X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Red dot sight is a Sig Sauer Romeo 5XDR with a dot-in-circle reticle. What I like is it has Instant On when moved and Auto Shutoff if not moved for 90 seconds. Also like the battery compartment built into the stand; makes the whole thing clean and compact and helps the housing become a blurred ghost ring when focusing on the reticle. I'm sure I got it on sale, but I got it HERE.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• 41bear
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

One thing I've added is a laser, love my CT 201
      "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• shooter545
        Warrior
        • Aug 2012

Good looking gun. I like that it is clean, smooth and slick. Big fan of red dots for close in work. I read your comments about the suppressor and I would encourage you to go that route although it is a lengthy process. Once you start shooting suppressed your will be spoiled. I try to shoot suppressed almost exclusively anymore, especially when hunting.

Looking forward to the range report.

Comment

• PNWTargets
          Warrior
          • Dec 2019

Home defense is where it is at. 99 percent of my stuff is set up for home defense. I would recommend having electronic hearing protection available in the house.

Comment

• rumaco19
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2019

Ya, I was wondering the same thing. I use a 10mm Glock.......but!

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

I'm building almost the exact copy of your setup here, BFT. I will be suppressed, and using AAC for it though. 220gr subs, suppressed, is really something. No flash, very little noise, and hits like Mike Tyson in a rage. A WML is all I lack. Just got an MRO for less than 250, from here no less. Fortunate son.

I've had my 12.7 group buy Grendel inside now for quite a while, suppressor on. It's doing triple duty as a range toy, HD, and hunting rig. The longer ones now sit, almost completely. Good choice my friend.
              Untitled by ., on Flickr
              Last edited by Kswhitetails; 01-04-2020, 04:20 PM.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• RANGER
                Warrior
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                I like it! I’d probably have a sling handy but unless you train with a sling it might get in the way on a home defense weapon.
                I've carried a gun for a living close to three decades. A sling for a rifle is the equivalent of a holster for a pistol. A rifle, especially an HD rifle/carbine, should have a sling.

But as you mentioned...something you should definitely train/familiarize yourself with.

Comment

• rumaco19
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2019

I wonder why, of all calibers, would you chose a long range 6.5 grendel as a home defense, unless you are defending it from down the street a couple of blocks.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

The 6.5 Grendel for home defense is cuz a bullet is a bullet. If I'm into 5.56, for long-range I can use 77-grain SMK; for home defense CQB I can use another bullet choice. Just cuz 5.56 has long-range bullet options, doesn't mean I can't use if for home defense. Right?

Same with the 6.5 Grendel.

Besides, some so-called long-range bullets for 6.5 Grendel are devastating close-up. See this VIDEO, which has an early and massive wound channel that amateur wound ballistician Dr. Roberts declared was ideal.
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• 1Shot
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

Where you should be concerned is over penetration especially on a miss. You are responsible for the bullet no matter where it goes. Something in the varmint bullet class 85 to 95 gr would probably work best for not getting outside your house but still would be a concern for others in the house. All depends on YOUR situation. In my experience and others that have talked with me about it in a stressful situation like having to defend your life you are not going to be really conscious of loud noises at that moment but will be effected by muzzle flash blindness at night. It is hard to hit what you can't see because of flash blindness. After everything is over then is when you will be aware of the Beeeeeeeeeee in your ears and everything sounding like you are under water. It really does not matter within reason what caliber of rifle or pistol or even a shotgun shot inside a house or car after the fact you will have hearing damage and even if you have hearing protection near by usually you will not have time to use it unless you have some type of pre-warning. Alarm system, dog barking etc. Touch off a 357 mag. pistol from inside a car or other small enclosure or for that matter any weapon is something I hope no one will never have to experience especially if it is to defend your life. It would be a whole other situation to have to live with harming or killing your neighbor from an over penetrating round. That is why I personally rely on pistol calibers which is I am awake I have on me or within reach with Speer Gold Dot or Hornady XTP ammo that I know is going to expand and not have enough energy to exit my brick house unless it goes through a window on a miss for protection. If I am in my bedroom and something goes bump in the night then the 12 ga. pump with #6 shot comes into play. At room distance hits like a slug but will not go through a sheetrock wall with much authority left. That is just me.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

Concerns for hearing and overpenetration are all valid and must be taken into account. Someone earlier mentioned a suppressor and I think I'm convinced that's the way to go. My first few rounds stacked in my 6.5 Grendel home defense magazine are 90-grain TNT varmint rounds.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                          Someone earlier mentioned a suppressor and I think I'm convinced that's the way to go.
                          They did.

It is.
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                          X