X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

It would be nice to see some performance tests on the 100 gr Nosler partions.
    I think those are in the works, but I am at the mercy of the benevolence of several folks who are making this happen. Dinny got the bullets (and sometimes other stuff), not to leave out his orchestration of all this. Starline provides the brass. Druid Hill Armory provides the load development time, powder, and labor. It isn't like anybody has lots of extra supplies on hand right now. I am very lucky to have all these people pooling resources to help make the testing possible.

I, too, am looking forward to seeing how they perform.

------

Goochylogic, you are quite welcome. Glad you found the insights useful.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Dinny
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

I'm keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed hoping some good powder arrives in Dixon, MO soon. It also takes some decent weather to shoot and develop loads. Let's all hope for a dry warm front to push through the Midwest soon.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• myrifle
        Warrior
        • Nov 2015

Great vid as always DNS.

I'm stuck on the 120 gold dots as my go to hog bullet. Well honestly it's my go to bullet for all my needs really.

Cant remember If you had tryed them out are not before ( have to go check out your vid list). Bur my bullet performance needs are a bit diffrent then yours. Generally the first few shots are the shots I'm trying to lay them down for their meat. After that i dont care where the bullet lands, as long as it lands and does enough damage to kill them.

Anyways great vids as always bro.

A5 out.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

I have tried them. The Gold Dots performed pretty much exactly as expected/advertised - solid performance. If I was a meat hunter, I would likely be using them as well.

Comment

• Rodedawgg
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2022

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
            I have tried them. The Gold Dots performed pretty much exactly as expected/advertised - solid performance. If I was a meat hunter, I would likely be using them as well.
            What would be your top 5 meat-hunting bullets? When I get up to speed for hunting, hogs (in daylight) will likely be my main thing. I eat lots of pork, and I get to tell the PETA people that I'm helping the environment . I won't be using an AR-platform, but a single-shot T/C Encore, so I don't get any follow ups: first shot is the only shot. I'd only ask for your favorite, but with all the shortages, a range of options seems a good plan. Would the Gold Dots and 129 SSTs be in that top 5 for meat hunters?

Thanks!

Comment

• TedBrewer5
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

Rodedawgg,
              Sierra 120 gr pro hunter for my 6.5
              Sierra 150/180 gr game king for 30 cal
              Midway has a good selection of 30 cal hunting bullets in stock.mostly Speer.
              Not sure what cal you are looking for for your TC

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Rodedawgg View Post
                What would be your top 5 meat-hunting bullets? When I get up to speed for hunting, hogs (in daylight) will likely be my main thing. I eat lots of pork, and I get to tell the PETA people that I'm helping the environment . I won't be using an AR-platform, but a single-shot T/C Encore, so I don't get any follow ups: first shot is the only shot. I'd only ask for your favorite, but with all the shortages, a range of options seems a good plan. Would the Gold Dots and 129 SSTs be in that top 5 for meat hunters?

Thanks!
                I don't have top 5 meat-hunting bullets, primarily because I am not a meat hunter. Gold Dot 120s and SST 129s would probably right up there with Maker Rex 110 gr. bullets if I wanted all copper. I would not pick a Partition bullet because you are most likely sacrificing the front portion of the bullet into polluting the meat. Honestly, what is not to like about Gold Dots? They expand well as a soft point and they retain a lot of weight as well. IIRC, the bond Gold Dots retained about 95% of their weight...which is nearly the polar opposite of the Speer TNT 90 gr bullets I like that frequently lose something like 80-90% of their weight via fragmentation.

Comment

• DaveSC
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2022

Out of curiosity...have you tried the steel cased Wolf 100 grain on the hogs?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Take a look at this thread.

After last night, I am a little less enamored with the Wolf ammo. It is plenty accurate and still literally stinks to high heavens, and while the first hog went down as expected, the 2nd hog could still be alive today. I probably over explained in the video, but reliance on the temporary wound cavity (aka the massively

Here is a link to the google custom search for the 6.5 Grendel forum.

Comment

• DaveSC
                      Unwashed
                      • Feb 2022

Thanks Vascar. I read those links. Good information. Tells me to use the Wolf for mainly targets and steel.

Comment

Working...
                      X