Favorite Venison recipes? Make this a Sticky!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Cut up enough back strap to feed how many people you plan on having for the meal into bite size pieces. Place into crockpot. Add one or more cans of cream of mushroom soup to cover the meat pretty good. Cook on low 8 hrs or so. Make up enough brown rice to make a good bed on each plate and place the meat and gravy on the bed of rice and chow down. So tender and good. Back when I was doing crop damage control and killing lots of deer every church social dinner I would take a big crock pot full of this and people would about sop the pot to get the last drop.

Here is another for BBQ. Take a roast and cook it in just plain water in a crockpot on low 8 hrs. Remove roast from crockpot and place on a plate or cutting board. Pour the water out of the crockpot. Pull and cut the meat apart on the roast into stringiness and place back into the crock pot. Take your favorite BBQ sauce and add to the meat and mix well. Turn the crockpot on LOW about 30 minutes to heat the meat and sauce. You can serve on buns as a sandwich or just plain with cold slaw, fried potatoes etc.

Here is a good one that I used to do while in camp when I used to do Revolutionary War re-enactment. Using a Dutch Oven make up and bake some biscuits. At the same time I would boil some pilled potatoes cut into bite size pieces in a cast iron pot set over the fire. When the biscuits were about 10 minutes from being done I would use a cast iron skillet and place about half a stick of butter into it and set it on a flat rock that was in the fire ring. When butter was melted I would add a good amount of chopped onions and let them saute until about half done and then add pieces of back strap cut into bite size pieces and cook them with the onions until the meat was medium rare. For the complete meal I would cut a couple of biscuits in half having a top and bottom piece lay them in a plate and then place the meat and onions on top of it. Place the potatoes on the plate and add butter, salt and pepper to taste. For desert at the same time as I made up biscuits I would make up enough dough to make some thin size biscuits. I would take another Dutch oven and place a foil pie pan in it for easier clean up latter. I would take a jar of cooked cinnamon apples that I would get from the Cracker Barrel Store and pour into the pan in the Dutch oven and then place the thin biscuit dough on top to cover them. Put on the lid and add hot coals under and on top to bake. The smell of the onions and meat cooking would always draw some unknowing soul into my camp site and I would invite them to dine. When finished eating I would say, "I did all the cooking now you can do all the cleaning up." LOL Worked every time.
    Last edited by 1Shot; 12-16-2019, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

This is great! (Glad I thought of it hahahaha!!!!!)
      We've got an instant-pot coming, plan to use it for pressure-cooking a lot of our stuff.

We did a version of this last nite for couple of friends and us, it was delicious.
      Left-overs tonight!!
      Easy deer meat ground venison recipe for dinner! Combining potatoes, garlic and other flavorful ingredients.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

Growing up in CT,I deer hunted on most weekends during hunting season w/my dad in the 1980’s.Y’know,father and son bonding thing.Never was into venison.But,the ol man was.He cooked it every way possible.Even made deer jerky.
        I liked some of his venison concoctions,as the man was a fantastic cook.The deer chili was great!I rememember him making a batch we took to my cousin’s 1985 Super Bowl party.It was the first thing to run out.He also made venison stew.He cubed it ,floured it and browned it.Then in the crockpot w/potatoes onions celery carrots and seasonings for a few hrs.I remember coming in from shoveling snow and smelling it.It hit the spot.He also made venison sausage w/peppers and onions.In a loaf of Fresh baked NY style Italian bread,you’d have it made.
        God,do I miss the ol man!

Comment

• MaineAR
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Marinade 1-2 lbs steak cut up to kebab size chunks overnight with teriyaki sauce in a Tupperware. Dice 1/2 red onion, 1-2 TSP minced garlic, a few ounces soy sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar and a small can pineapple juice. Add all items to the marinade and mix.. Make sure marinade covers the meat.

Skewer with fresh green pepper, red onion and pineapple chunks. CHARCOAL grill over medium-high heat, turning every few minutes until med/med-rare (or to your liking). Place over jasmin rice and add a little extra soy or teriyaki sauce to soak the rice and enjoy!

Comment

• FloorPoor
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2020

Any large roast, slow smoked 200-225 degrees, to about 150deg internal temp, then wrapped in foil for an hour, is usually amazing.

Comment

• FloorPoor
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2020

When I grind Elk, I add 10-20% Bacon ends and pieces. Adds a little fat and salt to the mix. It makes great spaghetti sauce among other things.

Comment

• Wallace
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2020

My favorite recipe is very simple. Any cut of steak, seared in a hot skillet and left rare. Complimented with fresh grated horseradish. That's it. I usually cook half my deer meat this way.

Comment

Working...
                X