Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bags or bipods?

Opinions?

For strictly paper work from a bench, a good front rest with proper bag. If you plan to do any field shooting with a bipod, sight in with it as it can affect poi and group sizes. I know the theory of free floating says the bipod shouldn't change anything, but it can. Not saying it always does, but I have an ar upper that changes poi with a bipod. And I've seen some bolt guns that would not shoot with a bipod attached.

Richard

Comment

• babaganoush
      Warrior
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
      For strictly paper work from a bench, a good front rest with proper bag. If you plan to do any field shooting with a bipod, sight in with it as it can affect poi and group sizes. I know the theory of free floating says the bipod shouldn't change anything, but it can. Not saying it always does, but I have an ar upper that changes poi with a bipod. And I've seen some bolt guns that would not shoot with a bipod attached.

Richard
      +1

Practice using the setup you'll employ in the field. Also remember that shooting from a bench and shooting prone involve different pressure points on your cheek weld and shoulder. I've seen POI shift when moving between the two positions.

Insofar as which is better is concerned - I'd say whatever gives you the best comfort and accuracy. My results would likely not translate to yours, based soley on choice of bag or bipod.

Also, check this out:

BugHoles from a Bipod

More than just Bipod information there, but it certainly gives one much to ponder.

David
      "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Much more difficult to be consistently precise with the bipod in my opinion. However, I mean the tactical bipods and not the F Class Bipods. My bet is the very wide and more rigid bipods used in F Class would be more stable and more able to take hard packed dirt or concrete. The problem is that these bipods aren't as adjustable.

Sand bags are much better if a person will be stationary.

LR55

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

When we compete in our long range competition most people bring bipods of every configuration. Depending on the time of year and the height of the grass a bipod rules but shooting sticks can be useful and many of us bring packs if the grass isn't too tall. If your shooting off a bench or an area where grass isn't a problem a bag is the way to go. When I'm shooting groups off a bench I use sand bags as LR1955 recomends.

Comment

Thank you for all the tips (and the Froggy articles).

It is a real challenge to keep the bipod from hopping around on cement.

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Bags for most bench shooting, including load development.

Bipod for some field use.
              Drifter

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Front rest and rear bag for load testing. In the field I used to use bipods but now use either the day-pack I am carrying or cordura bags filled with ultra-light filler. The filling in those horse-shoe aircraft neck pillows is lighter than the filling used by retailers like Triad. Replace the filler with this stuff and you won't notice the weight.

Comment

When shooting prone in timed "multiple steel plate" competitions I use bags due to the pivot point of the rifle being right in front of the magazine vs out nearer the muzzle when using a bipod. This creates much shorter target to target movements which decreases transition times quit a bit. Plus, good sand or gravel bags don't let the rifle bounce as when using a bipod.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

When rules allow, we have been using bipods (and rear bags) in competition, about half the time shooting from concrete. I am reaching the same conclusion as many of you, that the bounce is a problem... especially on those "Skinny Sammies" and smaller "KYL" plates. Next match we will probably go to bags exclusively.

Comment

There are guys in action competitions who run around with bags on the front of their rifles, as well as on their elbows, and they are some of the top competitors in the Nation sponsored by GAP and others.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        There are guys in action competitions who run around with bags on the front of their rifles, as well as on their elbows, and they are some of the top competitors in the Nation sponsored by GAP and others.

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          Guys:

Is there a name for this sport?

It is pretty funny that folks would run around with sand bags attached to parts of their body and rifles. I know -- these are small bags filled with light stuff but none the less, it is humorous.

If anything it resolves the debate about the efficacy of bipods verses sand bags as support for the rifle.

LR1955

Comment

• Drifter
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                            ...shooting from concrete. I am reaching the same conclusion as many of you, that the bounce is a problem...
                            FWIW, if shooting with a bipod from a hard surface, it usually helps to "load" the bipod and not simply shoot with free recoil. Otherwise, POI will often be ~1 moa high. Shooting with a loaded bipod seems to be where an Atlas shows an advantage over a Harris. YMMV...
                            Drifter

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

I've found that a Bag is steadier, but less convenient. (I'm still getting my head around the image of competitors running around with bags strapped to their rifles). From a bench, I don't think there is any question about which would offer the best groups, but this is not a good field situation, in my experience. If you practice enough with a bipod, you can get very respectable accuracy and precision. I have encountered plenty of scenarios where a bag was just not practical, but I've seldom found one where a bipod couldn't be employed.

I also agree with the practice of loading the bipod, as I've found that it reduces hopping and helps enforce a consistent approach to each shot. I have several Harris's, and they all respond well to loading, in my experience.

Just my .02
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X