Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • concepthomes1

cutting a grendel barrell

I.would like a shorter barrel. My current barrel is 24" long, I shoot only hornady factory loaded 123 gr a-max, and I only deer hunt with it. Could I go down to a 18"-20" barrel and still be accurate for a kill shot.

Some folks are getting great accuracy from shorter barrels. Do you get good accuracy now? You will lose velocity & energy but not a great amount. How far do you plan to shoot?

Comment

• concepthomes1

I get okay accuracy. My shots are no longer than 200 yds. My ideal situation would have been to get a 6.8 instead of a 6.5, but that was mucho dollars ago

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

There is nothing a 6.8 can do that a 6.5 can't, but the 6.5's higher BC bullets carry energy further. What 24" barrel do you have, what setup?

Comment

• StoneTower

You may be able to trade your 24" barrel for the length of your choice. With a few simple tools and a torque wrench you can change your own barrel.

Comment

If you are only getting "ok" accuracy, I doubt it would be any better & possibly not as good if you have it cut. Only way it might get better accuracy would be if your crown is not "good" or is damaged & if you pay the money to get a good 'smith to put a good crown on it after cutting. Like StoneTower says, I suspect you could trade it or sell it outright & with just a few more dollars added in, have the length barrel you think you want. I'm sure an 18" barrel would still have plenty of velocity for 200yd shots.

Comment

Just a range report for those looking at bullet performance Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip... 30.0 grns Win 748 197 Yds up the tail pipe .. Bullet stopped in base of the neck weighted 89.1 Grns for a retained weight of 74.25% Great mushroom .. Deer dropped in tracks

Comment

• concepthomes1

I have an AA 6.5 barrel, twist unknown, with an A2 flash hider on the end. I say okay accuracy because I only shoot paper to sight in the scope, and as long as my groups are tight enough for kill shots, I'm okay with that.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

Twist is 1 in 9 with a rifle length gas system and a 0.093" gas port. These can be cut to 20" with no problem and require only the cut and crown work. Twist and gas system remains the same. It will get a little more finicky on operation with light bullets.

Comment

• concepthomes1

Bill, thank you so much.

Comment

• usmc1371
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2011

thinking about cutting a 24" inch down to 20". talked to a gunsmith here locally he wanted $150 to cut,crown and cut new thead. is that about right for the price?

Comment

• Clod Stomper

That sounds about right. It's what I gave to cut and rethread a barrel a few months ago.

Will

Comment

• usmc1371
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2011

i think ill buy a range rod and cut the barrell myself. i dont need a threaded muzzle. cost about $55 for the range rod.

Comment

No reason not to do it yourself, just make sure you get the new crown as close to perfect as you possibly can. If its scratched, dinged, crooked or anything of the sort accuracy will likely go out the window. If you have the tools to pull it out of the receiver yourself you might be able to find a machine shop locally that can lathe turn it for you for a fair price as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X