• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    So what's first to go on the equipment exchange?
    That's so wrong! LOL!

If I were closer I'd lend a hand. I've been "in the business" so to speak all my life. I'm a superintendent/ project manager for a general contractor now. If you can swing it, quality metal is worth it. Especially if you plan to be in that house or a while.
    Last edited by txgunner00; 03-27-2012, 05:10 PM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I always thought gorilla glue and a bunch of GI Ponchos would do a nice job of keeping the rain out. What I really want to build with is this:

These structures were tested to Kommiefornia's earthquake standards by San Bernadino County Engineers. Their test equipment was destroyed in the process, while the SuperAdobe didn't budge an inch. It's very cheap too, with better thermal insulation than anything I've seen.

Comment

• LightningII

Originally posted by Variable View Post
        Mine are just regular shingles (I'm not at all construction savvy), not the wooden ones. They are some kind of asphalt stuff. I've been reading a little bit ont he net about roofing, and they seem to warn about really long term shingle warranties. It seems the insurance companies are saying that shingles really only average out about 17 years on the typical house. It seems there are some class action lawsuits against some companies with big longevity promises. My house is 15 years old and they are pretty well toast after I actually went up there and looked at them. I know metal roofing is probably best, but I probably won't be able to afford that. I'll just have to see what kind of estimates I get and do the math from there. Home ownership really sucks sometimes!
        metal roofing is pricey, but your insurance agent will likely give you a break because of fire and hail coverage. The metal roof also lasts about 50 years, so you won't be replacing it unless a tornado rips it off. take a hard look at your $$ investment against the savings over time. i've seen some metal roofs recently that look like conventional shingles, too.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

LRRPF, that makes 3 of us! (I know Variable has been looking at them too!)

For most Americans going to see a movie is no big deal! But what if you had to leave the country to do it? And what if you had to make sure you had valid, picture ID with you so you could re-enter the US? Believe it or not, that’s exactly what going to a movie entails for Dianne and Bryan Bremner, two sixty-something retirees who built a Monolithic Dome home in Republic, Washington, 25 miles south of a border crossing into Canada.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            LRRPF, that makes 3 of us! (I know Variable has been looking at them too!)

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/curlew-keep
            Yes! Check out Monolithic domes and posts by "1_BIG_BUNKER" over on Arfcom's survival forum.

Especially this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/6...ig_bunker.html

Some recent discussion here as well: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/6...ker_Build.html
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
              We went with lightweight concrete shingles -- in 1986 -- they are still there. The two leaks appear to have been the result of a 300+ lb plumber installing a rooftop solar water heater and the second the roofing contractor either neglected to mortar a ridgeline joint or the stuff fell out.

Almost any fireproof shingle will be heavier than the asphalt or wooden types, but well worth the effort if your house can handle the weight.
              I'd have to read up about those to even comment.LOL. I'm about as ignorant as they come about roofing.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                Sorry to hear that my friend! I too, have a "too steep to do it yourself" roof. 9-10 years ago we had a severe wind storm, and lost about 25% of the shingles which had been in place for less than 10 years on new construction, and the insurance company covered replacement minus a couple hundred bucks. We attempted bids from 5 companies, but only two were willing to do it, one of which specialized in steep pitch roofs. We actually went with them, and they did a great job. We haven't lost a shingle since, even in some 60-70 MPH storms.

We just had a new front porch added and I had the contractor check the job done back then. He was pretty happy with the shingles in place, and even decided to go with the same brand to use on the porch extension. He thought they should be good for another 10-15 years on our roof. That's fine by me!
                Maybe a wind storm will blow mine off! Send me some wind!

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LightningII View Post
                  metal roofing is pricey, but your insurance agent will likely give you a break because of fire and hail coverage. The metal roof also lasts about 50 years, so you won't be replacing it unless a tornado rips it off. take a hard look at your $$ investment against the savings over time. i've seen some metal roofs recently that look like conventional shingles, too.
                  Yes, if I can at all afford it, metal would probably be best.

Comment

My next roof will be metal, even if I have to sell some guns or maybe a kidney to afford it.

Comment

You were ahead of your time, look what Ted has discovered>>>>> http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/video...+National+Elk+

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

That's awesome! Can't wait to go again.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

We just need helo-mounted mini-guns from Dillon to make it fair for mankind's struggle against these mischevious beasts.

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            We just need helo-mounted mini-guns from Dillon to make it fair for mankind's struggle against these mischevious beasts.
                            There's a member from TX that recently joined here that was trying to make that happen at one time. He did go up in a Huey with a M60 earlier this year.

Comment

Working...
                            X