• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by DVDVC View Post
    I finally finished my 6.5 Grendel upper build. I lapped the Aero Precision M4E receiver, bedded the JP 22 in. heavy barrel.
    JP's don't get discussed around here much. I've never heard a bad word. Congrats.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• DVDVC
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2020

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
      JP's don't get discussed around here much. I've never heard a bad word. Congrats.
      I wonder why that is? It certainly fills a niche between the top shelf Bartlien, Lilja, etc. and the rack grades. Perhaps Wilsons fall in the same category? I'm currently building an AR 10 6.5 Creedmoor with a Wilson barrel, I hope it performs as well as my 6.5G JP does.

Comment

• Popeye212
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2018

Klem, thanks for the input. I realize that an AR won't shoot like a bolt gun. I mentioned it only in reply to Grayfox's question of a new gun shooting sub-MOA out of the box. Your reasoning on the cost difference of a top tier barrel makes a lot of sense, but I'd have trouble springing for a $700 Bartlien. Do you have an opinion on the Wilson Super Sniper? Would you consider it a Tier 2 barrel or somewhere in between Top Tier and Tier 2?
        I have a Wilson Combat barrel (my second one in 300 Hamr) the first would not group under 2 " (more like 3). I am looking for a better barrel. My next barrel for the Grendel will be a Krieger or Bartlein from Mark at PF. I have a Ballistic Advantage that will do .75 and with the right loads .3. But the top tier barrels are much more consistent. Wilson barrels in my opinion are overrated and not "Match" grade. I am looking for something else for the Hammer.

Comment

• Glockpride
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
          I have a Wilson Combat barrel (my second one in 300 Hamr) the first would not group under 2 " (more like 3). I am looking for a better barrel. My next barrel for the Grendel will be a Krieger or Bartlein from Mark at PF. I have a Ballistic Advantage that will do .75 and with the right loads .3. But the top tier barrels are much more consistent. Wilson barrels in my opinion are overrated and not "Match" grade. I am looking for something else for the Hammer.
          Just an FYI but Wilson barrels and Wilson Combat are two different entities.

Edited: in .300hamr you do have a Wilson Combat barrel as Bill designed that round.

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Wilson Combat didn't know there were two different ones. Hopefully Wilson's are better.

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

Sanders uses a Wilson Arms barrel doesn't it? Also... doesn't white oak use Wilson Arms blanks? I think maybe the barrel doesn't like that load. I had a 20" Wilson Arms that shot the 120gr federal otm at just under 1moa but hated hornady anything.

Comment

• Bill2336
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2020

I wasn't sure I wanted to get into the Grendel originally so I went cheap. Cheap as in I got the barrel, a 64 dollar 20" heavy barrel no label, from Classic Firearms and paired it with a 79 dollar BCG. I've got a couple of loads with Barnes Match Burners that will consistently do .6MOA and it'll consistently do .9 or better with Hornady ELD match bullets, both 120s and 130s. I got lucky I know and sometimes I think about dropping at least a mid tier barrel in it but there's a perverse sort of satisfaction in shooting sub MOA groups with a bargain basement barrel.

Comment

• Popeye212
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2018

A5, do you have an opinion on the Wilson Super Sniper 22in. barrel. Looks like a great buy at $304. I don't think I can justify a $700+ Bartlien, but who knows?
                  I am on my second 300 HAMR barrel I am waiting for another top tier barrel to become available. I would invest the $300 in a better barrel. First one I got wasn't even crowned.

Comment

• vmthtr
                    Unwashed
                    • Nov 2022

How well do you read the wind? The mirage? Small changes can open a .25" group to .75" or more. Not using windflags, itll be hard to get groups under 1"

Comment

• Sinclair
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

O311B wrote:
                      Originally posted by 0311B View Post
                      This is exactly the question that I've been wanting to ask as well. I put together a decent upper, but I'm getting very poor accuracy so far with Hornady Black and Hornady Custom. The Black ELD-Ms average 2.75" at 100 yards, the Custom SSTs much worse, so much so that I didn't bother measuring them.

I would try different ammo, but I can't find other ammo. I built this upper in the middle of a "pandemic" and an election cycle, so.. I'm saving brass and will be developing loads as soon as I can pick up some small rifle primers and powder.

I'm blaming it on the barrel, a Sanders Armory 24" Stainless 5R 1/8. I wonder if it's a whippy barrel? Did they send me a lemon? If I have it chopped down would it stiffen up? Like Klem said, is a long heavy barrel on an AR15 upper a mismatched pair? The receiver is 7075 Aero.

I didn't bed the barrel into the receiver, but if the barrel I bought is a lemon, I'm glad that I didn't. When I get one that shoots well I'll bed that.
                      My CZ bolt rifle doesn't like Hornady Black, even my reloads with Hornady components won't Perform. Just maybe you will have to start reloading 6.5 Grendel sooner than you planned with other brand components to get the groups that will satisfy you.
                      Last edited by Sinclair; 07-26-2023, 03:21 PM.
                      "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                      Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                      Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                      X