Narrowing down bullet choice for Deer/Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the Hornady 129gr Interbond, I see that it's a bit shorter bullet than the 129gr SST. That means more case capacity and less bearing surface-looks more like a 120gr AMAX. Anybody pushed the 129gr IB hard?

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Well, Tools has tried the 129 I.B.. ( I made some up at 110-115 gr.- A 110-It's 1/32 less in length than a 120 nos. BT., but with a longer tail- to reduce bearing surface.) He has those now to test., Bill A. mentioned to me that the 105-115 grn. units are best for the Grendel. The 110 IB can reach 2700 with IMR 8208., from a 20"bbl. I like this bullet-this wt. It's cool. Less lead lost, than the Accubond.,, or probably any other lead core unit.

Comment

I would choose which ever bullet was more accurate in my rifle. That being said, I like cheap heaver bullets as apposed to light expensive ones. I have foud that 129gr SSTs and 129gr Spire points can be very accurate and put game down. For an elk load I would add the 130gr swift siccoro to the list.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Sounds good hm2-yet most hunters rarely shoot more than a couple at game.,, only a few at targets-all year long.

Comment

120 gr TTSX No question.

Comment

The Barnes 120gr ttsx is what I choose for elk. It worked well. 200 yrd shot and it went 10 yrds give or take a little. Its what I will use again for elk if I hunt with a rifle. Die hard archery hunter for elk!

Comment

• Glockzilla

Let's not forget the 120 Speer Hot Core

Comment

I voted for the Nosler Partition just because I've killed far more game with it than with the Barnes but they are both good choices. One of my sons brought his 6.5x55 with him on a trip to Africa a few years ago. He was shooting the 120 grain Barnes at about 2,500 fps. He shot 17 head of game and all were one shot kills. However, I will say that at the longer ranges, >400 yards they acted much like solids, still killed well, but you would see a dust cloud kick up behind the animal that looked like it had barely slowed the bullet down. Often you would hear a long whine of a ricochet too. Some times the animals would run 20 yards or so but were down in seconds and easy to recover.
                  Bob

Comment

I agree with the previous advice on shooting elk with a 6.5 (and anything else under a .338); lung-shoot them and 'let the air out.' I would also add that after you do that, look at your watch, sit down and take it easy for at least 20 minutes. If you immediately charge in after it that elk might go for miles. If you wait, you'll find it went to the first available cover, probably with a water source, then laid down and died. Less meat damage that way, also.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2012

I would use tsx over the sst. I love Hornady products, and would trust my life to them ( home grown Nebraska company). I have shot several deer and speed goats with both of them. I found the sst have not expanded at high velocities(2800fps+) on thin skin game. I had several shots under 100 yds. that made a small clean hole in and out. The tsx have never failed to drop an animal in its tracks for me. Most notable was a 100ish yrd shot with a 223 in the chest of a yote that took off the rear leg on exit.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CPT.CRAZY View Post
                        I would use tsx over the sst. I love Hornady products, and would trust my life to them ( home grown Nebraska company). I have shot several deer and speed goats with both of them. I found the sst have not expanded at high velocities(2800fps+) on thin skin game. I had several shots under 100 yds. that made a small clean hole in and out. The tsx have never failed to drop an animal in its tracks for me. Most notable was a 100ish yrd shot with a 223 in the chest of a yote that took off the rear leg on exit.
                        We know the Grendel will not be pushing an SST at anywhere near 2800fps. Does anyone have experience pushing .264" 129gr SST's through game? With Grendel velocities, we're looking at impact velocities on target in no faster than 2450fps, with most in the 2300fps or slower range. What type of expansion can be expected with that is what I'm wondering?

I just re-read this thread, and saw the experience with the 129gr SST on page 2 that tx4guns had:

I shot a doe with my SST load in the target on Page 1 last year. She was quartering towards me, and it went in at the front of the near ribcage, jellied her lungs, and exited the rearward ribs on the far side. That's almost 2 feet of penetration. It hit bone going in and bone coming out and left about a 3" hole on the exit wound. I'll shoot the next one a bit lower so I get a better blood trail, but she only ran 50 yards and piled up in an open field. I have no doubts that the SST will put a big bull elk down with a proper neck or vitals shot. Stay away from the shoulder shot. Double lungs and he's gonna die quick.
                        One of the bullets that's really piquing my interest for heavier game use is the Swift 130gr Scirocco with its .571 BC. Anybody punched critters with this yet?
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

A Hornady tech told me that .264 129gr SSTs are designed to expand at impacts of 1200fps and up. Interbonds are designed for 1500fps and up.

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            One of the bullets that's really piquing my interest for heavier game use is the Swift 130gr Scirocco with its .571 BC. Anybody punched critters with this yet?
                            I have not used that particular bullet yet but have used them in .223, 30-06 and .300 RUM. They are an outstanding bullet for hunting. The 75 gr .223 is the only bullet that's given me consistent pass thrus on large hogs. The jacket is constructed of pure copper, not gilding metal like most bullets. This improves terminal performance and weight retention but makes them a little trickier to get tight groups on paper. I have found they like a little more jump than most bullets.
                            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I have had nothing but good results from the BARNES. I haven't done anything with them in the GRENDEL yet, but they are fantastic in my .270 WSM!

Comment

Working...
                              X