• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
    I am not the match director, so I can not presume to know what or why on other ranges. Might be that they don't want to pull all 75 targets and trying to set them again in another location (then down and replace in 3 months) if there is hope of starting up again next year.

I may just have to set up some targets around the plant site at work (exiled to Nebraska) and shoot little mini matches of 12 or 18 rounds a couple times a week.
    Sticks:

How about those Precision Rifle Course matches? Some have to be in your area.

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

There are, but the options by and large are all FLAT. I got spoiled on the SRM shooting in a foothills environment, trees, shade, 6700 ASL 2 mile long course, and no gamers there (READ - nobody gets attitudinal on a shot call, rule bending, Sponsored shooters, etc.) No big money, points or standings. Just really good people out to have fun.

Pueblo, Byers, Greeley, Ft. Collins...all at static flat ranges that all they can offer is different shooting positions (barricades, stands...). ironically all high desert conditions. No shade unless you are a mouse or smaller that will fit under a Yucca plant.

I will be looking harder at them and give them a try. The one at Greeley (Pawnee Sportsmans Club) where I occasionally go to practice has a horrific mirage that obliterates targets at 600 and out. They supposedly have a match once a month but I have yet to find any details on it - course of fire, round count...just a $50 entry fee.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

There are, but the options by and large are all FLAT. I got spoiled on the SRM shooting in a foothills environment, trees, shade, 6700 ASL 2 mile long course, and no gamers there (READ - nobody gets attitudinal on a shot call, rule bending, Sponsored shooters, etc.) No big money, points or standings. Just really good people out to have fun.

Pueblo, Byers, Greeley, Ft. Collins...all at static flat ranges that all they can offer is different shooting positions (barricades, stands...). ironically all high desert conditions. No shade unless you are a mouse or smaller that will fit under a Yucca plant.

I will be looking harder at them and give them a try. The one at Greeley (Pawnee Sportsmans Club) where I occasionally go to practice has a horrific mirage that obliterates targets at 600 and out. They supposedly have a match once a month but I have yet to find any details on it - course of fire, round count...just a $50 entry fee.
        Sticks: Just a bit further south is Del Norte Gun Club, which hosts monthly long range precision rifle matches. I’ve only been a member for a few months and have yet to participate in one, but I have shot alongside a few of the regulars, including the match director. All seem like decent folks. The venue is rolling hills and arroyos with no shots under 400 yards. Worth considering.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Sticks:

I hear you about the PRC matches. May be worth going just to shoot the course and see what other guys are using but that isn't a long term solution.

I too prefer a venue that is practical and can be done quickly. I have set up such courses of fire when I trained Joe's and they were pretty hard to set up, score, and conduct.

Who knows, maybe you could start your own sort of practical carbine event. I bet it would be way more 'practical' than PRC or Three Gun, too.

When you get your course of fire set up and shoot it a couple of times, tell us how it went. Can always learn something here.

LR55

Comment

Working...
          X