• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

1760y/1mile attemp with 140g hornaday match hpbt 6.5G

im going to attempt 1 mile witht he 140g bullets since i am now offically out of 123g stuff this one might be pushing the limits just a lil but , im thinking the 130g rdf would be a much better choice for this but i dont currently have any.
    load ill be using is hornaday brass cci #400 27.5g of power pro varmint out of my 20 inch ar moving at 2332fps , be interesting to see if i can do this with a brand new load i havent shot yet outside of 100y and chrono testing

im on my lunch break right now loading up some ammo , and then i gota head back to work and doi an oil change on a tractor real fast , so prolly be setting up to shoot in around 1.5 hours
  • mel
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2019

Slight bit of a delay had to move all the reloading stuff nicer here anyways more room

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

Setting up to shoot had to run back to shop for sd card

Comment

• mel
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2019

Nogo on this today wind Picked up well beyond 20mph was about 8-10 mph when i took 2 shots to check my data in the scope im waiting till tommorow

Last edited by mel; 04-12-2020, 01:49 AM.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

1760yds is one hell of a stretch. But it looks like a lot of fun to try.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Mel:

What elevation are you using on your rifle?

LR55

Comment

• mel
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2019

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
              1760yds is one hell of a stretch. But it looks like a lot of fun to try.
              today may not be the best day to try it either but ill see how it goes
              [IMG][/IMG]

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              Mel:

What elevation are you using on your rifle?

LR55
              iirc the drop is 131.xx moa shooting at 3-4* incline , my scope is actually freaking out reticle doesnt even show on the screen till about 15 power ill dbl check when im out today

im half tempted to put my 5-25x56 glass back on the gun but then i gota figure out how to record the dang shots
              Last edited by mel; 04-12-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                Warrior
                • Oct 2014

Mel- you are sooo close! Impressive in that wind & at that distance- crazy! scope still looks good to me. my 260 rem loves these Hornady 140 hpbt's- cheap & good! I'll say it again- a Grendel at a mile, that's doing something! I wish you continued success.

Comment

• mel
                  Chieftain
                  • Nov 2019

Originally posted by A.D.D. AR View Post
                  Mel- you are sooo close! Impressive in that wind & at that distance- crazy! scope still looks good to me. my 260 rem loves these Hornady 140 hpbt's- cheap & good! I'll say it again- a Grendel at a mile, that's doing something! I wish you continued success.
                  hopefully today will be a better say heres a video from when i finished getting everything back inside the truck after i took those 2 shots

i actually had to zoom the shooting video in or u couldnt see much

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2014

man- weather moving in fast ! I'm sure on a calmer day you will nail it!

Comment

• mel
                      Chieftain
                      • Nov 2019

im in the middle of loading up the truck now need to spend some time with my creedmoor today and figure out why it isnt cycling, failure to eject and dbl feeds, but its a much calmer day out right now lil windier then i like but nothing like yesterday

Comment

• mel
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2019

Loading up some rounds now, i dbl wiegh each charge before it goes in the case , out of the powder thower (set to 27.9g) onto the digital scal to verify , then off to the beam scale for dbl check and trickling of the last .1g. Reason i use the digital is somtimes the thrower will throw a charhge at just over 28g and way faster to catch on the digital scale . out of those 50 cases ill average 2-3 over under charges out of the thrower usually by .1

Comment

• mel
                          Chieftain
                          • Nov 2019

55 140g ready to fly

I still waiting for the wind to die down right now 12 mph wind out of the north east and im shooting nne
                          Id much rather have the tail wind like yesterday

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2018

Mel,
                            Just passing an idea along. Looks like you remove your press on a regular basis w/that c-clamp. Another way to do it is take a receiver hitch with a 1/2" nut welded where the pin goes, weld the receiver to the bottom of the bench. Than you can mount your press, case trimmer, vise etc. to a piece of 2" square tube and slide whatever "TOOL" that you currently want into the receiver. Saves lots of space on a work bench. I have this setup both horizontally and vertically (welded to a piece of pipe and concreted in the ground) out in my blacksmith shop and it works great for saving space for vises, grinders, mini anvils etc.
                            I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• mel
                              Chieftain
                              • Nov 2019

Originally posted by GREYBUFF View Post
                              Mel,
                              Just passing an idea along. Looks like you remove your press on a regular basis w/that c-clamp. Another way to do it is take a receiver hitch with a 1/2" nut welded where the pin goes, weld the receiver to the bottom of the bench. Than you can mount your press, case trimmer, vise etc. to a piece of 2" square tube and slide whatever "TOOL" that you currently want into the receiver. Saves lots of space on a work bench. I have this setup both horizontally and vertically (welded to a piece of pipe and concreted in the ground) out in my blacksmith shop and it works great for saving space for vises, grinders, mini anvils etc.
                              Thats not a half bad idea , i just have it seatclamped for the moment cause i just moved all the reloadi g stuff here from home and i wasnt sure were i wanted the press was trying a few diff spots o. The bench before i drilled holes.

But i may have to use that idea instead

Comment

Working...
                              X