X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Oh, jeeze. I had a great Christmas. Anyone else?
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Ridgerider

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Why are we talking about the ATF in this thread? That's my question.

Roger on Seattle Fed office for Idaho, Denver for MT, UT, WY, ND, SD, CO. Gotta get da bosses straight, capiche.

They are criminals at the end of the day.

RIP Brian Terry
      Why are you getting your knickers in a twist and accusing people of being criminals when I and other forum members are just asking people to obey the ATF rulings and know that the person doing work on any gun for profit and anybody that receives a gun to work on for profit needs to be a FFL

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
        Oh, jeeze. I had a great Christmas. Anyone else?
        LOL yes I had a great Christmas, Back to drooling over Bill's rifle.

LRRP52----------

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

Wiping my chin with anything handy!!!
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Ridgerider

Just make sure its legal

Comment

• Sputnik
              Warrior
              • May 2013

Originally posted by montana View Post
              LOL yes I had a great Christmas, Back to drooling over Bill's rifle.

LRRP52----------
              More EGGNOG anyone?

Comment

• Tedward
                Banned
                • Feb 2013

I don't drink but just had me some eggnog icecream. Guess Christmas is in the past so we can start working on Happy New Year soon....

Comment

• Ridgerider

Happy New Year Ted and congrats on getting your FFL and there are 12 days of Christmas so it ends on the 6th jan thats my excuse anyway

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Wow, a few pictures sure stirred up a bunch of attitude.

To the best of my knowledge, NO ATF regulations, Federal or State laws were violated with the Cerakote on the weapon in the first post. The weapon never traveled anywhere by common courier.

There are some "more than gray" areas regarding painting, Cerakoting, and dipping of firearms, and I suspect that the ATF and some other Federal and State laws may actually be in contradiction. You may have noticed that even people with the correct licenses might not completely understand the laws relating to it. Having heard talks on this, I am comfortable that depending on who you talk to, you might get different answers at the ATF, just like you would if you ask a tax question at the IRS. Simply put, the laws are so stupidly complex that no one actually understands them.

There is some advice here on this thread that is incorrect, at least as it has been explained to me by various sources. (Once again, take anything you hear from an ATF spokesman with a grain of salt.) The only portion of a weapon considered to be a firearm is the serialized portion. This may be the lower receiver (as it is in the AR15), the upper receiver (as it is in some other semiauto firearms), the trigger group itself (some pistols), the sear itself, (which is a special case), etc.

Barrels are just fancy pipes, they don't constitute a firearm. They can be shipped USPS without any issues, just like AR grips, magazines, forearms, AR trigger groups, butt stocks, extensions, etc. ANY and all of these parts can be shipped to and from anyone. (Interestingly, I've been told that even convicted felons can deal in these parts, so long as NO serialized portions are ever present.) As it has been explained to me, all those parts can be dipped, painted, taped, or Cerakoted without any license whatsoever. You can buy many of these parts on Amazon, and I have done so from time to time. If no FFL is required to receive if from Amazon, or Midway, or Sinclair, etc., then you can send and receive at will to anyone.

The serialized portion requires more detail. As it has been explained to me, if someone is performing this as a service for profit, on a serialized receiver or other serialized part, then appropriate licenses must be obtained. A dealers license will generally suffice, though a manufacturers license might be necessary depending on assembly, reassembly, parts modifications, etc.

If someone is doing this service for friend, then the area becomes somewhat gray, because you are still allowed to loan Non-NFA items to friends who otherwise would be allowed to legally possess them. (Yes, I know that California, New York, Colorado, Massachusetts, etc. have some special regulations and laws, I am referring to states that are still FREE otherwise.)

Sometimes friends do nice things for each other, and if that friend were to decide to paint, tape, blue, or Cerakote your weapon for you as a gesture, then I strongly suspect that ATF would not have an issue with it. (Unless you were to do something stupid otherwise!)

Now, we are done discussing the ATF in my thread!

LOOK AT MY PURTY GUN!

Comment

• Tedward
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2013

If that is your take on a barrel then you can cut it to what ever length you want because its just a pipe. Strange analogy but it is part of the firearm as I understand it, same as you said the trigger too. Alter the safety and sear can constitute an automatic weapon. Good luck explaining that one too.

I think the entire take on the point of an FFL and the Cerakoting, transporting to an individual for applying a finish or enhancing the finish has got convoluted in the trend just like the law is getting twisted.

Each person needs to be aware of there own decision with following the laws to the best of there ability and good luck.

And yes, the guns are nice, I have a Para 14-45 and those are great pistols, very accurate and reliable.

Comment

Sorry to interrupt, but can anyone tell me where to find a scope like the one pictured? It's the Nikon Tactical....

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jfornelli View Post
                          Sorry to interrupt, but can anyone tell me where to find a scope like the one pictured? It's the Nikon Tactical....
                          Nikon changed the line after I bought that. It's now this, same scope:

Shop the latest mirrorless & DSLR cameras and NIKKOR lenses from the official Nikon eCommerce site. Explore our innovations and photo equipment!

Optics planet stocks them.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                            If that is your take on a barrel then you can cut it to what ever length you want because its just a pipe. Strange analogy but it is part of the firearm as I understand it, same as you said the trigger too. Alter the safety and sear can constitute an automatic weapon. Good luck explaining that one too.

I think the entire take on the point of an FFL and the Cerakoting, transporting to an individual for applying a finish or enhancing the finish has got convoluted in the trend just like the law is getting twisted.

Each person needs to be aware of there own decision with following the laws to the best of there ability and good luck.

And yes, the guns are nice, I have a Para 14-45 and those are great pistols, very accurate and reliable.
                            You CAN cut it to any length you want. If you attach it to a RIFLE receiver, that rifle better not have a buttstock and better fit the description of a pistol. BUT, until you attach it to a receiver, it can be any length at all!

Altered sears can fall under NFA, and fullauto sears and safeties are a completely different ball game than non NFA pieces.

We are talking about parts and pieces you can order online and have shipped directly to you, and any of those can be shipped to anyone else to have coatings applied.

Once you introduce a serial numbered part or an NFA part, (which are also all supposed to be serialized at this point) the rules change. No serial number, no NFA part, no problem.
                            Last edited by bwaites; 12-29-2013, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Diane Feinstein submitted legislation that follows the description of Tedward and Ridgerider, i.e. Quality Arms of Idaho.

It was defeated by a significant margin in the Senate earlier this year, by the upper house of the Legislative Branch of the United States, and wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of even getting out of committee in the lower house.

That bill aimed to regulate basically every part of a firearm, aside from the serialized receiver. No LEO or court has grounds to stand on by attempting to regulate any parts other than the serialized receiver.

Happy holidays, and thanks for the compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                                Nikon changed the line after I bought that. It's now this, same scope:

Shop the latest mirrorless & DSLR cameras and NIKKOR lenses from the official Nikon eCommerce site. Explore our innovations and photo equipment!

Optics planet stocks them.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-mo...iflescope.html

Thanks. The one in your pic is pretty long at the objective. The newer one in the urls you provided are no longer like that.
                                Anyway, I just thought that looked cool but I don't truly *need* it.

Comment

Working...
                                X