X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

I should probably avoid this thread, but I do have some experience with cryo treating steel. It wasn't with gun parts though. It was with my handmade knives. Here is was I noticed.
    • It cost more.
    • It made them noticeably harder to sharpen
    • I didn't notice any practicle difference in edge holding
    • It actually increased my warpage rate
    • I had a few that came back with some really hard spots.

In the end I quit doing it. An increase in hardness doesn't necessarily equate to better edge holding. Again, this isn't gun parts but it did convince me that a proper and accurate heat treatment was more important than a fancy one. Even a good type of treatment/process can be done improperly. Here are a few of the knives that I made after I stopped having them cryo treated.

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Tex Nomex
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
      I should probably avoid this thread, but I do have some experience with cryo treating steel. It wasn't with gun parts though. It was with my handmade knives. Here is was I noticed.
      • It cost more.
      • It made them noticeably harder to sharpen
      • I didn't notice any practicle difference in edge holding
      • It actually increased my warpage rate
      • I had a few that came back with some really hard spots.

* 3 Images *
      Nice pieces of cutlery you did there.

As far as cryo goes, I've known people to cryo pistons, rods, cams and rotors. Also, golf club heads.
      Whatever makes you feel more confident in your game, I guess...
      "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
      -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Yes! The placebo effect lives on!! Dance, puppets, dance!
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

On other threads you talk about purchasing multiple reamers and having more than one automated Dillon 1050. This implies you are a gunsmith who retails components to the rest of us. In this thread you imply that you are an ex-military consumer who has been 'monitoring' this thread (third party with credibility). That you have all your barrels cryoed and advise that it is cheap but that some shooters 'will not see the benefits'.

I count three new members with low post counts who are advocating this treatment...What is your business name?

Comment

• IescapedCali
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
            On other threads you talk about purchasing multiple reamers and having more than one automated Dillon 1050. This implies you are a gunsmith who retails components to the rest of us. In this thread you imply that you are an ex-military consumer who has been 'monitoring' this thread (third party with credibility). That you have all your barrels cryoed and advise that it is cheap but that some shooters 'will not see the benefits'.

I count three new members with low post counts who are advocating this treatment...What is your business name?
            I knew I wasn’t the only one to smell a rat. All 3 from AZ, all 3 insist that we honor their claims of service and experience. All 3 are the same person, in my opinion.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Guys:

TD expressed his opinion. I saw nothing where he advocated cryo treatment for barrels. He said he believed it worked.

As for Special Ops guys expressing their opinions? Noooo. Couldn't be true!

LR55

Comment

• 98Z
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post

Research him. He's legit.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

I find it amusing that here we are, on a relatively insignificant forum (head count wise) that is being spammed hard with this "Cryo Treatment".

Wonder if Barfcom, SnipersHide, and M4Carbine are getting the same treatment.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 98Z View Post
                    Research him. He's legit.
                    OK, let's start with his business name.

As for 'legit', no-one appreciates being manipulated by commercial interests disguising themselves as unbiased consumers.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                      I find it amusing that here we are, on a relatively insignificant forum (head count wise) that is being spammed hard with this "Cryo Treatment".
                      Wonder if Barfcom, SnipersHide, and M4Carbine are getting the same treatment.
                      Of course not. Everybody knows they have all cryo'ed everything they've got, including their kitchen sinks... garbage disposals sure work tons better now.
                      We must be the new untapped market.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Enough of this one.

Comment

Working...
                        X