• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Wolf Steel - at 500 yards

This round gets beat up on a lot. But in a barrel that likes it, it can shoot just fine for $0.27/round ammo.

Note I called Shot #8 as a low shot. And probably should have come up a couple clicks, and it would have darned near cleaned it.

20" Alexander Arms 1/9 twist HBAR off a bipod.
    4x P100
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

I suspect (but haven't verified at all), that Alexander knows the Wolf Steel is 0.262 dia, since he helped develop it. And so does something with his own barrels to still work with that (maybe extra tall lands?).
    4x P100

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

LE,
      what were the range conditions like? i see more vertical spread (higher ES/SD) than horizontal (wind). when I occasionally shoot with the f-classers at mid range, which for them is 600 yards, i get coached that what they want to see for inexperienced shooters (me) with handloads is a horizontal dispersion (water table?). If the ES/SD is low, like they recommend for long distance shooting, one will get less vertical dispersion at distance. L/R dispersion is due to my inexperience with reading and compensating for variable wind conditions. If i end up with L/R dispersion, I can get some wind coaching. If I have a lot of vertical, they tell me go back to the drawing board wrt my reloads. Large ES/SD really shows up at distance. These guys keep tweaking loads until their SDs are single digits. Like 5 or so. I'm not there yet. My SDs are not consistently in the single digits. once in a while. I still haven't pinpointed what is varying to give me SDs in the low teens more often. however there are a lot of variables to consider when working to get SDs in the single digits. And not only does it have to have low SD, it also has to group well. due to barrel harmonics and such the two conditions don't always arrive together.

Still, you shot the rig/ammo pretty well LE. Congrats. well done.

is that the F-Class mid range, with the 1/2 MOA X ring or is that the standard NRA high power iron sight X ring of 1 MOA ?

again, congrats!!
      -tdbru

Comment

• Fodderwing
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2022

I would be happy with results any day of the week, twice on Sundays.

Comment

• Fess
          Warrior
          • Jun 2019

I have a vague recollection that Bill Alexander once said that the Russian ammo liked "deep, sharp, European-style" rifling. I noticed that the rifling in my Russian Saiga 7.62x39 was relatively thin and deep, FWIW. The groove to land ratio looked like 70/30.

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

Imagine my surprise when my Black Hole Weaponry with its polygonal rifling shoots Wolf SC at 2 moa at 100 yards. The best my AA ultralight can do is 4.
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
              I suspect (but haven't verified at all), that Alexander knows the Wolf Steel is 0.262 dia, since he helped develop it. And so does something with his own barrels to still work with that (maybe extra tall lands?).
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SDW
                Warrior
                • Jul 2018

From what I understand, vertical spread can also be from an improperly used rest. Anyone else heard of that? Apparently, if shooting prone, laying on a mat is counter productive. And/or inconsistent stock-to-shoulder engagement. Anyone else hear that? I read it in here a while back:

And within that thread is a link to this page:

6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards, Reader Polls, and Photo Gallery. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Equipment reviews (.243 bullets, 30BR cartridge, 6mm Norma Improved, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, 1000yd ranges, ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

Thanks for the inputs. FWIW, The one dropped round, I called as a low shot. Remove that one low shot, and there's pretty much no vertical spread greater than horizontal/group size.

For cheap Wolf Steel I was just playing around with, I find these results pretty astounding, personally!
                  4x P100

Comment

• justinspicher
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2019

I was impressed with the wolf ammo I was given. I shot it with consistent results on steel between 100-450yds, from a bipod off the hood of my tacoma.

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

My experience with the Wolf Steel has been very good, 200-300 yards. Anyone have any for about $0.20/round they don't like? Call me!
                      If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

But in a barrel that likes it, it can shoot just fine...
                        A statement that could be said for just about any ammo, of course. Problem is that for Wolf, a lot of barrels don't seem to like it, no doubt in part because it is a tad undersized as you note.

If if works for you and your gun/barrel, OUTSTANDING!
                        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Fess
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                            A statement that could be said for just about any ammo, of course. Problem is that for Wolf, a lot of barrels don't seem to like it, no doubt in part because it is a tad undersized as you note.

If if works for you and your gun/barrel, OUTSTANDING!
                            I wonder if he would find that he has a batch with bullets that are slightly larger than typical for Wolf. One reason to start with undersized dies is to allow a longer time before the formed components become oversized. As the dies wear, the bullets could eventually get to normal 6.5 diameters. I don't think that we ever found out what the production tolerances are for the bullet.

Comment

• Big_John
                              Unwashed
                              • Mar 2022

Good to see...... have a bunch of this ammo and pleased it performs....

Comment

Working...
                              X