• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • janttony
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2020

6.5 Grendel versus 6mm ARC for whitetail

With Hornady's release of the 6mm ARC, its long range performance has been discussed. Here's my question, in the spirit of the upcoming deer season, if you could only choose between 6.5 Grendel and 6mm ARC to hunt with for the entire season, which caliber would you choose? I'll give a few parameters, in that, barrel has to be more of a typical AR barrel length (i.e. 16"-20") and maximum range is 400 yards (I'm from South Georgia and, unless I'm on a power line, 200 yards is going to be my max shot distance).
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Do you handload? If not get the grendel, more factory hunting ammo choices.

If you handload, choose the one that tickles you, both rounds will kill what you shoot and you won't beable to tell the difference between one dead animal killed with arc and one killed with grendel.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post

If you handload, choose the one that tickles you, both rounds will kill what you shoot and you won't beable to tell the difference between one dead animal killed with arc and one killed with grendel.
      +1 !!
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• janttony
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2020

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

you won't beable to tell the difference between one dead animal killed with arc and one killed with grendel.
          You are a lot smarter than you look
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
            You are a lot smarter than you look
            Maybe I should run for president lmao.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

The arc adds about 150 yards of effective range for class 2 game and steel/paper combo gun it's very attractive package and finally a factory offering in the 6ppc/6br/6dasher class of cartridges. It's a brilliant cartridge and move by hornady imo as this is an extremely popular class more in the target/range worlds but does double duty on class 2 game really well.

For pure hunting though the 6.5 Grendel is going to be the better choice yet still bangs plenty long on the range when you want to play. You've got class 3 game potential as you're chucking more than 120 grains of lead with more than .25 sd. Something about sub 120 grains of lead for big game hunting doesn't work for me regardless of sd, so i was pretty excited about the Grendel when i first learned of it many moons ago. 98% of all game is killed inside 300 yards real world, and probably 95% under 200 yards.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either cartridge as they really will be close to each other, splitting hairs most of the time, more velocity with less weight vs the heavier slower option. The heavier slower option almost always gets the nod as the game size goes up, you get more from the powder burned, more efficient. Although both these cartridges at the top of efficiency in all cartridges imo, again...splitting hairs.

Grendel for hunting.
              Arc for combo target/class 2 game hunting.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Dont drink the kool aide. (At least not too much)

There is no replacement for displacement. No matter how small the Grendel will be superior on game animals. Enough to choose one over the other? Thats for you to decide. After all as mentioned, dead is dead.

What I will tell ya is Hornady makes money when they convince you to buy there product. No matter how many half and partial truths they spout.

They test the optimal ballistically enhanced bullet against a 123 SST and claim how much better it is.. BETTER HOW???

Clanging steel is near as much fun as ya can have dressed.... But means SQUAT to kill ability of a given caliber or bullet.

Flat tredjectory is also grand! Makes repeatable hits easier! But there is GOOD REASON they compair to calibers like the 308. Cause the 308 has been there and done that. Will and does continue to do that!

If ya like the 243 and want a AR to launch it. Whose better than you!! Buy the ARC and enjoy. But dont tell me your chopped down upstart is superior to a proven caliber. Cause ones "better" is anothers meh.

CW

Comment

• gldprimr
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2016

Comment

• Les
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2016

For many years I loaded a Hornady 87gr boattail SP in a .243 winchester bolt gun before I got into an AR platform. I wonder why they don't offer that in 6mm ARC? The 87 killed like lightning. Velocities are similar.
                    Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• WanderingZero
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jul 2016

I'm with you. Saw the results of .243/100 grain on a few deer a long time ago and was never too impressed. I know others have had different experiences and different opinions but it just takes a little more diameter and weight, combined with decent sectional density, for me to start to feel comfortable. 6.5mm and 120 grains is about the minimum for me to not worry about whether I've got enough bullet for the job I might need to do.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Les View Post
                        For many years I loaded a Hornady 87gr boattail SP in a .243 winchester bolt gun before I got into an AR platform. I wonder why they don't offer that in 6mm ARC? The 87 killed like lightning. Velocities are similar.
                        Hornady data has the 87 gr bullet (Vmax) for loads. The 87 SP would use the same data. 11 different powders, H4895 to CFE 223.
                        The OAL may differ however, so check your chamber and measurements with the chamber case-comparator.
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

By the way some of us are also experimenting/using the Sierra 90 gr TK bullets.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Texcl2
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X