Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seatleroadwr

Who makes the strongest upper receiver?

I've got a Satern barrel on order which should be delivered in October. I have a couple of regular receivers however I'd like to use the strongest receiver I can find. Who makes a beefed up upper receiver?
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Vltor MUR:

Drifter

Comment

Mega Billet, LAR ops-4, AA ,DPMS LO pro at midway for @80 bucks. Often go on sale. There are many others but just going with whats on my mind. The DPMS is cheaper than billet and plenty strong enough for the heaviest barrel youll build an AR with. I have one with a 24" super bull (1.3" I think) shoots 1/4 - 1/2 moa consistently. Just my opinion, I think billet is overpriced and overrated. Nothing wrong with it if thats what someone wants, just dont think its necessary.

Comment

Go for the MUR, there is nothing better.

If it comes to lowers, I would like to test an AXTS, but unfortunately they are not available in Germany
        Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2012, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• seatleroadwr

Thanks guys. I have a DPMS and a Rock River sitting in my safe right now. That MUR looks pretty stout.

Comment

+1 for the Vltor Mur, Mega, and Lar Ops. The reasoning for the billet upper is for the strength and rigidity because of that long barrel sticking way out there putting stress on the front of the receiver. I dont think short barreled builds really need it. Can you get by without it on a long barrel build sure. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It really comes down to what you like personaly aesthetically and what your willing to afford. I have no doubt you will like your Satern barrel either. I love mine. Cant wait for the pics of your build.

Keith

Comment

Another great upper is the LaRue Stealth. I do think it is prudent to go with a larger mass upper, with a tight-fitting barrel extension slot.

This is one of the areas that AA pays attention to with the heavy barreled uppers, machining tolerances so that tightness helps with a consistent barrel to receiver mate.

Keep in mind that the AR15 upper receiver was designed around the .222 Remington cartridge, with as lightweight barrels as possible, weight being the key factor in determining the construction. The .222 Rem is a 50,000 psi rated SAAMI cartridge.

When the AR15/.222 Rem couldn't penetrate a steel helmet at 500yds, they blew the shoulder forward, increasing powder volume and driving the pressures up to 55-58k psi, however, the bolt, barrel extension, receiver diameter, magazine-COAL relationship, and other parts associated with harnessing this pressure/barrel whip were not enlarged to even really create an ideal platform for the 5.56 NATO since it would have been so minimal in dimensional changes.

No take a cartridge with a larger case head diameter and try to pack it into this receiver set, hang a 24"+ heavy barrel off it, and expect ideal results....? This is why the beefier upper receivers make a lot of sense for this type of build.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                Perhaps I should have noted that the Vltor MUR is forged and not billet. But I still stand by my recommendation. It's a thick, rigid, and strong receiver, and I consider it among the very best.
                Drifter

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

i have a lar ops4 billet and it is impressively built and its dedicated side cocking if you want a a3 style i recommend sundevil for upper and lower the are billeted and impressive as well at a fair price
                  Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Another great upper is the LaRue Stealth. I do think it is prudent to go with a larger mass upper, with a tight-fitting barrel extension slot.

This is one of the areas that AA pays attention to with the heavy barreled uppers, machining tolerances so that tightness helps with a consistent barrel to receiver mate.

Keep in mind that the AR15 upper receiver was designed around the .222 Remington cartridge, with as lightweight barrels as possible, weight being the key factor in determining the construction. The .222 Rem is a 50,000 psi rated SAAMI cartridge.

When the AR15/.222 Rem couldn't penetrate a steel helmet at 500yds, they blew the shoulder forward, increasing powder volume and driving the pressures up to 55-58k psi, however, the bolt, barrel extension, receiver diameter, magazine-COAL relationship, and other parts associated with harnessing this pressure/barrel whip were not enlarged to even really create an ideal platform for the 5.56 NATO since it would have been so minimal in dimensional changes.

No take a cartridge with a larger case head diameter and try to pack it into this receiver set, hang a 24"+ heavy barrel off it, and expect ideal results....? This is why the beefier upper receivers make a lot of sense for this type of build.
                    I agree with you lr. I should have been a little more clear in my first post, as I definitely think a heavier upper reciever is beneficial, I just cant personally justify the cost of billet over, say, the heavy walled DPMS lo pro. that thing is a beast. Now, if I were going any longer than 24", I would probably go the little extra $. I think Ill be fine with the DPMS with a 22" at .800 diameter.(I hope )

Comment

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                      I agree with you lr. I should have been a little more clear in my first post, as I definitely think a heavier upper reciever is beneficial, I just cant personally justify the cost of billet over, say, the heavy walled DPMS lo pro. that thing is a beast. Now, if I were going any longer than 24", I would probably go the little extra $. I think Ill be fine with the DPMS with a 22" at .800 diameter.(I hope )
                      Im confused i thought your barrel was 24 inches and you had a diameter of 1.3" on yours already? You must have 2.

Comment

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
                        Im confused i thought your barrel was 24 inches and you had a diameter of 1.3" on yours already? You must have 2.
                        actually the super bull is a .223. waiting on my first grendel barrel. I have several ar's, all of which Ive built (or assembled) with the exception of an oly arms k8 target match 20" and the dpms super bull, which is in my cousins possession, so Ill proly never see it back!

Comment

HI there!! I am collecting the information on ar15 upper receiver and have gone through your thread and it seems to be very interesting. Please do share some more tips to buy these ar15 upper receiver online at low prices.. Thanks

ar15 upper receiver
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Watch out with the MUR. I've heard of the FA falling off (it's just pinned on). I'm avoiding it for that reason.

If you're not worried about the FA, nevermind.

Comment

I don't think you're going to see any benefits of billet vs. forged as long as the mass is there, the material is 7075 or 7000 series Aircraft-grade aluminum, and hardcoat anodized deeply into the aluminum like a Type III Milspec. The DPMS Lo-Pro's might be 6061, as they were before IIRC. I think I've seen distributors market them as 7075, but who knows for sure.

6061 is softer, and is easier/cheaper/faster to machine. I'm not sure if the 6061 upper will gall with continued recoil over time enough to make POI shift or cause accuracy degradation. Bill Alexander's understanding of metallurgy and the characteristics of the Grendel would have to weigh-in on that one, but we can see what he uses on the long-barreled guns to gain a clue.

Comment

Working...
                              X