Multi-Gun Training/Fun Comp September 18-20 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to update everyone, the course fee will be $495 for 3 days and 2 nights of unprecedented Multi-gun training across several disciplines:

* Practical Application of Violence in Plainclothes CCW Scenarios. This is probably the most useful part of the course, and will cover unsanitary use of force in violent encounters at conversational ranges, focusing on concealed carry pistol live fire as a last resort of the escalation of force continuum.

* Close Quarters Marksmanship with Carbine. Introduction to learning how to actually fight with a carbine within 100yds.

* Designated Marksman/Intermediate Rifle Marksmanship. This will be a formal series of instruction on taking your rifle or carbine out to 600yds effectively, from realistic shooting positions dictated by the terrain you find yourself in. It will include dialing into your shooter's zen fundamentals quickly, reading the wind, and compensating for trajectory factors out to 600yds.

Both nights will be utilized for training under low light/no light conditions with the pistol and carbines.

At the end of the course, there will be a culmination exercise formatted in a way that introduces competition into the mix, with a provided luncheon. You will walk away a different and well-rounded thinker and shooter.

Comment

Selway has 123gr SST's for $17.99 a box of 20. This will be a great load for the Intermediate Rifle Marksmanship training if you are bringing a Grendel.

Loaded with Hornady's 123 Grain SSTbullet, this round combines proven Hornady performance with a higher ballistic coefficient than available with most hunting bullets. The sharp, pointed polymer tip creates a faster, flatter shooting bullet. With its one-piece core and jacket strengthened in critical areas, the SST delivers much more controlled expansion and superior weight retention than other tipped bullets. Featuring Hornady's trade mark InterLock ring system, this bullet's core and jacket remain locked solid during expansion, creating massive wound channels.Technical Information Caliber: 6.5 Grendel Bullet Weight: 123 Grains Bullet Style: SST Case Type: Brass Ballistics Information: Muzzle Velocity: 2580 fps Muzzle Energy: 1818 ft. lbs.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

How many rounds do you anticipate a shooter will need?

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Just to update everyone, the course fee will be $495 for 3 days and 2 nights of unprecedented Multi-gun training across several disciplines:

* Practical Application of Violence in Plainclothes CCW Scenarios. This is probably the most useful part of the course, and will cover unsanitary use of force in violent encounters at conversational ranges, focusing on concealed carry pistol live fire as a last resort of the escalation of force continuum.

* Close Quarters Marksmanship with Carbine. Introduction to learning how to actually fight with a carbine within 100yds.

* Designated Marksman/Intermediate Rifle Marksmanship. This will be a formal series of instruction on taking your rifle or carbine out to 600yds effectively, from realistic shooting positions dictated by the terrain you find yourself in. It will include dialing into your shooter's zen fundamentals quickly, reading the wind, and compensating for trajectory factors out to 600yds.

Both nights will be utilized for training under low light/no light conditions with the pistol and carbines.

At the end of the course, there will be a culmination exercise formatted in a way that introduces competition into the mix, with a provided luncheon. You will walk away a different and well-rounded thinker and shooter.
          Looking forward to it . Thanks for the up date.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            How many rounds do you anticipate a shooter will need?
            It's in this...

By popular demand, I am hosting a 3-day Multi-Gun CCW, Carbine, Intermediate Range Rifle Training & Competition Event this September 18th-20th, to include both Day and Night live-fire in practical scenario-based settings. Day 1 * CCW Pistol training in the morning * Lunch * Close Quarters Carbine Marksmanship
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              Thanks! I just flat missed that post!

Comment

As you prepare for this course, I would submit that safety is our #1 priority. I want everyone to go home with the same amount of holes that they show up with before we start training. I am very mindful of safety, while pushing the limits of live fire training based on attendee maturity and competence.

One of the main things we will be doing is a lot of drawing from concealment and shooting. Start working out your pistol/holster solution and all the clothing you will bring, to include parkas and fleece in case of inclimate weather. There have been several cases of LEO's that have negligently discharged their handguns into themselves after allowing drawstring lock components to enter their trigger guards when re-holstering.

We will be doing a lot of re-holstering with live pistols in concealment holsters. Many concealment holsters on the market are not well-suited to re-holstering. All-leather holsters particularly are difficult to conduct this task with, unless reenforced with material to hold them open to receive the pistol. This is why I have used kydex for years and years now.

One holster I can recommend ready to go is the Haley Strategic/G-Code INCOG. It is one of the top CCW holster solutions on the market currently.

Also consider ordering the caddy mag for your particular pistol. The INCOG allows even wirey and small-framed people to carry a large-frame semi-auto concealed very well with casual clothing. I personally favor the appendix carry position after a lifetime of chasing concealment solutions.

Appendix allows you to conceal well, draw from a seated position while in a vehicle much easier, and is faster than any other CCW position in my experience. There is no need to move your torso when reaching for the initial purchase and draw stroke like there is with hip, behind the hip, etc.

Your carry solution is going to depend more on your unique anatomy and how the pistol interfaces between that and the holster. When working with clothing, think about what could possibly go wrong, and mitigate those potential failure points from a mindset, training, and equipment approach.

One example is:

I'm working out my inclimate weather clothing with a cleared, dry gun (no ammuntion near me or the firearm), let's say with a parka or even a loose button up shirt. Using exaggerated clothing clearance, I work on the draw stroke, and then stop to look at what could go wrong when I re-holster.

* With the parka, they commonly have drawstring locks and tabbed zippers. Is the zipper or any hardware near the pistol when I re-holster? Is there a chance the zipper or tab can get caught in the trigger guard?

* With the button up shirt, are the front tails and hem potentially an entanglement hazard with the firearm and trigger guard?

We want trouble-free, streamlined clothing when it comes to drawing and re-holstering. Clip, cut, tape, remove, and eliminate potential clothing hazards in and around the area of your drawing and re-holstering workspace.

Appendix carry takes care of a lot of this, but there are still plenty of potential hazards that can rear their head when re-holstering especially.

Something to think about as you prepare for the course.

Comment

Another thing to check is the recall lists for your firearms. There is a laundry list of safety recalls for pistols that have been manufactured in the last 18-24 months, to include a number of very popular CCW pistols:

Examples include:

* Springfield XDS, both 9mm and .45 ACP models, with a very long service time (issues involved doubling and firing upon slide release)
                  * Smith & Wesson M&P Shield (drop test issues ) My Shield fell within the serial number range, I conducted the test on their website, it's fine. https://secure05.lwcdirect.com/front...&campaignID=63
                  * Ruger LCP (drop test failure) Don't bring a pocket .380 to a high volume course as a general rule of thumb. They rarely are capable of enduring the round count in such a compressed time frame.
                  Basically, do a search for your pistol with "safety recall" next to the model and manufacturer, go to their site, and follow the recommendations from them. Most of the recalls involve small serial number ranges, but it makes sense to follow the test procedures that identify issues in the problem guns, even if you fall outside the range.

I have 4 extra holes in me because of negligence combined with a recalled pistol that the owner was not aware of. Always keep a firearm pointed in a safe direction. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to perforate what is in front of the muzzle. Be aware of what is in front of your muzzle, behind target backstops, and the ballistic potential of your firearm/cartridge system with regards to spalling and ricochets. Always treat a firearm as a loaded firearm, with respect and high levels of cognitive awareness in the moment.

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

[I have 4 extra holes in me because of negligence combined with a recalled pistol that the owner was not aware of. ]

Ouch, I bet this person is off your Christmas list.

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
                      [I have 4 extra holes in me because of negligence combined with a recalled pistol that the owner was not aware of. ]

Ouch, I bet this person is off your Christmas list.
                      But he has cool scars! Thus you understand his safety mindset!

Comment

• explorecaves

There will be none of this either.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Some ATF and DEA types always seem to provide us with an inexhaustible list of what NOT to do's...
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

The problem really comes down to people taking the presence and use of firearms for granted, and not being highly aware of what they are doing.

It's easier to do if you learn not to respect firearms, even for just one moment. No past accomplishment can compensate for failure in the current moment. If you build habits that maintain high awareness and respect for firearms in every moment, you will be successful.

Comment

• montana
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Absolutely, anyone who shoots in practical shooting knows safety is priority one through 100. I have seen top shooters D.Q. in a moment of miss judgement. If a person D.Q. 's they are done for the day, if they cop an attitude they are told not to come back. I have no desire to shoot with careless shooters, I'm on board with you on this topic.

Comment

My injuries occurred while in the Army. I had a very acute sense of safety already from childhood. For some reason, it was me telling my dad where the firing line would be, muzzle awareness, and general concept of our improvised ranges out in the desert.

As a SAW or 240 gunner in a formal patrolling course, I would go out of my way to dip my muzzle when careless individuals walked in front of me, rather than through the choke point in the security halt, and that was before I was shot. Most soldiers don't have that good of a sense of muzzle awareness in my experience, as there was a very relaxed mood around weapons, until you got into smaller units where your actions are under the microscope.
                                Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X