X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

No, the shim goes in the front, not the back of the barrel flange which serves no advantage and can be detrimental..Doing so to a trued (lapped) receiver front is counter productive and detrimental..But like I stated before, what you and others do with your rifles is no skin off of my teeth..

I have yet to see a Colt or any other factory rifle where they cut a barrel nut key to obtain proper torque..If a gun smith recommended cutting a barrel key, (I wouldn't go nuclear lol), but I would say have a nice day and try to find a competent gunsmith....

I never mentioned anyone's name Klem, so I don't know what you are talking about discrediting them..I will discredit (methods) I believe to be wrong, detrimental or even harmful, with or without your approval..You and others are obviously free to discredit my opinion without needing my approval.. That is what is called discussion..

So what I'm confused about is why are you trying to set ground rules for me if not blatantly giving me a warning?? If this is the direction you are taking, you are barking up the wrong tree..

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Montana,

I think we might be getting the front and back of the barrel extension mixed up. I understand you are recommending Bison shims, but not their recommended assembly - if so, then we agree. I would think putting the shim on the muzzle side of the extension would be better. As long as the shim does not gall as you crank up the torque, and a bit of lube would solve that.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Yes, we are in agreement on shim placement and they can gall if not lightly greased..

I just posted some inexpensive shims and I'm not endorsing any brand. My point was there is no need to mangle (grind off the barrel key) when using an inexpensive shim is easy to use..

I have used many different types of shims and they all worked fine. They can be obtained in different thicknesses..

We obviously disagree on many methods and I have no problem with that..I will speak my mind as I would expect you to.. I do have a problem when it starts to turn into a chest pounding exercise which I have no desire to participate in..

I'm sorry if I upset you Klem, it was not my intention..

Have a nice day..

Comment

Working...
        X