• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
    +1 on Aimpoint.

The low power usage on the newer models are fantastic with battery life, especially when compared to EOTechs. I have four Aimpoints going back the the original 7MOA-dot 'Comp'. Also have a PRO, which if I remember rightly was priced for smaller disciplined bodies like Police, who do not have the budgets national militaries do.

Great for less than 50M, but I would not recommend them if there's any chance your quarry will be greater than 100.
    Klem:

I saw hundreds of Joes taking down the 300 meter target with the M-68 sights. I have pushed mine to 500 yards without a lot of problems but that was smoke and mirrors to a large extent. I knew the target size, put it at 500 yards plus or minus a couple of yards, painted the target black and the background was snow. Gave a little white off the top of the head and blasted. I could do OK in winds up to using a full hold but after that things got dodgy.

I would not hesitate to hunt with one out to 200 yards. 300? Probably, but a bunch of factors have to be in my favor. One thing shooting stationary targets in somewhat ideal conditions. Another to go after something like a bunch of feral hogs in dense foliage and nasty terrain.

Aimpoint has been around longer than any other dot sight company I know of. Occluded eye sights used in Son Tay raid. Real test for me was using them in high desert covered with snow and in bright sunlight. Dot did not wash out, held zero, easy to manipulate wearing gloves. Rain / snow mix many times. Only time I thought having flip up covers was of value. Another test was taking them into a warm room after hours in sleet. Never had one fog up internally.

Use C Mores and Razors on my competition handguns and my PCC though. Just different demands and conditions.

LR-55

Comment

• Jake TN
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2019

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Aim point micro 2MOA are my favorite, but the Holosun HS-403B 2MOA have held up fine with many of my recreational rifles.. Red dot sights will work for any range you are comfortable shooting an open sight, but with a better low light capability..The advantage of any red dot sight is how quick they can be employed compared to any magnified scope or open sight..A perfect whitetail sight in heavy brush and timber..

Last edited by montana; 12-15-2022, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Old Bob
          Warrior
          • Oct 2019

I also have an Aimpoint Comp-M2 on an AR carbine. It's zeroed at 50yds but I have no problems hitting steel out to 200M. I have a Vortex Strikefire II on an AR .22LR conversion. It's likewise zeroed at 50yds. This is a new gun. Haven't shot it beyond its zero yet, but from those zeroing targets, it oughta do well out past 100yds. I'm pleased with both of these red dot sights. They have nice, sharp dots at mid-range brightness settings.
          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

just grabbed a holosun 507c green and couple red 407c's for our 'fun guns', auto-loading rimfires, plinking and small game fun, the solar feature was mandatory, we don't need shake awake so keep on manual mode, probably never will need a battery as they will function without one, we aren't allowed to shoot in dark, really happy with them so far, they mount nice and low on the rail bases I ordered with them which suit factory rimfire rifles, 2 moa dots on all, didn't really need the 507c which gives 3 reticle options, 407c the way to fly for saving a few bucks, both green and red are nice, holosun has some great stuff, they even have one without a battery now, a capacitor that the solar charges, it's super compact, very cool stuff, I'm sort of hoping they apply that to a rifle scope to compete against the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40's I love...

my rimfire is .17 hmr and it will easily handle coyote calling to 150 yards with that 2 moa dot, it only covers 2" at 100 yards, 3" at 150, 4" at 200, in theory you could set up a 4" mpbz on about anything and roll it way further than most would think for no magnification
            Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-20-2022, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X