X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MISportsman
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2020

You dropped a moose with the hornady black? I'm impressed! It sounds like for what I'm hunting I should stick with the blacks that I know shoot well in my gun and save the fusions for my next pig hunt. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• RANGER
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

I use SST for Hogs/Yotes as I don't care if I ruin meat.

I just got a few boxes of 115gr Vor-TX to try out to see how they do. The all copper bullet should help keep meat waste to a minimum.

Comment

• Owyhee H
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2018

I have found that at Grendel velocities the SST does not "blow up" and is not bad for meat damage. Obviously there are lead concerns but it opens much more slowly and penetrates well indicating that it is not shedding all of its weight violently and spreading lead like a higher velocity round will.

Comment

• myrifle
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

I have yet to meet a animal inside 200 yards that the 120 gold dot wont kill in less then 20 yards from shot impact.

90% are more of my shots being a bang flop when placed in the high shoulder. Only time they run is when I get sloppy and hit a bit low. Then they tend to plow dirt for 10 seconds and 20 yards and die.

Comment

• buckpasser
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2019

Comment

• Deerm@n75
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2021

I've killed 5 hogs (all over 125# live weight) with the 123 gr SST Hornady factory loads. All shots were 100 yds or less. 3 were DRT, but the other 2 left good, short blood trails. I just got some Barnes 115gr Tac TX to try out.

Comment

• MISportsman
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2020

I ended up using the hornady black this year because I know it shoots well in my gun and it has been the easiest to find. So far so good! I shot a nice doe sat morning at about 130yds! It was a neck shot and all she did is turn around and flop over

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by MISportsman View Post
                  I ended up using the hornady black this year because I know it shoots well in my gun and it has been the easiest to find. So far so good! I shot a nice doe sat morning at about 130yds! It was a neck shot and all she did is turn around and flop over
                  I'm at 10 head of big game with Hornady Black now, average shot distance 213 yards, average recovered distance 12 yards. I dropped a fat Alberta Whitetail Doe at 420 yards this year quartering away in through middle of ribs and out through inside of opposite front shoulder with 1.5" exit and 15" penetration and everything above the heart destroyed. We have 1 moose, 1 black bear, 1 bighorn sheep, 5 bucks (1 mule deer, 4 whitetail) and 2 Whitetail Does. Six of those kills, including the 420 yard Whitetail Doe, from a 16.1" Ruger American Ranch barrel at 2386 fps launch and the 420 yard Doe had an 1800 fps impact. Very tough to beat that performance imo. No mono-metal will come close to replicating that 420 yard performance in a Grendel. The 123gr ELD-M is what maximizes this cartridges potential and it's wonderful that you can buy it in factory ammo that shoots so well. I see zero reason to reload unless it's just something you want to do and enjoy doing.
                  Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-20-2021, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• MISportsman
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2020

From what you have done with it and what I've seen with my own hunt, I see no reason to change now!

Comment

• usmc0352
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2020

I get excellent accuracy out of the 123 gr sst factory and handloads.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BVickery1974 View Post
                        Saw that, was interested but in some cases it being almost $5/rnd, I'd have to pass, though the NOsler prices were not THAT bad ($2.60/rnd).
                        One thing with the PF ammo is that they come in 50rd boxes.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Fodderwing
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2022

I have shot deer with SST's launched from a .280 rem, a .308 Win and a 7.62x39, all factory Hornady ammo, no more meat damage than I have seen from deer killed with CoreLokts, Fusions, Accubonds or any other bullet designed for big game.

The only SST I recovered was the .280 slug. I shot that 175 pound buck in the right shoulder, bullet was lodged under the skin on the left shoulder, buck reared up on his hind leg, turned left and tried to run, but merely nose-dived into the ground traveling 8 or 10 yards. Bullet mushroomed perfectly, weight excellent mass retention.

Punch 'em in the ribs and no meat of concern is lost. I don't fret much about shoulder meat either if that is the best shot presented. Don't mess up them hams and/or 'staps and it is all good for me.

Comment

• Two Tone
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2022

Wrong thread.
                            Last edited by Two Tone; 06-22-2022, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• CJW
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X