• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
    How much ammo did you bring, how much did you use?
    They ask that you bring 500 rounds. I shot about 260. I'm not bragging when I say I think I shot less because I had mostly first round hits. Those with more follow up shots shot more of course.

I'll say again that Spencer "Doc" Clarke did a great job calling the wind for us. I did what he said and I never shot more than twice.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
      They ask that you bring 500 rounds. I shot about 260. I'm not bragging when I say I think I shot less because I had mostly first round hits. Those with more follow up shots shot more of course.

I'll say again that Spencer "Doc" Clarke did a great job calling the wind for us. I did what he said and I never shot more than twice.
      Ha! Love it. And hey, it's not a crime to brag. Go for it - you did good. You picked the right gear, and you knew how to run it. Brag away
      4x P100

Comment

• Glockpride
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

Great report and excellent feedback! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

"Paging BFT, paging BFT. I have a Mr. Litz for you on line three."
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Well done Biodsl. Nice AAR (After Action Report).

Grendel's have been known to be performers up to and past 1k for a while. I ran mine at the monthly Sporting Rifle Match in Raton for the first two years I shot it, and my best score ever came from my 18". Farthest target is 885, and one stage the closest is 700.

Good data on your rifle and ammo, good dope, good skills and you can get your first round hits with just about anything if the equipment is sound.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

BD:

A huge amount of money for two days of shooting. What did you get out of it that was worth what must have ended up being at least $1500.00?

LR55

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                BD:

A huge amount of money for two days of shooting. What did you get out of it that was worth what must have ended up being at least $1500.00?

LR55
                Paul Peloquin

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

BD:

I was about to say go to LRRP 52 because he actually trains people.

One of the frustrating things about commercial training facilities is that they tend to put guys through a lot of drills but rarely train or coach them.

LR55

Comment

• lazyengineer
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2019

My own take, is to take every oportunity you have to stretch your exposure. If you shoot 20 rounds a year, and hunt once a year and don't really care - totally cool. But if you invest a notable portion of your discretionary time into shooting sports and the hobby, then you should push your boundaries frequently, to be the best you can be.

Classes like this, are part of that. It's an opportunity and exposure to a type of shooting with a setting and instruction from experts outside your normal access. If it's done in a fun manner, go for it! Would I personally spend $1500 for it? Eh.. maybe not. But I have had access to much lower cost versions or components of much of this, so I don't have to. If you're a regular suburband dude, with no access to long=range shooting, and limited experience in formal sports of 3-gun, High Power, etc; that $1500 investment returned a Hell of a lot of knowledge and exposure, I bet.

I once did a 3-gun night shoot. Cost me $300 to go. I totally got my ass kicked. And learned so much, that I'm really happy I went.

Push your boundaries to be all you can be - and I think it's great you went to this match, and great that you wrote it up. Which is another thing. In my experience as a professional and as a shooter, I find that you don'r really understand and analyze what happened, until you write the report. Only then do you trully analyze the data and digest the results. And so, write-ups like this are great; and often why my own posts can sometimes seem long. Because half the time, the audience for that report was actually me, to complete my analysis and assessment of what happened

Thanks again for the post!
                    4x P100

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2018

The farthest I have ever shot was 500 yards; and last time I did was 2009. I would easily pay $1500 for two whole days of shooting to 700 and beyond.

As an aside "green tip" is the most accurate bullet for the job. 9 or 10 out of 10 shots at 500 yards on a half human silhouette with a 10 year old, poorly cared for rifle. What else does a grunt need?

Comment

• RANGER
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2016

Interesting. Do you think with that new Ogive the Grendel could push that 140? I thought traditionally anything over 130 was too much for the Grendel

Comment

• NightStalker
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2018

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

I used the last of my stash of Hornady 123 A-Maxs. 31.2 grains of CFE223 @ 2.245" using CCI 450 primers in Hornady 4 or 5 fired brass.
                            Last edited by biodsl; 12-14-2021, 06:32 PM.
                            Paul Peloquin

Comment

• DfnsMn69
                              Unwashed
                              • Nov 2021

Being from Oregon previously I've had the opportunity to take 2 courses at Thunder Ranch from Clint... Def Hand Gun and the Tactical Rifle & Pistol course.. I have never been so damn tired or learned so much over the span of those courses. Clint is not everybody's cup of tea but I can tell you that he is a certifiable badass gunfighter and I am damn glad to have invested in bettering my skills learning from him. If I have a chance in the next year and it becomes available I will be taking his High Angle Rifle course because here in the Canyon Country of Northern Idaho I can put those skills to use.

Comment

Working...
                              X