X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Mel, I use several different presses on the bench. I have each press on a 3/4 inch plywood plate, with 4 holes and the bench has captive nuts to bolt each press down with. Strong setup that even works for the 50BMG loading. the presses are mounted with countersunk flat head bolts to keep those bolts off the table. Just another way to work it

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

weather never cleared up today , and my buddy came down so we just played around on the farm between 5-1200 yards with my creedmoor and his 6 creed looks like the buffer in my cm is to heavy or the spring is cause creed cycles fine with the suppressor on it
      cant wait till my stuff comes in now that i got my stamp so nice not having to have ear plugs lol

anyways wensday and saturday look like my best shot at this point in the 60's and winds out of the s/sw instead of high 40's and wind out of the north , ima just keep tabs on the weather and go for it the first decent chance i get

Comment

• mel
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2019

dammit i had high hopes for tommorow but they are forcasting 10-20mph + winds

Comment

• mel
          Chieftain
          • Nov 2019

Tomorrow looks like my chance forcast is 57* with 5 mph winds out of the sw
          Tonight im either going to order some 140g eld-m 130g rdf or im really tempted to try some 135g a-tips even though they are pricey midsouth has 100 packs on sale for 67$ iirc right now

If i try those a-tips put how important is having the atip seating stem?

Comment

• mel
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2019

ok i skipped the atips for now 130g nosler rdf , and 140g eld-m on the way local gun store could get them for me at a better price then i could get online they should be here by monday

Comment

• FRB6.5
              Warrior
              • Oct 2018

As to your seating stem question, pull the stem out of the die and set an A-tip in it and see if is contacting the ogive or not.

Hornady has sold multiple seating stems with different profiles and until past few years they weren't marked. The older unmarked VLD stem fits many different projectiles, the newer # stamped offerings seem to be tailored to their specific projectile families.

Forster's seating die seems to have the most flexibility in this regard.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                Warrior
                • Nov 2018

My 1000 yard target

I will be taking this up north soon to add to my existing range. Currently targets are set at 90,142,190 and 480 yards. This new one will go out to 1000.
                Attached Files
                I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• mel
                  Chieftain
                  • Nov 2019

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
                  As to your seating stem question, pull the stem out of the die and set an A-tip in it and see if is contacting the ogive or not.

Hornady has sold multiple seating stems with different profiles and until past few years they weren't marked. The older unmarked VLD stem fits many different projectiles, the newer # stamped offerings seem to be tailored to their specific projectile families.

Forster's seating die seems to have the most flexibility in this regard.
                  thanks i passed on the a-tips for right now plan is to see how hard i can push the 130g rdf's first to give me an idea if i can push the atip fast enough to really take advantage of it in the grendel or not

Originally posted by GREYBUFF View Post
                  I will be taking this up north soon to add to my existing range. Currently targets are set at 90,142,190 and 480 yards. This new one will go out to 1000.
                  very nice , i need to find some time to build more for myself turns out 90g tnts moving at 3500fps punched holes in mine at 500 yards lol

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2018

My 480 yard target is a 2x2 section of grader blade and my 190 yd target is an edge cutting blade from a JD front end loader, it's 1 1/4 - 1 3/4" thick. (heavy as all get out. This is one that i still have in my backyard.
                    Attached Files
                    I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

• mel
                      Chieftain
                      • Nov 2019

My 480 yard target is a 2x2 section of grader blade and my 190 yd target is an edge cutting blade from a JD front end loader, it's 1 1/4 - 1 3/4" thick. (heavy as all get out. This is one that i still have in my backyard.
                      im going to cut some of my discs down to 10 inch when i build new ones i think, the one i have out now is 18 inch
                      Last edited by mel; 04-17-2020, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• mel
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2019

im going to try today at lunch time or after work

Comment

• mel
                          Chieftain
                          • Nov 2019

Did not get to attempt today due to nieghbors employees working late they wernt in the line of fire but close enough 300-400 yards to the right of my line of fire so i didnt even try

I did post this in my 140g load thread but ill post it here too this load is pretty damn accurate knocked the center out of my gong at 425
                          Last edited by mel; 04-18-2020, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2018

Mel,
                            If you can put your disc in a long burning fire (long enough to get it red) , add some air with a leaf blower to get the disc red and then let it cool slowly (bury it in sand or vermiculite), it will take some of the hardness out of it. I've used a propane cooker to get it hot so I could weld the center and keep it from cracking. Disc's are hardened and tempered to make them tough and taking the hardness out of it might keep you from shooting the center out of it. However we have punched holes in 1/2 mild steel w/high-power rifles and I've pock-marked 3/4" steel at 200 yards. AR500 is the way to go but if you are like me, I use what I have.

Comment

• mel
                              Chieftain
                              • Nov 2019

Mel,
                              If you can put your disc in a long burning fire (long enough to get it red) , add some air with a leaf blower to get the disc red and then let it cool slowly (bury it in sand or vermiculite), it will take some of the hardness out of it. I've used a propane cooker to get it hot so I could weld the center and keep it from cracking. Disc's are hardened and tempered to make them tough and taking the hardness out of it might keep you from shooting the center out of it. However we have punched holes in 1/2 mild steel w/high-power rifles and I've pock-marked 3/4" steel at 200 yards. AR500 is the way to go but if you are like me, I use what I have.

i thought about doing that when i built this one but i got lazy , im going to replace the disc tommorow so before i weld up the center ill heat it up weld it then get it red and bury it , ive prolly got 100 of those discs varying in size from 16-24 inch so doesnt make sence to buy some ar500. them damn disc are pretty dang tough

as far as what imm be shooting in the grendel from now , im pretty sure im sticking with the 90g tnts for varmints and small animals , and then 140 class for target shooting and not sure for larger game just yet might try out some of the eld-x or 120 gd's

need to see what the 130rdf's do when they get here on monday as well
                              Last edited by mel; 04-18-2020, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2018

Wish I had a source for disc's. I think I'm down to 3 left. I use them to make camping woks. This is the first one I 've used for a target.

Comment

Working...
                                X