• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Growler View Post
    Hey Montana,

Curious what your experience with this product has been. How many rounds do you have through this system? Any surprises?

This seems like a very smart design in the tool-free adjustment space. If one expects to be using a wide range of bullet weights or both suppressed and unsuppressed, this would be very helpful.

Interested in the gas control. Given the wavy spring loaded pin is a unique design, did it give predictable control over gas as you made adjustments to dial it in?

Any assembly issues?

Thanks
    I haven't put enough rounds through it to even see any significant erosion on the plunger. Been busy with my business and a shoulder surgery. I can say I'm happy with the fit and quality of the barrel journal bore. The design is by far the easiest adj gas block to disassemble and maintain I have ever used. The parts are simple to access and replace if needed.I want to test the plunger range with and without my suppressor using different types of ammunition.There are different plunger lengths to fit different calibers and needs if required. I don't see any negatives to this adj gas system other than needing a proprietary straight gas tube, but until I get some actual time and rounds through it, I'm going to hold off on any real judgments. That said, it looks very promising..

Comment

• keystone183
      Warrior
      • Mar 2013

I too love SLR. Their customer service is simply unbeatable. No company across any other industry has better service than they do! HOWEVER....the problem with their blocks is if you don't maintain them regularly, especially if shooting suppressed....the will carbon up and then are a pain to clean/replace parts. I have been moving to using Rubber City's adjustable gas key. It has its drawbacks, but it also has advantages i like. Now, i only have one of these, but....so far it has been great, and i don't know how long the detent spring will last....but i would guess its pretty robust? This design to me has legs!

Torque: Recommended value for the 3 clamp screws should be no more then 15 in/lbs (1.69 nM) Traditional adjustable AR gas blocks often require tools to adjust the settings. On top of that, going back to the same settings can be difficult like when switching from suppressed and unsuppressed configurations. Remove the hassle but keep the functionality with Strike Industries’ innovative adjustable gas block.  Using 5 pre-sized settings and 1 closed setting, easily return to the exact same level of gas flow for your direct impingement system. The gas block easily switches position by rotating the collar by hand or while it’s inside a hand guard with a bullet or blade.  Compatibility Mil-Spec barrels that have a gas block stop. *Use included allen keys for installation. Not doing so may cause set screws to strip. We recommend all parts be installed by a licensed gunsmith. Recommended torque value for the 3 clamp screws should be no more then 15in/lbs.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
        I too love SLR. Their customer service is simply unbeatable. No company across any other industry has better service than they do! HOWEVER....the problem with their blocks is if you don't maintain them regularly, especially if shooting suppressed....the will carbon up and then are a pain to clean/replace parts. I have been moving to using Rubber City's adjustable gas key. It has its drawbacks, but it also has advantages i like. Now, i only have one of these, but....so far it has been great, and i don't know how long the detent spring will last....but i would guess its pretty robust? This design to me has legs!

https://www.strikeindustries.com/si-ar-cagb.html
        A lot of excellent looking designs on the market these days. Making adj gas blocks more bullet proof, user friendly and having more choices is always a positive..When adding any non mil spec part to an AR rifle system, it can have a ripple effect with the rest of the rifle system, especially if the builder doesn't understand the dynamics of the AR platform..Any adj gas block- bolt carrier group will leak more gas than mill spec and a rifle already running on the edge can have negative consequences. Adding the tolerances of the parts to the system also adds another part to the equation that can have positive or negative effects.. Basic understanding of this process can prevent a lot of headaches if a problem arises..

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Just an up-date on the Rifle Speed Adj gas block.https://www.riflespeed.com/RIFLESPEE...-750_p_12.html

I can say without hesitation this is the best adj gas block I have ever used. It is a game changer..I'm in the process of replacing my other adj gas blocks where warranted.

The only criticism I have is the tension spring is a little weak for my taste, but was easily rectified by adding a second spring. It is so easy to adjust the gas in the field without searching for allen wrenches and fumbling with the weak adjuster screws. I have not oiled or serviced one adjuster for over a thousands rounds on one of my 5.56 rifles and it has been working perfectly..

With certain length gas tubes and hand guards it would be necessary to modify the hand guard to have access to the adjuster..Not a problem if done correctly..
          I also had to modify the Picatinny Accessory Rail's screws on two of my carbon fiber Faxon hand guards for clearance reasons which was an easy fix.

If you want a bomb proof adjustable gas block, then the Rifle Speed is the one you should get..Ill say it again, the Rifle Speed adj gas block is a game changer..

Comment

Working...
          X