X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I could set up a Multigun or 2-Gun Match that would leave 5.56 very handicapped and if you brought one, you would not be able to place in the top 10 slots unless all the competitors were novices.

Same with PRS. PRS stages are often set up to favor a bolt gun, but I could configure PRS stages that would make a bolt gun non-competitive.

Competitive shooting sports are really driven by the equipment and firearms limitations, focusing on the particular strengths of the action, chambering, feed device, optics, etc.

I think we're now in a stage where the capabilities of a modern semi-automatic compact rifle system are breaking the boundaries of what is doable, and how new disciplines can emerge or morph from where they're at now.

For example, what if one of the conditions of a match was that your carbine had to be concealable under a certain type of clothing, but TGT distances go out to 800yds, as well as numerous close quarters room-clearing sub stages? You can only use one "long gun" for that, and a pistol for the pistol stages.

An SBR or pistol Grendel would shine in that regard, whereas a PRS rifle could not even compete.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      3-Gun is normally geared towards .223 Rem, high capacity magazines, low recoil for tight splits at close range, with occasional longer shots out to 300, maybe 400yds.

You can load lighter bullets in Grendel and bring down your splits considerably, but you're limiting yourself with mag capacity.

Grendel would shine in a match where steel targets are engaged rapidly from 200-700yds, but 6mm AR would do better.
      +1
      3 gun like all competitions are games. The game dictates the best firearm-caliber. A course set up for the advantages of the Grendel would be a lot of fun and a welcome change of pace. Most shot gun courses have become more of a reloading challenge than a shooting one IMO. Keeping shooting fresh and challenging is always a good idea. I could think of no one better than you for promoting such an idea.

Comment

• slip357
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2018

I shot 3 gun for years till i couldnt physically do it any more and use to win a lot. Go with a 16 inch or shorter barrel put a low power scope with 45 degree iron sights , but if your longest shot is only 80 yards i would just run iron sights and wolf steel ammo. I use to shoot iron sights and our longests shots were 300 yds on a 10 inch target and would still win.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          You won't see any noticeable performance advantage with the 6x45 because it doesn't allow loading of higher BC projectiles, but you will be limited on ammunition supply to your ability to load.

From a big picture perspective, there is no distinguishable performance difference between 6x45 and 5.56 NATO.
          I have a bolt gun in 6x45, and I'm going to have to disagree with you. I can push a 70 grain bullet almost the same speed as a 22/250 out of the 6x45. Will it shoot flatter then a 70gn in a 223? Maybe,maybe not, but it's going to hit harder.

Comment

Working...
          X