1:75 vs 1:8 - anybody tell the difference and if so , where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob4432
    Warrior
    • May 2016

1:75 vs 1:8 - anybody tell the difference and if so , where?

Title says it all.

Please explain if there is a difference.
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bob4432 View Post
    Title says it all.

Please explain if there is a difference.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob,

Depending on the quality of gun, ammunition, rest, weather conditions, range, and your ability to shoot you probably won't notice the difference. Or more importantly, not be able to tell whether the twist is the reason for the group size.

6.5's come in a range from 1:7 to 1:9 with the majority of drop-ins in the middle 1:8. I have shot a 1:7.5 Pac Nor 'Super Match' in 6.5x47 shooting 130gn bullets and got larger groups than 1:8 Kriegers, but am tempted to think it's the barrel quality rather than the twist. I've only had one faster than normal twist barrel in 6.5mm so we should not be generalizing to your situation. In 223 F Class I have used a slightly faster twist 1:7", than the normal 1:8", to stabilize the heaviest 90gn Berger bullets, but again results on target were a big yawn.

In 6.5mm Shilen recommends 1:7"-1:8" for bullets 130gn and heavier, and for lighter than 130gn, 1:8"-1:9".

In 300Blackout, in the early days the standard was 1:8" but is now 1:7" across the industry, to stabilize the heaviest 200-220gn subsonics.

The point being, faster twists to stabilize heavier bullets and slower twists if exclusively shooting lighter bullets is the general principle, but there can be a cost to spinning bullets too fast. Over-stabilized rounds resist pointing to the target after apogee, so for long range shots this means wider groups. Plus any imperfections in the bullet get magnified the faster you spin it, again larger groups. In extreme cases overspinning a bullet has it coming apart somewhere downrange before the target. LeHigh now includes advice on spin RPM for their 30cal Blackout type bullets after they were coming apart in shooters' suppressors, damaging them.

To be fair, the difference you are considering is slight and if anything favors heavier bullets. Up to you but I doubt you'll notice any difference (all other things being equal).
    Last edited by Klem; 03-26-2023, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

In a grendel couldn't tell you. In .223 I can tell you with a 80gr bullet or heavier I prefer faster than a 1:8 twist as I have experienced destabilization when pushing the projectile past 3000fps. This has lead me to a thought of math vs reality.

My experience shows a difference, yet I shoot with guys who are successful. The only difference is the barrel manufacturer, so there is where the question arises. Am I REALLY 1:8 or is it slower.... or is theirs really 1:8 and is really faster?

I came up with 2 solutions and ran them both. I switched barrels to a krieger 1:7.7 and issue went away.

I slowed down to 2900fps and issue went away.

Comparing the results of the 2 contrasting by effort and cost, simply adjusting my load was a far more efficient solution. The extra 100fps gained me nearly nothing on target, well within error of shooter.

What did I learn? If I'm asking the question of 1:7 vs 1:8 just stop. Spend more time in load development, going the other route will put an unnecessary dent in your wallet that you would be far happier with putting towards an optic.
      Last edited by Zeneffect; 03-26-2023, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• bob4432
        Warrior
        • May 2016

Appreciate the knowledge gentlemen. I have my own thoughts on the matter and know I am not in the "top of the shooting class" so I came here to see if those with more shooting time had an overwhelming yes or no.
        Last edited by bob4432; 03-27-2023, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

My opinion on this issue has evolved.

I set twist rates for the worst-case scenario, which I define as a 12" Grendel on the Alaskan coast in winter. So I go to the Berger Twist Rate Stability CalculatorBrian Litz study said it could help accuracy at long range and the fps loss from tighter twist rates
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Zeneffect
            Chieftain
            • May 2020

And that .25 inch gain at 300 yards will be negated by a squirrel farting in the woods 30 feet away from the target. Lots of stuff we obsess over don't really matter in practical application.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

ZE, agreed. But one has to, in the end, spec one twist rate or the other. So might as well spec it rationally and let the farts fly where they may....
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

Posts 5 & 7 -- Well said !!
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• kmon
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2015

My Grendel Boltaction has a 1:8.4 22 inch and does fine out to 600 yards with 130gr Berger. I usually go with faster twist but when offered a good deal on an Obermeyer barrel why not take it.

I have a couple that I wish were a little faster twist for heavier bullets but to me I can run the 90gr bullets in the 1:8 22-243 27 inch barrel but really have to stand on the gas to get acceptable accuracy.

In selecting between those for the Grendel I would go 7.5 twist especially if going with a shorter barrel.

Berger twist rate calculator is fun to play with and can be informative

Comment

• Bonas
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2022

This is a concise article from Lapua discussing stability, twist, and their stability calculator: https://www.lapua.com/lapua-ballisti...ty-estimation/

It's also a good reminder that twist rate and stability relate to a bullet's length, not its weight. Oftentimes, weight is a good enough indicator of length but not always.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                        My opinion on this issue has evolved.

I set twist rates for the worst-case scenario, which I define as a 12" Grendel on the Alaskan coast in winter. So I go to the Berger Twist Rate Stability CalculatorBrian Litz study said it could help accuracy at long range and the fps loss from tighter twist rates
                        The last part in particular. Personally I run 1 / 9 in 20", and run 1/8 in everything shorter - and have been happy. I have little desire to run 1/ 7.5, but I suppose if you are planning on running 140's, in a 12", it would matter.
                        4x P100

Comment

Working...
                        X