X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eye_guy
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2020

Last edited by Eye_guy; 04-22-2023, 04:24 AM.

Comment

• Redraider
      Warrior
      • May 2012

Here is something to keep in the back of your mind, if I am not mistaken, I think there are alot of states that do NOT allow game hunting with any .22 caliber(5.56) rifle!

Redraider

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
        I wanted a light weight 20" upper build when I was putting my 2nd upper together, so went with the faxon gunner profile barrel as it appeared to be the lightest 20" production tube I could find. And considered each part of the upper for function vs weight and made my choices.
        Sadly, this barrel seems to be out of production. I don't think there was anything quite like it on the market.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
          Warrior
          • Sep 2023

I'm never spent $2k on any of my uppers, EVER. In fact I have bought most of my scopes used.

Certainly if you want all of those designer parts, that's what it will cost you. You can save a lot up front by using something you have already, then get the scope/rings later. My suggestion...
          From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• Steve_evetS
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Fess View Post
            There is a BIG difference in hunting with a Grendel at 600 yards and shooting steel. I am more conservative than many here, but I don't consider the 6.5 Grendel to be a 600 yard hunting cartridge. Also be aware that most data for factory ammo is with a 24" barrel. The bullet will be going pretty slow out there so expansion will be an issue. Any wind will move the bullet a fair distance laterally.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Fess View Post
              There is a BIG difference in hunting with a Grendel at 600 yards and shooting steel. I am more conservative than many here, but I don't consider the 6.5 Grendel to be a 600 yard hunting cartridge. Also be aware that most data for factory ammo is with a 24" barrel. The bullet will be going pretty slow out there so expansion will be an issue. Any wind will move the bullet a fair distance laterally.
              Yes. 600yds is really pushing it beyond what most would even consider.

400yds is about the cut-off for expansion for most loads, and requires elevation hold or dialing for your POA to equal POI.

With any rifle caliber, the vast majority of shooters should really keep it within 300yds until they get training with shooting at intermediate distances.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Steve_evetS View Post
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bob R
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2023

I am in the middle of a 6.5 Grendel build myself.
                  I am using an Anderson Upper and Lower Receiver.
                  AR-Stoner Bolt Carrier Group.
                  AR-Stoner Rifle Buffer Tube, Buffer, and Spring.
                  Mag-Pull MOE Fixed Rifle Stock.
                  Aero-Precision Lower Build Kit w/o Fire Control Parts. MagPul MOE Grip.
                  AR-Stoner Mil Spec charging handle. I will probably add the Badger Latch to it.
                  Stern Defense 15" M-Loc Handguard.
                  Stern Defense 2-Stage Cassette Trigger w/Lite Rifle Spring, factory installed and tested. 2.5 LB Second Stage
                  BARREL Compass Lake H-Bar 20", using a Douglas Blank.
                  AR-Stoner Magazines (Ammunition Storage Component Brand).
                  Scope Base: Leupold Mark AR Cantilever Base. (I now have Four, I like them)
                  Scope: SWFA 20X Super Sniper that I have owned for years.

I believe that I have picked my parts wisely for the best Bang for my Buck's. I did spend a little more on what should be a quality barrel. Waiting on the barrel to get it all together. I sure hope that it ends up being a tack driver.

Bob R
                  Last edited by Bob R; 12-19-2023, 05:10 AM.

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Bob R View Post
                    BARREL Compass Lake 20", using a Douglas Blank.
                    That will be a shooter. Bob, you have done what I've seen advised on this forum again and again; put your money into the barrel, trigger and optic. (Though that SS 20x didn't set you back much!)
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Bob R
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2023

biodsl you are correct, at $300 a pop, I did not spend a lot on the Super Sniper Scope. The SWFA Super Sniper Fixed Power Scopes are well worth the money they cost. I have owned several over the years. Not as clear as a Tactical Leupold, but they do not cost $800 - $2,000 either. I have a couple Leupold Mk IV M1 16X TMR Scopes. They cost 5X as much as the Super Snipers. The Leupolds have better glass, but not 5X better for Range use or Coyotes in daylight.
                      I am pretty sure that I can get by without spending $150 on a Super Bolt also. We have enough good load data now days to keep the PSI's where they need to be, and not break parts. As far as upper receivers, I have a Colt, a Rock River, an Aero, as well as Andersons. I really cannot tell any difference in the quality, fit, and finish. The main difference is Cost for brand recognition in my humble opinion.

The Barrel, Trigger, and Glass are the items you need to concentrate on to have a shooter.

Bob R

Comment

• CJW
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2019

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Continuing the discussion on what is effective range.

Here is the chart used by the local authorities to determine whether a local applicant's choice of gun and size of property are adequate for a firearms licence. It was devised by our Agricultural Protection Board who handle culling of various pest species, including donkeys and camels from helo's. Grendel is not included as this chart was devised before the calibre existed. It represents a governmental view of what is effective. What is relevant here is the recommended calibre for the type of animal. It is not compulsory for shooters to follow this and what happens on private property is largely that, private. But there is an expectation from everyone involved that all animal shooting is humane, and there are laws protecting animals from inhumane hunters. Note the expected short ranges for all hunting and culling.
                          APB Firearm Calibre Chart - Copy.jpg

Comment

• imaguy3
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                            Continuing the discussion on what is effective range.

Here is the chart used by the local authorities to determine whether a local applicant's choice of gun and size of property are adequate for a firearms licence. It was devised by our Agricultural Protection Board who handle culling of various pest species, including donkeys and camels from helo's. Grendel is not included as this chart was devised before the calibre existed. It represents a governmental view of what is effective. What is relevant here is the recommended calibre for the type of animal. It is not compulsory for shooters to follow this and what happens on private property is largely that, private. But there is an expectation from everyone involved that all animal shooting is humane, and there are laws protecting animals from inhumane hunters. Note the expected short ranges for all hunting and culling.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]20156[/ATTACH]
                            I'm amazed they don't suggest using shotgun for deer...

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post
                              I'm amazed they don't suggest using shotgun for deer...
                              imaguy,

Shotgun would not be my first choice for deer either.

There are very few deer here. They are a non-native/introduced species that have escaped from wildlife parks or commercial farms. Fallow only and they are elusive. Unlike pigs they are a niche species for hunters here. Civilian shooters can only shoot on private property with permission of the owner and the few deer that roam freely are in national and State forests, or unallocated crown land. That means they are the exclusive purview of the disciplined bodies associated with the management of that land. Big problems if anyone else is caught on that land with a firearm.

Comment

Working...
                              X