• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Texcl2 View Post
    The one advantage to the 6mm for the reloader is bullet selection. In this environment or everything being out of stock this has become even more important. Also for those of us out west who hunt fur, there are better varmint bullets for the 6mm.
    I was in the Sportsman's Warehouse in Albany, Oregon a few days ago. Except primers and powder, they had everything you needed to load 6mm ARC; dies and brass and an assortment of 6mm bullets. I was a bit surprised.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Texcl2
      Warrior
      • Sep 2020

Comment

• adamkrog
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2019

Many more bullet options for 6mm vs 6.5mm? More available on the shelf? Or more on the market? I have a hard time believing there are many more available on the market, 6.5mm bullets seem very "in vogue" right now to me.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

you're splitting hairs between these two, they are running the two hottest calibers so bullet selection differences are moot, they run the same case, they run similar bc/sd, they mainly differ in bullet weight, even the front diameter difference is minimal, so it's like trying to pick fly sh@t out of pepper between these two...if you want another 150 yards effective range with a little longer mpbr over the grendel then get the arc and the expense of bullet weight and front area....lots of big game hunters will likely see that the extra 150 yards isn't necessary or worthwhile trade off for giving up that front area and heavier weight...as the grendel already holds good kill velocity to well past where almost any critter will get shot, if you're more predator calling, range plinking, p-doggin and the odd deer then the arc may be the better choice, but more big game work then the grendel is the better choice, that should cover it boys

Comment

• Fields_mj
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2019

All I can say is that my Grendel has been very effective on whitetail these past 2 seasons. I'm loading a 105 MKZ and getting excellent accuracy. I hit a decent doe (110 lb dressed) quartering towards me last month at just over 200 yds. Through the front shoulder, a rib or two, both lungs, and out the other side with what appeared to be good expansion. Either way, she went less than 50 yds. Same morning I took a bigger doe (140 lb dressed) at 80 yds with the same results). Very happy with this setup.

Comment

• Les
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              Hornady data has the 87 gr bullet (Vmax) for loads. The 87 SP would use the same data. 11 different powders, H4895 to CFE 223.
              The OAL may differ however, so check your chamber and measurements with the chamber case-comparator.
              What I loaded in .243 wasn't the 87 gr Vmax just the 87gr BTSP Just wondered what that bullet would look like in the 6mm ARC velocity wise. And no, I haven't done any research yet. Looks as if Hornady is promoting 103 gr bullets for this caliber.
              Things that make me go Hmmmm.
              Last edited by Les; 12-12-2020, 09:53 PM.
              Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Les
                Warrior
                • Oct 2016

All true, especially your last sentence.
                Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• SDguy
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2015

I am stocked up on everything needed for the Grendel except AR platform. Bolt action works fine I guess, more than fine actually. Lately everything is in short supply.. Lots of ways to get the job done & either of your options are very capable if the shooter is up to the task. Thinking next season now, I expect you can't go wrong with either you have all of the components for. Only need one good option & currently their is more choices in the more seasoned cartridge.

Think the component shortage is doing a lot more harm for the ARC release than anything.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

Grendel would be my choice. I have a buddy (retired police sniper so he can shoot) who had a shoulder replacement and now uses a .243 They've tracked his deer at least 200yds (up to 1/2 mile) with double lung shots each of the past 4 years using Nosler 90gr ABs. He's getting expansion and full penetration but it just doesn't seem to put them down quickly. Bucks ranged from 150-220 lbs so decent but not huge deer for Michigan whitetails. Why am I talking about .243? Because it pushes that bullet about 300fps faster than a 6mm ARC.

To each his own- shot placement is key. I have buddies in Alabama who hunt deer with 5.56mm ARs and Nosler 60gr. Partitions. They have TONS of deer (easily see 20-30 per day) and choose shots carefully. Any deer that isn't shot through the heart will get the shooter harassed by their partners. They take pictures to prove it.

Just my $.02

John

Comment

• tracker12
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

I like the sectional density of 6.5 over any 6mm
                      AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

• rickt300
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Grendel, I think sometimes bore diameter does make a difference. Have used the 243 and 6MM Remington on a good number of deer and the best killler for me has been the 95 gr. Ballistic Tips and the 87 gr. Hornady BTSP pushed to over 3000 fps. I didn't care for them as woods guns because I had to pass up too many shots due to poor angles. My Grendel this coming season will be loaded with 100 gr. Partitons pushed to 2700 fps. Testing to come.

Comment

• Fess
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by tracker12 View Post
                          I like the sectional density of 6.5 over any 6mm
                          What weight Grendel bullets do you use?
                          To provide some data, I ran some numbers for equivalent sectional density to the Hornady 6mm ARC rounds.
                          108gr 6mm = 127.5gr 6.5mm
                          103gr 6mm = 121.6gr 6.5mm

Both of those compare favorably to the 123grain Grendel loads for SD.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                            What weight Grendel bullets do you use?
                            To provide some data, I ran some numbers for equivalent sectional density to the Hornady 6mm ARC rounds.
                            108gr 6mm = 127.5gr 6.5mm
                            103gr 6mm = 121.6gr 6.5mm

Both of those compare favorably to the 123grain Grendel loads for SD.
                            So what's the sd number for those 2 6mm bullets? Curious what their listed sd number is.

My preferred hunting bullets in my grendels is the 120 gold dot and 129 ablr. Not sure what the sd is on them but I can find them, if you would like the numbers to compare to the sd numbers for the 2 6mm bullets you listed.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

The 6.5 Grendel SD according to available load data.

The Sectional Density for the 120 grain Gold Dot is .246
                              The Sectional Density for the 129 grain ABLR is .264
                              The Sectional Density for Hornady 120 grain GMX & 123 grain AMAX/SST is .246-.252
                              The Sectional Density for the Barnes 100 grain SST .205, 120 grain TSX/TTSX .246

For 6 MM ARC Hornady list Sectional Density for 80 grain GMX .194, 90 grain GMX .218, 95 grain SST .230, 100 grain Interlock BTSP .242
                              Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-21-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                                The 6.5 Grendel SD according to available load data.

The Sectional Density for the 120 grain Gold Dot is .246
                                The Sectional Density for the 129 grain ABLR is .264
                                The Sectional Density for Hornady 120 grain GMX & 123 grain AMAX/SST is .246-.252
                                The Sectional Density for the Barnes 100 grain SST .205, 120 grain TSX/TTSX .246

For 6 MM ARC Hornady list Sectional Density for 80 grain GMX .194, 90 grain GMX .218, 95 grain SST .230, 100 grain Interlock BTSP .242
                                Thank you sir.

So for the types of bullets I would choose for hunting. 6.5mm has a perrty good advantage in the sd department over 6mm.

I have given up on ballistic tip, hpbt and lead head type non bonded hunting bullets in favor of bonded and all copper hunting bullets.

Comment

Working...
                                X