• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
    Full auto Grendel on one side, Shrike on the other, I'll be on whichever gun you don't pick!
    The only problem there is that I only have one registered sear. The Grendel shorty is also registered SBR, so you could run it in semi, but that wouldn't be as fun. Semi would probably be more practical though. To shoot auto with a carbine I'd have to use short bursts to hit anything anyway. Otherwise at 50 yards (personally) I'd just be wasting ammo. If there was a way, like a lull or something, maybe we could switch halfway through?
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
      The only problem there is that I only have one registered sear. The Grendel shorty is also registered SBR, so you could run it in semi, but that wouldn't be as fun. Semi would probably be more practical though. To shoot auto with a carbine I'd have to use short bursts to hit anything anyway. Otherwise at 50 yards (personally) I'd just be wasting ammo. If there was a way, like a lull or something, maybe we could switch halfway through?

There was one guy in the group that had a FA M4. He realized quickly that using it to bring them down was a waste of ammo (if there is such a thing ). He did say that it was very effective for putting the coup de grace on them.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

OK, OK, I'll just shoot whichever one you don't want at the time....How's that?

I'm thinking that the Shrike should have the full auto sear, 5.56 is lots cheaper! How fast are barrel changes...LOL!!

Comment

• bertrunner

IM ready to go lets get this group started!!!! its just a short trip for me. best thing is i can do it even after my knee surgery. Flying is so much easier than walking after having your knee cut on

Comment

Oh man, I am totally envious. That's all kinds of bad ass.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              OK, OK, I'll just shoot whichever one you don't want at the time....How's that?

I'm thinking that the Shrike should have the full auto sear, 5.56 is lots cheaper! How fast are barrel changes...LOL!!
              Sounds good to me! I haven't shot the shrike much, so I'd have to give it a good shaking out to make sure it'd be 100%. Barrel changes are pretty quick. You lock the bolt back, depress the latch with one hand, and pull the barrel out with your other hand. A mitt would be recommended...LOL! I'm not sure a barrel swap would be necessary on an aerial platform though. Unless you just went wantonly free-gun, it should stay cool enough for realistic target engagements. Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity in the past to shoot at anything while airborne. I was always only cargo in the past.

It's too bad the helo doesn't have a pintle mount. Then things could get a lot more interesting with a beltfed!

Really the more I think about it --while the shrike would be fun-- hosing 5.56 rounds free handed from a moving platform at moving targets would probably be less effective than aimed semi shots with a Grendel carbine. Don't get me wrong, it would be hella cool (LOL!!!), but the Grendel carbine guy with at least semi aimed fire would likely score far better.

If we wanted to actually kill pigs instead of maiming them I could also bring my 14.5" rig?

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                There was one guy in the group that had a FA M4. He realized quickly that using it to bring them down was a waste of ammo (if there is such a thing ). He did say that it was very effective for putting the coup de grace on them.
                Yeah, I think that is spot on. It would take someone far better than me to make those kinda hits. It isn't very realistic actually to even expect that kind of performance. A burst at a vertical two legged torso at fifteen yards while you're in a hurry would be far different than one fired at a horizontal torso at fifty yards.LOL

ETA: The Texas hearing on suppressor use for hunting is scheduled for the end of this month right? If they give it the nod, I wonder when it would take affect. Any educated guesses?
                Last edited by Variable; 03-06-2012, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I do think that a properly trained gunner behind a pinnel mounted belt fed would be devastating to the little piggies. I was a machine gunner in the Marine Corps and while we didn't do any aerial gunning, we did do quite a bit of it from a moving humvee. The boots would spray and pray but a experienced gunned could get a surprising amount of rounds on target. I would love to be behind a 240 chasing those bastards.

The final hearings are scheduled for the 28th-29th of this month. If it passes I'm not sure when it takes effect. I've heard immediately and at the start of next season. You may already know this but suppressors are already good to go on hogs and other non-game animals. The proposed change only effects game animals such as deer, alligators, squirrels, javalina, etc. Basically anything that currently has a regulated season.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

Tracers will help the shooter understand leads and holdovers. Problem is that they may not light quick enough to help with targets at 25 - 50 yards.

Leads in mil:
                    • 10 mph -- 6
                    • 50 mph -- 30
                    • 100 mph -- 60

So the lead is a bit over half of the airspeed in mph. Add 15% if your pilot reports airspeed in knots.

The good news is that the pilot can usually hold a pretty constant airspeed and the shooter is generally on a particular side of the bird for a session, making it possible to work the lead out.

BTW if my math is right, 60 mil is about 1.2" at the end of a 20" sight radius. Also the hog's running speed and direction will complicate matters.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                      I do think that a properly trained gunner behind a pinnel mounted belt fed would be devastating to the little piggies. I was a machine gunner in the Marine Corps and while we didn't do any aerial gunning, we did do quite a bit of it from a moving humvee. The boots would spray and pray but a experienced gunned could get a surprising amount of rounds on target. I would love to be behind a 240 chasing those bastards.
                      Me too! I was decent on the '60 as an SP, and shot and instructed as CATM, but never any aerial gunnery either.

The final hearings are scheduled for the 28th-29th of this month. If it passes I'm not sure when it takes effect. I've heard immediately and at the start of next season. You may already know this but suppressors are already good to go on hogs and other non-game animals. The proposed change only effects game animals such as deer, alligators, squirrels, javalina, etc. Basically anything that currently has a regulated season.
                      No, I didn't know that. I really know nothing of Texas game laws, but I guess I'm going to need to learn.LOL

To pull this off I'll have to drive down and split the expenses with a cohort. I've already told him about this and forwarded the links. He seems on board so far, and was pretty wound up (like me!) about the thought of doing it. The biggest obstacle (besides taking leave and setting back the hard to part with cash) will be clearing this one through the wife. I'm going to have to play this one very carefully to be able to do it and have a harmonious outcome on the homefeont....

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                        Tracers will help the shooter understand leads and holdovers. Problem is that they may not light quick enough to help with targets at 25 - 50 yards.

Leads in mil:
                        • 10 mph -- 6
                        • 50 mph -- 30
                        • 100 mph -- 60

So the lead is a bit over half of the airspeed in mph. Add 15% if your pilot reports airspeed in knots.

The good news is that the pilot can usually hold a pretty constant airspeed and the shooter is generally on a particular side of the bird for a session, making it possible to work the lead out.

BTW if my math is right, 60 mil is about 1.2" at the end of a 20" sight radius. Also the hog's running speed and direction will complicate matters.
                        I'd love to have some affordable Grendel tracer. I tried sourcing some 6.5 swede tracer ammo before so I could pull the bullets, but no joy. I guess I'll search again tonight.

Comment

This is going on my bucket list.

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

No, I didn't know that. I really know nothing of Texas game laws, but I guess I'm going to need to learn.LOL

To pull this off I'll have to drive down and split the expenses with a cohort. I've already told him about this and forwarded the links. He seems on board so far, and was pretty wound up (like me!) about the thought of doing it. The biggest obstacle (besides taking leave and setting back the hard to part with cash) will be clearing this one through the wife. I'm going to have to play this one very carefully to be able to do it and have a harmonious outcome on the homefeont....

Competely understand. It took some skilful conniving and bribery to get the green light on this trip. I'll have to pull out the big guns for the next one.

Comment

Maybe someone will make a movie for you if you can't come TX.

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Well, I ran it by the wife yesterday, and she didn't seem to mind. She didn't even react much at all. I'm thinking it's a trap perhaps?LOL!

Guns, ammo, and magazines are covered, but I'll have to figure out what else me and my buddy will need.

I'm presuming helmet cams will be mandatory for starters. I'm thinking about ones from Contour so far, but I'll look around more before I order any.

We'll also need type 157 licenses I guess, and it looks like we can order those online.

Comment

Working...
                                X