PDW trunk gun quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the quietest rigs I have heard is an AK with a BR Tuote suppressor. Even from the ejection port side, I was surprised at how quiet it is. Listening to 5.56 and 7.62 NATO or 7.62x39 suppressed all in the same range session clearly leaves 5.56 as the more offensive of the three. I'll bet that the Grendel with it's lower pressures and larger bore diameter would exhibit a milder muzzle report when suppressed.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

The velocity "crack" of 5.56 is noticeably more audible to people than larger calibers. I think that sound falls in the range that humans seem to pick up on more readily.

To me it has two components...There is a sound pressure wave that you feel, and one that you hear. 5.56 has almost NO felt sound pressure, while the audible signature is very distinctive. I shot a match Saturday, and I could easily differentiate the .308 rounds I was pulling from the 5.56 rounds on the target next to me, and it wasn't because of where I was. I was actually pulling and marking my target, plus a .300 WinMag target between my .308 and the .223, so I was standing in the middle by the .300 WinMag target with my target to my left and the 5.56 to my right. It was easy to hear which was 5.56 and which .308. (The guy shooting the .300 WinMag was regularly giving us a dirt shower shooting into the berm above us, and his rounds were tumbling at 600, causing the "bumblebee" sound. There was something definitely wrong with his rifle.)

Comment

Bill,

That made a lot more sense when I figured out that you were describing the sound and pressure wave effects on the receiving end down in the target pit.

Comment

I've been so tied up building other than 5.56 that I guess I should put one together just for the above reasons. I've got my Scout Squad 308 so I'm good if the zombies strike before I can put a 5.56 together!!

Comment

Did you guys see this? This actually may make me forget doing a Mini and keep the AR continuity, since I already have plenty of mags. I actually bookmarked these guys today, which I don't usually do with AR builders.

Loki PDW.jpg

Jwilson1985, we need to be hearing more from you. Imagine a can on this and it nestled nicely behind your passenger seat...mmm mmm mmm

Comment

There is no audible crack if you're hit with the first shot in an effective place, with any of the above.

--fanofflyn

Comment

It's more like a ziiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIPPPP

We need to see some videos of that GAT carbine in action. Jwilson....

Comment

• jwilson1985

ya the gat stock which erik the ceo and owner came up with is really awesome that stock will fully extend out and collapse against the reciver if u have a rifle with a 16" barrel it would be the same length as a 10.5" sbr with the stock collapsed it comes with a different buffer and tube but still uses the stock bcg
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• jwilson1985

i will see if i cant get some for ya ...if you look in the background of the pic i posted up with the shot receiver u can see it behind it

Comment

I have some vehicle Immediate Action Drills for shooting 360 degrees from within the car, whether you are the driver, passenger, or rear passengers. You are most vulnerable from the rear blind spots, so I have worked out some shooting positions and drills going from a normal seated posture, to being able to engage targets from any aspect from within the car. I would love to do some drills with that system...it's perfect for the car. I would probably run it with heavier projectiles for good reliability with the short dwell time, unless using a can. A reflex can from under a mid-length tube will look like an MP5SDA3 with that stock. Daddy likes it...Put a Micro RDS on top, and we're GTG.

Comment

• jwilson1985

thats what its for :-) and yes mp5ish lol though my sack hasent dropped enough to put it on the beowulf lol

Comment

That would be so fun to hand to an unsuspecting shooter at the range with one round of Beo only...Some guys enjoy handing a 5.56 mag to folks trying out their Beo's, and watching the look on their face as they hit the bolt catch and watch the entire cartridge fly out the muzzle downrange... he he he! Maybe put a recoil spring on the stock itself for the Beo...

I volunteer to do the video. I'm a recoil-insensitive shooter...I thought .270 Winchester out of a Featherweight was a plinking cartridge as a kid.

Comment

• jwilson1985

ya i hear ya my first rifle was a 300 win mag

Comment

Me too!

Ever use a .378 for rabbit hunting? Hitting a running rabbit at 100 yards was an interesting experience.

It is one of the reasons I can comfortably say that I do not need to routinely shoot the big ones! I could shoot that sucker from a bench, but the lightweight barrel made getting 3-inch groups at 100 yards a real challenge. I got a .222 Magnum about the time I went on active duty -- and may have shot the big one once or twice after that.

At another time, I learned that most of our southwestern cuisine of the late '60's was mild compared to that of Northern Thailand. The experiences helped me learn that there is always someone who has a rougher time or is meaner and badder or both

Comment

• jwilson1985

here ya go...

Comment

Working...
                                X