X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

The DPMS Lo Pro is made of extruded 7029 T6 aluminium. It is a similar design to their AR-10 slick side upper.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Haraise View Post
      Watch out with the MUR. I've heard of the FA falling off (it's just pinned on). I'm avoiding it for that reason.

If you're not worried about the FA, nevermind.
      I would think that is very much the exception and not common at all. Even Noveske often uses the MUR.

Besides, lots of parts are pinned on an AR. Heck, the upper is pinned to the lower.

If it matters, the MUR's FA can be removed and a flat plate used instead if desired:

Drifter

Comment

Lo pro is 7031 T6 extruded. I think its ok for at least 24" and shorter. Dont get me wrong, if I had the extra cash, Id go with a matched set in billet, I like the looks. But for now the lo pro will work.

Comment

You guys keep mentioning the DPMS low pro upper. I know its basically a .223 upper but is it suffecient for the grendel. Is the discharge port large enough to not cause any problems?

Comment

Shiv,

That upper receiver is fine for the grendel. As far as I can tell, MOST grendels are built on standard upper receivers. Everyone Ive seen on an A3 or similar upper has dust cover that looks to be normal size. I have seen some custom oversize dust covers on another forum, but those were for the .50 beowulf.

Richard

Comment

Ok...thanks..I just thought the AA upper had a larger ejection port for the ejection of the larger Grendel case? Just curious...

Comment

Shiv,

Im not sure, maybe someone will measure theirs (AA A3 upper) and post here what they get. My lo-pro after milling for a side charger is .498 at the inside(smallest measurement). All my A3's are .496-.500. IIRC, I measured the lo-pro when I first got it and decided that it would work with no machining unless extractor was bent or the extr. spring was too weak/strong. My cousin has the other lo-pro I finally sold him, Ill measure maybe this weekend. It hasnt been milled out at all.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Grendel uses a standard ejection port, Beowulf uses a larger ejection port.

Comment

thanks bwaites, thought so just wanted to make sure.

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2015

Can monsters resurrect zombies ? Yes ? Great !
                      Can I hear some updated thoughts ? I want the cheapest thick walled upper I can find. Any ideas ? I was going to buy the cheapest upper I can find, ($41.95 Anderson upper on joebobs) but I figured for precision on my 24" bull barrel I should get a heavy walled upper. I was hoping to only spend on my scope barrel and trigger, but the end goal is precision so it's worth spending a little more.
                      Thanks

Comment

• Rainman
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2015

Also check out Seekins Precision billet uppers and companies like Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT) and Mega's one piece uppers.

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2015

Thank you. I can't seem to find a lmt stripped upper. Also to save on costs I think I'd rather forged over billet.

Comment

• DonCollins
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2016

I just completed a Grendel build using an Aero Precision M4E1. I wanted a stronger mounting point at the front of the upper since I wasn't building light weight. Not cheap for forged, but way cheaper than billet. Anyone else consider them? I love it and plan to use for future builds... Did I make the wrong choice in the eyes of the Grendel world?

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2015

It's an interesting idea to integrate the connection between the upper and the handguard, but it doesn't seem like the upper itself has thicker walls.

Comment

• Attackship
                                Unwashed
                                • Nov 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X