X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Last week the US Army announced it had down selected three companies to supply prototypes for their Next Generation Squad Weapon program - to provide the Army's next rifle (NGSW-R) and squad automatic weapon or automatic rifle (NGSW-AR). They have released the first photographs of the SIG NGSW prototype

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

More SIG NGSW pics

The belt container for the LMG is rather small capacity. It looks like it holds maybe 30 rounds.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

True Velocity 6.8 NGSW Cartridge

GARLAND, TX – True Velocity composite-cased ammunition has been selected for the U.S. Army’s Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) modernization program. True ...

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Very interesting, Stan. However, the description of the cartridge largely reads like the advertisement for any other ammo, lots of fluff and not much substance. I wonder how much is actually real and what they are hiding, LOL.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
            Very interesting, Stan. However, the description of the cartridge largely reads like the advertisement for any other ammo, lots of fluff and not much substance.
            I agree. And the first sentence of the article makes it sound like the TV round was selected for adoption. I linked to it just to properly credit the source of the photo.

I wonder how much is actually real and what they are hiding, LOL.
            Ha! And some people think that I'm cynical...

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

SIG NGSW-AR Ammo Pouch

"Available in 50, 100, or 200 round capacity..." http://soldiersystems.net/2019/09/10...ammo-soft-bag/

Last edited by stanc; 09-11-2019, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Textron NGSW Prototypes

NGSW-R

NGSW-AR (Note that Textron, like SIG Sauer, has opted to make a belt-fed machine gun, instead of a mag-fed automatic rifle.)

Comment

• hill37
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

The Sig ammo looks a whole lot like the Shell Shock Tech 9mm case. Shell Shock seems to have dropped it's rifle case development.

Comment

• Fess
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2019

I am surprised that none of the contenders used steel for the upper section of their cartridges. It is possible that Sig did work with Shell Shock behind the scenes, but one of the Shell Shocks important marketing points is the increased capacity from its steel walls. I read somewhere that the reason that we have not heard from Shell Shock for a while is that they decided to move their plant to another location and it has taken a while to get backup and running. It was poor timing if that is what caused them to miss out on this contract.

This TFB article has more pics:https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...squad-weapons/

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Very interesting, Stan. However, the description of the cartridge largely reads like the advertisement for any other ammo, lots of fluff and not much substance. I wonder how much is actually real and what they are hiding, LOL.
                      It's all real. Some of the earlier attempts at hybrid metallic/polymer cases were abject failures resulting in case head separations, side wall fractures, dislodged projectiles, and blown primers.

There are at least 3 different approaches going on with 6.8 NGSW as mentioned in the down-select.

The new True Velocity cartridge configuration basically fits the form factor of 7.62 NATO, with with substantially reduced weight and substantially-increased working pressure pushing a .277" EPR. The bullets they're showing may or may not be the specified projectile that the Army "nailed down". The Army has changed the projectile weight and shape at least 3 times already.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Looks like they might have driving bands on the projectiles, which will reduce barrel friction and heat.

If someone could scale the image with the bands = .277", you should be able to get a good estimate of COL and case width at the base and shoulder to see if it will fit existing 7.62 NATO mags.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          Looks like they might have driving bands on the projectiles, which will reduce barrel friction and heat.

If someone could scale the image with the bands = .277", you should be able to get a good estimate of COL and case width at the base and shoulder to see if it will fit existing 7.62 NATO mags.
                          With my graphics program I get an overall length of ~2.799". There is a slight angular offset as you can see by the base, but the closest I can figure it's this. Casing width estimates at 0.4665" about midway up the casing.

edit: the casing measures pretty much straight wall.
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

It's designed to fit within standard 7.62x51 COAL, so ~2.8 sounds right.

I think the whole concept is fundamentally flawed in terms of "stowed kills" — or whatever metric they're using these days. The fact that they keep changing metrics just tells me they don't know what they want. Not quite gonna say they don't know what they're doing, but I might....

If you're willing to go to high-pressure cartridges like the new 6.8x51, then do a 40mm Grendel case in 6.5mm or .25 cal. with a 2.300 COAL and set the MAP to 65,000 psi with a new bolt head. AP capability is a matter of hardened steel or tungsten projectiles with a hybrid VLD shape and weighing about 100 grains. Slightly longer case capacity and higher pressure should address velocity concerns.
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• stanc
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                              I think the whole concept is fundamentally flawed in terms of "stowed kills" ? or whatever metric they're using these days. The fact that they keep changing metrics just tells me they don't know what they want.
                              The fact that they are adapting to a change in the perceived threat of possible future conflicts -- instead of just preparing to fight the last war -- demonstrates admirable mental flexibility to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X