it looks fantastic.

My Grendel is sporting a 20" Wilson Combat barrel as well.

Last edited by HKGuns; 01-13-2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• SDW
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

This is all good to hear for me as well. I'm putting together this upper with a WC 22" Grendel barrel. Has a VTOR MUR receiver, WC nitride'd BC. Been waiting on BFT's supply of bolts to come back in.

I have all the parts gathered, technically. Got an Aero 6.5 Grendel bolt in the BC right now--my only available Grendel bolt. A 15" BCM Alpha rail will cover the barrel. I just need to paint it some shade of sage-green first, to somewhat match the MUR's finish. And I'll probably paint the barrel too, same color. It's a little too bright for my taste.

I can say that I ran a borescope through it, just to have a look. The throat, the lands look excellent to me. Very consistent all the way around. Same with the rifling. I don't know if they "hand lap" these barrels or what.

22-Incher.jpg
                  Last edited by SDW; 01-14-2022, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2019

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                    This is all good to hear for me as well. I'm putting together this upper with a WC 22" Grendel barrel. Has a VTOR MUR receiver, WC nitride'd BC. Been waiting on BFT's supply of bolts to come back in.

I have all the parts gathered, technically. Got an Aero 6.5 Grendel bolt in the BC right now--my only available Grendel bolt. A 15" BCM Alpha rail will cover the barrel. I just need to paint it some shade of sage-green first, to somewhat match the MUR's finish. And I'll probably paint the barrel too, same color. It's a little too bright for my taste.

I can say that I ran a borescope down the bore, just to have a look. The throat, the lands look excellent to me. Very consistent all the way around. Same with the rifling. I don't know if they "hand lap" these barrels or what.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18589[/ATTACH]
                    On the WC site it says that their barrels feature hand-polished bores. It's in the description for each barrel.
                    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• SDW
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                      On the WC site it says that their barrels feature hand-polished bores. It's in the description for each barrel.
                      Thank you! Explains the nice appearance of the bore. I could not remember. Been a while since I looked at their site.
                      Last edited by SDW; 01-18-2022, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• SCJim
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2019

Mine was delivered yesterday. Only thing the borescope revealed was a light coating of some protectant, there is no doubt in my mind the had polishing occurred. I have seen $700 bolt barrels that were rougher. I put it in a low end Aero receiver, it was a very tight fit so I left it unbedded, with a Aero BCG , Seekins handguard, Midway std gas block. Did the break in today and was extremely impressed. I used a bunch of old steel cased Wolf for the break in. Shot 1 cleaned for first 5 rounds, then shot 3 rounds and cleaned two times, then moved up to 5 round groups and copper was minimal when cleaned after the first. I have broke in Criterion, Shilen and Kreiger barrels on bolt rifles that gave me more problems with copper and carbon. The last 5 round group was about 1 MOA using trash ammo. next week I will do some serious load development. I would bet a 6 pack of adult beverage I can get sub MOA at 850 yds with some 8208 and decent bullets in some handloads.
                        Last edited by SCJim; 01-20-2022, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Dt219
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2020

Keep us updated on the loading process for it. Most wc barrels I know of shoot great including mine

Comment

• SCJim
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Dt219 View Post
                            Keep us updated on the loading process for it. Most wc barrels I know of shoot great including mine
                            well it did not like 8208 and 123 Nosler CC's today. I actually had better groups breaking it in with the steel cased Wolf. That was the last of those Nosler CC's. I have five hundred Barnes 120gn match Burners I am going to try next. Lighter bullets are scarce right now. I have plenty of 140 grain bullets but would like to stay with 120 - 123's. I check all of my sources a few times a day for bullets. Luxury of being retired. I have a few other powders H322, Power Pro Varmint, and Tac. If the Barnes don't work I my try some of the 130 gn ELD-M 's. I see them quite a bit on my searches. Or get off my wallet and get some 108 or 123 Lapua Scenars.

Comment

• SDW
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2018

Interesting results. I don't have any kind of bulk factory ammo. So for my break-in, I'll need to load up some 'low expectation" ammo with PPU 120gr HPBTs on a mid loading of CFE 223.

Comment

Working...
                              X