X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

5/8-24 is certainly a more versatile thread size that being said i didnt ask when i confirmed the bolt either but i have a 9/16-24 flash hider sitting in the cabnet looking for a home so i am covered either way
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

Just got mine and put it togeather they are 5/8-24 threaded

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

Does it say 5R? Also do you live right down the road? Still no Lilja either.

Comment

It didn't say 5R in the picture I looked at. The barrel extension looks different also, I don't think it's a Liberty barrel, maybe Wilson Arms if we are lucky. Mine should be here tomorrow, I take some pictures.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

i am in michigan but decently close to a ups and fedex hubs i get midway and brownell in two days usually via ground shipping, it does not say 5r on it like the liberty barrels, it says 6.5 Grendel 1-8 on the top and brownell on the bottom of the barrel but i counted 5 lands and groove in the barrel, it cabe in a triangle box with brown tape as oppose to the square box with red tape from satern/liberty/stoner

Comment

• customcutter

My 18" Liberty barrel came in a triangular box????

Comment

• Tedward
                Banned
                • Feb 2013

Mine too, and they used Brown tape. Original....

Also have you tried to hand chamber a factory round with the bolt to see if it locks or if it requires pushing it like the Liberty barrels?

My bolt wont lock and haven't tried to force it. I'll put it on an upper tomorrow and chamber a round wit the bolt and use the buffer spring to help it.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                  i am in michigan but decently close to a ups and fedex hubs i get midway and brownell in two days usually via ground shipping, it does not say 5r on it like the liberty barrels, it says 6.5 Grendel 1-8 on the top and brownell on the bottom of the barrel but i counted 5 lands and groove in the barrel, it cabe in a triangle box with brown tape as oppose to the square box with red tape from satern/liberty/stoner

My Liberty barrels all come in triangle boxes with red tape.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

Well then I guess based upon box and tape....we have learned nothing about the origin

Comment

• explorecaves

My lilja barrel came in a triangle box with clear tape...

Comment

• Tedward
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2013

Crap, the triangle box fairy made them....

Comment

• Trock03
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2012

My Brownells barrel showed up yesterday. White triangle box (from the triangle box fairy), brown tape that had been cut and re-taped with clear packing tape. Little sticker on it saying the box had been open for inspection by Brownells. My AR Stoner barrel arrived in a white box, red tape that had been cut and re-taped with clear packing tape. No inspection sticker and the not much care had been taken to re-close the box. Both barrels protected with same blue fishnet stuff. Both packed with same little styrofoam plugs.

Both barrels have almost identical markings only the Stoner barrel indicates 5R rifling and the Brownells barrel says Brownells on the bottom. Both barrel extensions appear identical. Other than the Brownells lighter profile the only difference is the fit and finish. The Stoner barrel is rough with sharp transitions between the various ODs. The Brownells barrel is very smooth and the transitions appear to have been blended.

I'm going to assume they are both Liberty barrels based on the exact same engraved font. I can gravity feed a round into the Brownells chamber and close the bolt with little effort whereas this was impossible with the Stoner. Hoping to shoot it this weekend.

Anyone have a range report on their Brownells barrel?

Comment

• poli
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2014

Just got off the phone with Brownells; I asked them who manufactured the barrels and they said that they are now allowed to release the info...

Comment

• Tedward
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by poli View Post
                              Just got off the phone with Brownells; I asked them who manufactured the barrels and they said that they are now allowed to release the info...
                              Well did they release it???

Comment

I just looked at Brownell's barrel page. They list the manufacturer on at least some of these barrels, for example E. R. Shaw (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod41018.aspx).

Frankly, advertising the source for some and withholding, or refusing to name, the source name on others does tend to erode confidence. It might be worth a follow-up call, email, or letter, depending on how annoyed you are.

Comment

Working...
                                X